Artist Equivalence Issues

obsoleted by a later post

@joel

Is this thread abandoned?

Of course it hasn’t been abandoned. Virtually every one of these equivalence issues and more are fixed in a major piece of new metadata processing code that is in testing; it’s just taken, unfortunately, a lot longer to get it out than we originally envisaged and it is queued behind some other work.

Many of these edits are complex, time consuming, and in some cases virtually impossible for a human to get right (but code can), which is why they haven’t been done. It’s generally a very poor use of our time to make large numbers of these edits, particularly when we already have a solution, albeit one which is not yet released.

That said, we’ve allowed a backlog to accumulate, which is not good. We do monitor this thread constantly and have been checking that nothing comes up which hasn’t been fixed by the new code. We are currently re-evaluating whether or not to make some interim edits. If we do, we’ll post in this thread as usual.

Cc: @support

6 Likes

If you search in Tidal on The Rockets you get 19 albums by several different bands all lumped together with the same bio. I went through and investigated each option under Tidal and they are as follows:

The Rockets (27) - Discogs Number (German Rockabilly Band)

Nailpolish, Lies and Gasoline.

The Rockets (5) (Detroit Rock Band)

Back Talk.
Rocket Roll.
Twelve Best

Rockets (Italian Disco Band 80s)

Plasteroid.
Live
Atomic.

The Rockets (14) (Band that would become Neil Young’s Backup Band).

The Rockets
Lift Off

The Rockets (7) (Greece Rockabilly Band)

Hot Rod Boogie.

The Rockets (2013 50/60s cover band)

Rock'n Twist Party.

The Rockets (Electronic / Dub)

Breakthrough.
Time is running out (5 song ep)
The Pulse (EP/Single)
Witchcraft
Blast From the Past
udy no cledy--|
On The Trail--| (These two are the same album, one is just in Russian)
One Level Higher

Hi,
I have a Shadows compilation CD that contains the single Wonderful Land. It is credited to Jerry Lordan and Mike Oldfield. The Jerry Lordan bit is correct but I doubt very much whether Mike Oldfield (of Tubular Bells fame) helped write the song in 1962. The credit links to his bio.

He did cover it later on one of his albums though, which may be a clue as to why this is mixed up?

Carl Davis composer is partly mixed up with Carl Davis, record producer in Roon:

The links in my library should click through to the composer, but while you get the correct picture of the living composer, the bio and dates are for the now-dead record producer.

This should be the correct biog:

Jim White the Australian drummer in The Dirty Three is mixed up with Jim White the US alt-country Artist. To the extent that the Artist entry for the US Artist has the Australian’s birth details and all Dirty Three Albums credited to him.

The metedata for Swediish artist Stina Nordenstam is mixed up with the Australian artist Stina.

Roon’s metadata for the Stina Nordenstam album “Memories of a Color” credits it to the Australian Stina. I had to override and use file tags.

Maybe I did something horribly wrong at some point, but Roon seems to think that Chico O’Farrill and Arturo O’Farrill are the same person. See, e.g., Cuba: The Conversation Continues by Arturo O’Farrill and the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra. (Kick-ass album, BTW.)

Besides the rampant confusion in the album and track credits, note that clicking on the “Arturo O’Farrill” link in the review text for the album takes one to the artist page for Chico.

(Chico is the father; Arturo is the son. There’s also a younger generation that includes Zack and Adam.)

Surprised I hadn’t noticed this before now, but the artist entry for the bass player Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, etc) has the bio of an English drummer of the same name who is no longer living. Ironically, the bio states that this English gentleman should not be confused with the American bass player of the same. All else in the entry appears correct-ie, I don’t see any of the drummer’s releases mixed in with the bass player’s, just not the right bio. Not sure where the bass player’s bio lives (just tried a search for Anthony Levin, but nothing came up). Thanks for your help, @joel! Cheers!

here there is a wrong identification. it should be charles singleton

but roon gives charlie singleton:

i can correct this, just wanted to tell you

1 Like

@joel, the Gateway Trio has been corrected. but i still see the wrong picture

@Niccolo_Terzi At the moment, we do not update images in Roon libraries. Also, our metadata providers do not have an image of the Gateway trio. In this case, I’m afraid that you will have to edit the image manually.

There appears to be chaos around the Glenn Jones’s of this world. A search lists 2 artists as Glenn Jones, but they include the works of 4 actual artists I believe.

The 2 listed as artists are an R&B man moving over from gospel and an Aussie bushwacker. While Glenn Jones from Oz lists only his own albums directly, in general the albums listed for these 2 include the works of I think 2 other Glenn Joneses, namely:

The Drunkards Tale is by, and I quote from discogs who know him as Glenn Jones (6) “Glenn Jones is a talented songwriter/singer/musician/performer with decades of great performing experiences. After 15 years of exile in the northeast wilderness, he’s now back home in his beloved Chapel Hill, NC. …”

Barbecue Bob in Fishtown and Against Which The Sea Continually Beats are by a renowned acoustic guitarist and both have album reviews (attributed to the correct Glenn Jones). Known by discogs as Glenn Jones (2) this is the one I’m after, although I would prefer to also see his more recent releases but that’s a matter for Tidal to address.

If it’s any consolation, Spotify is a bit messed up as well.

Listening to a Highwaymen (the Willie Nelson version) track, I clicked on the link to the info about the group, and it opened up a page about the 60’s folk group, The Highwaymen. But it thought that group was composed of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and Kris Kristofferson. :slight_smile: To compound the problem, I have tracks by both groups, and the folk group tracks don’t show up when you select The Highwaymen article.

You guys building these links by hand?

Linking this multi-question thread in here:

Hi, I have issues with metadata for bands Nine and Arkangel.

Nine:
I first added To the Bottom (Singles and EPs) from Tidal into my library. The biography referred to rap group called Nine. I edited the metadata to point to the hardcore group Nine but the biography description still referes to the rap group. Then later on I added two albums (Nine Livez and Cloud 9 from my NAS) from this rap group and now all these three albums are under the same group in Roon. How can I distuingish the two groups and have proper biography for both?

Arkangel:
I added Arkangel’s Is Your Enemy album from Tidal to my library. All other albums in Tidal are done by a different Arkangel group. I also added three albums from my NAS to the library and edited the metadata to refer to the Belgium group instead of the Jamaican one. However the biography is now blank. Is this because no biography can be found for the Belgium group?

Went to look for the band Sky as formed by john Williams and it shows up in Tidal artists with an appropriate description

However, the album list lumps all “Sky” artists in with it so there are some funny ones as below - i also like that the group disbanded eight years before being formed :slight_smile:

I have two different "The Sixteen"s, one with bio etc and one without. Ordinarily I would just merge the two and not worry about it, but when I go to the Artists list I cannot find the rogue The Sixteen under “T” or “S”.

Roon/TIDAL/AllMusic/Rovi seems to have conflated two John Field’s.

One is John Field, a great Irish composer who died in 1837.

At least one other John Field, age and status unknown, is said to have composed such works as “Blow Up Your Balloon (Huff and Puff)”, “Big Red Boat”, and (my favorite), “All for You” from the hit album “Bubba Mumma Needs Sleep”.

Please fix.