Artist Equivalence Issues

Apologies if this one has been raised already. Nirvana…

The original UK Patrick Campbell Lyons outfit and the Seattle grunge masters.

Despite labelling the PCL outfit in my files as **Nirvana (UK) ** they albums are still listed with Kurt’s gang

Which albums @Kenny_McHardy? Please can you post a screenshot? Our processing equivalence for Nirvana is good (this is a known problem artist name) and either there are bad attributions coming from our metadata providers or something funny is going on in your library. Either way, we’ll try and get to the bottom of it.

Hi Joel

Mainly sorted after the re-load, only one minor mix from a compilation album.

Don’t know how to load the screenshot on the iPad :eyes:

Hi,

Briefly press the home button and the standby button simultaneously… you should hear a camera shutter sound that confirms the screen shot has been captured.

Then you can just upload that image onto the forum.

Angel - 70s Rock band and RB/Rap artist

@Rugby We made an edit for Angel three weeks ago. Please can you post details of the affected albums?

Search for Angel. Go to the band page. Down in Tidal Main Albums and Singles and EPs. The items marked in red are not the 70s Rock Angel

Hi @dylan

Just to let you know, I have not experience this issue now for a while (been on holiday, so not been able to test too much, but last week everything has been OK)

An additional issue I have (which may be a new topic all together) is that Roon will merge artists with the same name.

For example there are (at least) 2 different artist called José Gonzalez. Using the TIDAL app, these two artists will be listed as two separate artists, with two different bios etc. In Roon, they will merge as one (showing the bio of Swedish artist José Gonzalez, but also including the albums of another artist with the same name). I have found the same issue with Swedish group Ghost (who are mixed with a Japanese group with the same name)

This is improved, I think. The bio is now for the 80’s group. But the picture is still of the old 50’s/60’s folk group, with their instruments, outside blinking in the sunlight.

Hey everyone,

First of all, many thanks for your patience. Development of our new equivalence code is proceeding well, but we anticipate that it will still be a little while to test it fully and deploy it to production. Accordingly, we felt that it was the right thing to do to go ahead and (hopefully) address all of the outstanding issues in this thread, even though the vast majority of them are already fixed in the new code. We’ve gone back as far as post 307 in this thread and actions have been taken up to and including post 557.

If we’ve missed something or, following the changes detailed below, your issue is not resolved after the expected duration, we would be grateful if you would open a new metadata support thread with title “EQUIVALENCE ISSUE NOT RESOLVED: <artist name>” and a link back to your original post.

But please read this first

In most cases, it was possible to identify an obvious issue in the metadata: either a bad equivalence, a missing equivalence, or bad metadata at source. We’ve gone ahead and made what corrections and correction requests that we can. However:

1. Edits are not immediate:

• Where we’ve made an edit, the effects should propagate to your libraries within a week.
    • Where source metadata changes are necessary, these may take up to an additional week longer depending on the metadata provider and the nature of the edit(s). i.e. up to two weeks for the whole process.
    • However, most of these edits will already be in your libraries.
  2. In some cases, there’s actually not much we can do at the moment. One major ongoing issue is same-name interlopers in the TIDAL catalogue, which is a problem even when we have equivalence “right”. For example, a TIDAL artist is assigned to a Roon artist, but the TIDAL catalogue for that artist contains albums by another artist. This isn’t strictly TIDAL’s fault (the inconsistent metadata come to them from digital wholesalers, who get it from a myriad of labels). We have some ideas about how to improve things, but these cases are not covered by the straightforward edits we’re making here.

3. These edits may not resolve some issues or you may see no change in your library, particularly if you have already made one or more edits to the metadata in Roon. We do not overwrite edits you’ve made in your library, so in some cases these can prevent some automatic updating.

4. Artist images will not be updated with these edits. We are working on a plan for addressing this in the future.

Here’s a list of the changes made:

Aki Takahashi (@ludwig)
We’ve asked TiVo to sort out the saxophonist / pianist confusion.

Paul Banks (@vaguedetails)
Equivalence edit was made some time ago. Probably a TIDAL bad catalogue issue.

Jimmy Johnson (@Michael_Kobb)

Jack Hammer (@evand)
TIDAL assignment issue.

James Philips (@evand)
Equivalence edit made

Skid Row (@evand)

Paqua (@Scotty)
TIDAL bad catalogue issue.

Robbie Williams (@Scotty)
TIDAL bad catalogue issue.

Monks (@Jeff)
Equivalence edit was made some time ago. If this issue still exists in your library, please would you raise a new support thread?

Art of Noise (@dpstjp)
I’m not sure what “I can’t seem to get rid of “Art of Noise” from being a performer” means. If this issue still exists in your library, please would you raise a new support thread?

Side Effects (@Coz)
Equivalence edit made.

Afterhours (@Michael_Vinberg)
Equivalence edit made (one minor rogue decoupled).
We also got TiVo to correct some metadata back in December.

LFO (@Kevin_Hughes)
The edit looks good. If you still have issues in your library, please would you raise a new support thread?

Dr. Lonnie Smith / Lonnie Liston Smith (@Jaundka)
We’ve asked TiVo to review all of their metadata for these artists.

John Collins (@John_McBride)
Equivalence edit made.

Bach Collegium Japan etc. (@John_McBride)
The issue here is inconsistent attribution on certain individual volumes of the box set.
We’ve asked TiVo to bring some consistency to the set.

Philharmonia Orchestra (@dpstjp)
Equivalence edit made. Equivalence with our code-under-test is even better.

John Williams (@dpstjp)
The equivalence edit has been good for a very long time. These issues are best tackled on an album by album basis.

P.G.R. (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made.

Bill Evans (@orgel)
Are the credits on Petite Blonde already fixed?

Ghost (@that_guy)
Equivalence edit made (as best I could!)

Melanie (@AE67)
TIDAL assignment issue.

Fairytale (@papa.jay)
Equivalence edit was made in July.

Otyg (@papa.jay)
We’ve asked TiVo to merge their duplicate IDs.

Klute (@Stampie)
We’ve asked TiVo to remove the bad association with the Danish band.

Richard Carr (@Mario_Bucco)
Equivalence edit made.

Richard Bennett (@Mario_Bucco)
We’ve asked TiVo to sort the merged artist out.

Curious Liquid by Weatherman (@Mario_Bucco)
We’ve asked TiVo to figure out to whom this album should actually be attributed.

Stephen Scott (@Lueneburg-based)
The confusion appear to have been MusicBrainz. I’ve entered some edits, but they’ll take some time to go through (assuming that they are accepted). Once they are accepted, things should propagate through the Roon metadata system.

Charlene (@AE67)
Equivalence edit made.

Terry Ellis (@Curt_Wilson)
Equivalence edit made.

Medeski, Martin & Wood (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made (and also for Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood).

I Nomadi (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made.

Orb (@andybob)
Equivalence edit made.

Niki and the Dove (@en1omb)
Equivalence edit made to bring in the TIDAL ID with an “&”.

Genaside II (@rolski)
Equivalence edit made.

Chris Thompson (@Anthony_B)
Equivalence edit made. You may need to manually edit the image.

Scanner (@aronson)
Equivalence edit made.

Morgan (@Manu)
Equivalence edit made and TiVo contacted to disentangle the UK 70’s band and Morgan Nicholls.

Carl Perkins (@BrianW)
Equivalence edit made.

Endless (@anon47919701)
Equivalence edit made.

Bronco (@Curt_Wilson)
An edit was made in March which predates your post by several months. If you still have issues with “Bronco” content in your library, please would you raise a new support thread?

Incubus (@Yargi_Erel)
Equivalence edit made.

Camerata Academica Salzburg (@Tony_Casey)
Request made to TiVo to merge two differently named duplicates with English and German names. If this doesn’t happen, we’ll do an edit ourselves.

HOME (@bluhska)
Equivalence edit made.

Jewel (@Jens_Petter_Johansen)
Equivalence edit made.

Incantation (@Anthony_B)
Equivalence edit made.

The Highwaymen (@Lloyd_Borrett, @Bill_Janssen)
Equivalence edit made.

PFM (Premiata Forneria Marconi) (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made.

Jeff Parker (@Nick)
Equivalence edit made.

Kal David, Laura Bono (@Greg)
Unfortunately, this isn’t really an artist equivalence issue; it’s an artist concatenation issue. We have plans for dealing with this kind of thing, but it will take a while.

The Rockets (@Rugby)
Equivalence edit made.

Wonderful Land (@Anthony_B)
Request made to TiVo to sort out the incorrect composition attribution.

Carl Davis (@John)
Equivalence edit made.

Jim White (@andybob)
Equivalence edit made.

Stina Nordenstam (@eclectic)
Request made to TiVo to remove the bad credits.

Chico / Arturo O’Farrill (@orgel)
Equivalence edit made.

Tony Levin (@Kevin)
Equivalence edit made.

Charlie Singleton (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made. If this doesn’t solve the issue, we’ll have to investigate bad credits.

Glenn Jones (@Andy_Foster)
Equivalence edit made.

David Gahan (@Boris_Schaedler)
Equivalence edit made to join up Dave and David Gahan.

Nine (@Tuomo_Henriksson)
Equivalence edit made.

Arkangel (@Tuomo_Henriksson)
Equivalence edit made.

Sky (@ged_hickman1)
Equivalence edit made.

The Sixteen (@dpstjp)
Equivalence edit made.

John Field (@John_V)
Equivalence edit made.

London Sinfonietta (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made.

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made. This is odd though as the one in Czech script isn’t what we have for the current metadata. Did you make a name edit? If you edit, we can’t update automatically…

Al J. Neiburg (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made.

Don Robertson (@Don_Kendrick)
Equivalence edit made.

Thee Oh Sees / Oh Sees / OCS (@amg)
Equivalence edit made.

Inquisition (@Tuomo_Henriksson)
Equivalence edit made.

Michael Davis (@Tony_Casey)
Equivalence edit made.

Savage Rose (@hgim82)
Equivalence edit made.

Gate (@Paul_Bemelmans)
Equivalence edit made.

Dave Stewart (@bigj)
Equivalence edit made.

Anouk (@Niccolo_Terzi)
Equivalence edit made.

There are two issues which are still outstanding / difficult:

Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs (@Lloyd_Borrett post 481)
Still finalizing how we want to hand bands like The Aztecs vs. Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs.

Jimmy Campbell (@Curt_Wilson post 498)
Need some more time on this one. The metadata confusion is atrocious.

Thank you all for you patience and for reporting these issue. Please don’t hesitate to report any others.
The Roon Team

Cc: @mike @dylan

18 Likes

Wow great work Joel!

1 Like

Are you planning look at ones that are out there in other threads, e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan

Falls into a similar category as Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs @Lloyd_Borrett. The trouble is not necessarily equivalence (though that is part of it), but a tremendous inconsistency not only between metadata providers, but within the same metadata provider. As I alluded to above, we’re in the process of figuring out (a) what we want to do here and (b) what we can do. No immediate resolution unfortunately, but we will get there.

So the answer is “yes”, but we’re not going to look at these piecemeal; we need to solve the whole class of similar issues.

1 Like

here i have an incongruent couple of emir deodato:

they are the same person.
i could merge them, but in that case i would loose some infos (web links and wrong birthday OR bands and correct birthday)

the 3 tim wright should be the same person.
but:

if i merge, i loose part of the infos (web links OR born/dead and bands)

(JAMES) MINGO LEWIS

they should be the same person.

A post was split to a new topic: Robert Osborne / Bobby Osborne bad equivalences

Yes, it looks like all the links now go correctly to the “saxophone” Evans.

It looks like most things O’Farrill are fixed, but the artist photo for Arturo is still a photo of Chico.

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I’m really looking forward to deployment of all the new, improved equivalence code.

There are 2 Stu Martin artists:

and

they are the same person: i could merge, but would loose part of the infos.

besides, info are incomplete. he is member of “The Trio”.

if you read the band description, it features stu martin, barre phillips and john surman. BUT in the members section there are totally different (and wrong) names.

@Niccolo_Terzi Edits made for:

Deodato
Tim Wright
Stu Martin