Aries and Aries Mini grouped but out of sync

Thanks Eric, I have previously tried the following

• Router - > Ethernet Cable - > Auralic Aries + endpoint components
  • Router - > Ethernet Cable -> Auralic Aries Mini + endpoint components

But not

• Router - > Ethernet Cable - > MacBook Pro (Roon Core)

Tried today and it has not resolved the issue.

One point, my Roon Core is located on my NAS (but connected to the router by ethernet) , incase this could play a part?

Steve.

Thank you for the feedback @Stephen_Wilson, I appreciate you taking the time to verify that information!

Moving forward, I have setup a meeting today with our tech staff and one of our senior devs to discuss this behavior you are experiencing when the mentioned Aurlaic devices are being grouped together. Once I have some feedback and a clearer sense of the “next steps forward” I will be sure to provide you with an update ASAP.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Sorry to interrupt this forensic investigation, which is excellent customer service, but have you dismissed the Phantoms as the cause of the sync issue?
I tried to integrate Phantoms with passive speakers, in a 7.1 multi channel system, and needed an audio delay device to the passive speakers to sync the different speakers.

Thanks Alan for your response - interesting - it has been suggested that the Phantoms DSP may be playing a part, which I understand is not configurable for Phantom - unfortunately I know nothing about it and therefore can’t comment. Re an audio delay devise, I’ll do some research, though my gut feeling is the main system (controlled by the superior Aries (as opposed to the Aries Mini and the Phantoms) to playing ahead of the Aries Mini, so I would expect that the delay is needed on the main system (passive speakers).

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the effort being put in by Roon.

Just one point I’m also having the problem with AURALIC’s software ‘Lightening’ (which I prefer not to use), with the Aries and Aries Mini grouped, playing to both systems (as in not using Roon) and the issue is the same.

Hey @Stephen_Wilson – can you confirm if the devices are “drifting”, meaning the are getting more out of sync over time, or if they are starting out of sync and staying that way with a consistent offset?

My take is the latter - starting and staying out of sync to the same degree, though I can’t be 100% sure. It is so displeasing that I can’t even listen to a track in its entirety - will listen for longer tomorrow and post result.

Alan, thinking more about your post - my situation may be the same as your, as in I think the passive speakers are playing ahead of the Phantoms (hard to determine accurately) - can you share a link to the product you used?

This may not be the only item of its type but is the one I used and still have although now redundant.

AU-D18 Lip Sync Corrector

Hey @Stephen_Wilson – sorry for the slow response here.

I think maybe Eric and I were both assuming you were experiencing drift, which can be a very tricky situation to debug.

If the offset between the two zones is consistent, you should be able to align everything in Roon to compensate for the delay, which I am guessing is coming from the Phantoms.

I would play around with the Sync Adjustment setting shown here:

Try delaying the Devialet 200 and see if that helps here – if it does, great, and apologies for the confusion!

Thanks Alan will take a look, Steve.

So I think there is a real issue with AURALIC - I’ve noticed I need the Aries and Aries Mini grouped in Lightning (AURALIC’s software), otherwise when I group the Aries and Aries Mini in Roon only the devise selected in Lightening will play. Even when grouped in Lightening I’ve found the Aries Mini sometimes wont play at all (grouped with the Aries or when selected by itself) until I go back to Lightening and regroup them agin, so I now believe Lightening is part of the problem and so fare AURALIC have not been much help. Starting to think ARALIC do not have a solution to play multiple systems using multiple devises, despite their claimes.

When I can get both systems playing one once I still can’t get them in sync. Retired increasing the sync adjustment 1 number at a time (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, … 10 ) for the Aries (controlling the Devialet 200 and passive speakers) to no avail. Also tried it the other way by increasing the sync adjustment one at a time for the Aries Mini (controlling the Phantoms), rather than the Aries, again to no avail - I now believe there is ‘drift’ and not stable, as I first thought.

OK unfortunately I can now confirm there is drift.

Thanks for the feedback @Stephen_Wilson, as always, the insight is greatly valued!

Moving forward, we are going to be doing some additional testing in QA lab and will also be discussing this issue with our CTO for further feedback on the behavior later in the week. If any progress or new observations are made please let us know.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Thanks and will do, Steve.

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Wilson ---- Thank you for your patience here and my apologies for the wait in response.

Moving forward, as mentioned in my previous I did have a chance to get some feedback from our CTO in regard to this behavior being experienced when trying to group the Aries and Aries mini together. As per the conversation, the first step should be to ungroup everything in the Auralic’s Lightning DS app and focus on the “group config” in Roon.

Secondly, as we understand it, the phantom(s) (i.e " Aries Mini -> Toslink -> Phantom) may be doing some more “time intensive processing” and the team has recommended trying to further increase the sync adjustment on that zone. I am guessing you are going to need higher numbers than what has already been tried (previously: “0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, … 10”) and would consider starting at, let’s say 60ms, and continuing up from there.

-Eric

Thanks again Eric and team your your persistence I’m out if the city this weekend but will test next week when home, Steve.

1 Like

Well - while away for the weekend I was talking with a mate who is a HiFi dealer and sell Devialet, among other products. I explain my issue and your last suggestion Eric and he suggested delaying the Aries (feeding the 200) as the Phantom’s have a delay in processing the signal. When I returned home I tried 60ms on the Aries, as suggested, but still had a delay. I then made the Aries Mini (feeding the Phantoms) the master clock by setting the Clock Master on the Mini to 1(highest) and the Aries to 2. I then entered 0 for Sync. Adjustment for the Aries Mini and 60ms for the Aries and tested, to find things were better aligned. I then raised the Aries Sync. Adjustment in increments of 5 until both systems sounded in sync. at 95ms (hard to 100% sure as after a while my ears start playing tricks on me). So in short I think you have cracked it Eric. I shall have another listening session tomorrow and try increasing/decreasing in increments of 1 until I feel it’s perfect. Also to note, I did not notice drift :rofl: - will keep you posted and thanks so much, Steve.

Thanks for the update @Stephen_Wilson, very pleased to hear things are now functioning as expected! I appreciate you working with me on this one, I know this was a bit of a marathon so thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Happy listening!
-Eric

This topic was automatically closed after 44 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.