up until this morning my ARC setup worked flawlessly. The app on my iPhone connected quickly and without any hiccups. This morning it sopped and my app cannot connect to my Core anymore. I did update the app yesterday to version 1.0.10 so this might be connected to the issue.
I have disconnected the app from the Core, uninstalled the app multiple times also but to no avail. ARC finds my core as per the image below but will not connect. The ARC setup on my Mac also shows that the Core is available outside of my home network. Nothing has changed there.
I’ve been using Roon ARC on my Nothing Phone 1 for a while now, however today I’ve encountered a problem. ARC is “ready” on my Roon Core, so the port forwarding is working perfectly, but despite the fact that my phone can find the Core, it can’t connect to it. I press connect and it sits there loading without actually connecting. The curious thing is that when I attempted to connect with my older phone, a Samsung Galaxy S10, on the same network, it worked out just fine. That leads me to believe it’s a phone issue rather than a network one but I just can’t figure out what it is.
I’ve reset the router and pressed forget on my phone, so that it could reconnect to the network but nothing has worked thus far.
Same problem on both a Samsung Note 22 Ultra and a Samsung Tablet. Both worked fine before the latest update. Tried logging out; but then it will not log back in. Roon core ARC test shows no problems. So frustrating!!!
Today, I encountered the same problem.
Roon remote is working perfectly, and Roon Core is also working well.
But when I updated Roon program on PC and ARC app with the latest version today, and turned on Roon ARC app on Android phone, the message in the bottom of the screen says “Something went wrong”!
and another message “Poor connection” message pops up later.
I uninstalled the app and reinstalled the app.
When I logged in, it keeps searching for Roon Core, failing to connect with Core.