Artist Equivalence Issues

Artists who have been knighted tend to get split into two instances - those with and those without “Sir”, with separate lists of albums. In my collection I’m seeing:

Georg Solti / Sir Georg Solti
Neville Marriner / Sir Neville Marriner
Roger Norrington / Sir Roger Norrington
John Eliot Gardiner / Sir John Eliot Gardiner

I’ve reported that one a month ago. @Mike acknowledged it and said he would report it to AllMusic. 20 days later and AllMusic still hasn’t fixed it.

Hi, Roon team.
Like many others, I have an obscure artist that’s being catalogued under a different obscure artist with the same name.

I have the album Wishstar by the group Aeroplane, released in 2008. It is the only album from this band, I’d describe it as mournful shoegazer Britpop. There is very little information about them on discogs.org, but for what it’s worth the link is here: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1750366-Aeroplane-6

The rather less obscure Aeroplane is a Belgian disco DJ group. They aren’t the same people. Their bio at discogs has more info: https://www.discogs.com/artist/897682-Aeroplane-4

Allmusic has incorrectly listed Wishstar as being by the Belgians (hence the miscategorisation in Roon I guess), any chance you could get them to update their database?

Now London’s at it. I have two ensembles with the name “London Symphony Orchestra”. Both were founded in England in 1904.

Does AllMusic actually fix things you report to them? Or do they do their own research and make their own decision to fix or not?

1 Like

1. Wim Mertens is split into two entries.

There are two different artists in the database, but this is the same person and needs to be

One has 4 main albums (Double Entendre, Nosotros, Shot and Echo - A Sense of Place, What You See Is What You Hear), the other the rest (thirty something).

2. Balanescu Ensemble

I think that Balanescu Ensemble can be joined with Balanescu Quartet. It is only an entry that occurs as Jonathan Goldstein “Cyclorama” album (where also Balanescu Quartet is listed), does not have any other albums or metadata available.

Also Balanescu Quartet and Ada Milea - this is another single-album entry and the record itself has listed Balanescu Quartet and Ada Milea as separate contributors.

3. Dälek Vs. Faust

This is another single album entry for an album where Artists are Dälek and Faust.
(and the description is for Dalek obviously).

4. DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid

1 album entry for DJ Spooky (that Subliminal Kid).

5. Giovanni Domenico and Giovanni di Domenico

The same main album, the same person.

6. Dresch Dudas Mihaly Quartet and Dresch Dudas Mihaly Quartett (written without the diacritical signs)

Two different entities, albums split between, one with wrong spelling (quartett).

7. English Opera Group Choir and English Opera Group Orchestra

Two entities, the same album (which has English Opera Group on its cover).

8. Henryk Gorecki

This is a the same person as Henryk Mikołaj Górecki (and usually the latter name is used in most cases), a well known Polish composer.
I know that the albums under Henryk Gorecki list him as such, but this is the issue of English language people writing Polish names. Believe me (but verify, of course) that this is the same person.

Also HMG entry has less albums but more metadata (nationality, born, died, Wiki), HG has more albums but no metadata. And Henryk Gorecki is wrongly sorted under H.

9. Hesperion XXI, Le Concert des Nations, La Capella Reial … (without diacritical signs)

This is an single entry made from multiple artists, and it should occur under Hesperion XXI.

10. Jordi Savall, Montserrat Figueras, Hesperion XXI, La Capella …

A single entry of many artists, and sorted under J.

11. Jordi Savall | Dominique Fernandez | …

Ditto.

12. Kronos Quartet, London Sinfonietta Orchestra

Ditto.
A single album, should be under Kronos Quartet).

13. La Capella Reial de Catalunya

Two entries of the same name. One has all the goods, the other just a sigle album and no data.

14. London Symphony Orchestra

Two entries, one spurious with minimal data.
Also London Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas, … - again, a spurious entity.

15. Kapela ze Wsi Warszawa and Warsaw Village Band

The latter is just English translation of the name (occurs on some album covers), this is the same band. Now albums are split between these two names. You can make WVB an alias for KzWW.

16. Nurse With Wound & Stereolab

Should just be under Nurse with Wound.

17. Michael Nyman Band

I’m not sure the two main records and one single/EP (which, as is the case for a huge lots of artists, is a main album and not single or EP, but I will create a separate ticket for this) are worth this separate category and can just go under Michael Nyman (where they already are, as MN is also listed as an artist here) - quite a number of records under Michael Nyman are actually played by Michael Nyman Band without this being mentioned anywhere in Roon).

18. Michael Nyman & Michael Nyman Band

This one makes even less sense than the previous one.

19. Om

This is this other case - records of two entities being listed under one entry.

Variations on a Theme, Conference of the Birds, Pilgrimage is one metal band (and this entry should be for it only).

Ritual Places in Bulgaria is something completely different.

Om is something still different (it mentions Om Attack inside).

Studio Rouge is an album by Stephane Wertz, nothing related to Om.

A Retrospective is still another artist, the same one as Willisau.

These are all Tidal albums, but one of the main selling points of Roon is that it corrects the horrible mess that is Tidal metadata…

20. Philip Glass, Philip Glass Ensemble, Kurt Munkacsi

Joined together three performers, should be under Philip Glass (where it is not listed).
And listed under P!

21. Philip Glass Ensemble

Listed only for a single record (while it is related to more) and with biography of Philip Glass.
In such case perhaps better to delete it and just leave the record under Philip Glass (where it already is).

22. Public Image Ltd. and Public Image Ltd

The former is the real deal, the latter is misspelled (lack of dot after Ltd), has only a single record and no data on the performer. Should be removed.

23. Steve Reich w/ Pat Metheny

Spurious.

24. Sainkho

Whatever is listed under Sainkho, should also be listed under Sainkho Namtchylak (Mother-Earth! Father-Sky! is not).

25. Salvatore Licitra, Kronos Quartet, Orchestra Of …

Another joined name, should occur under each of the segments.

26. Sex Pistols and Sid Vicious

Should be two separate artists.

27. The Sid Vicious Experience

Should either be under Sid Vicious, or at least sorted under S and not T.

28. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra

Should be also listed under A Silver Mt. Zion (or just sorted under the artist A Silver Mt. Zion, though it makes less sense) - the same band that used different names.

There is also Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band. Should also be under ASMZ.

29. Sinfonye & Stevie Wishart

Another incorrectly joined name.

30. Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows

As there is an entry for Sopor Aeternus, this should be split (The Ensemble of Shadows is not an existing musical entity, just part of name that the creator of the project likes adding to the base name Sopor Aeternus), or all listed under SE, or all listed under SE&TEoS - this is the same artist.

31. Sunn O))) meets Nurse With Wound

Incorrectly joined name. Should be listed under Sunn O))) and Nurse with Wound.

32. Esbjörn Svensson

Lists (almost) exclusively albums of Esbjörn Svensson Trio - only Layers of Light is not.

33. Terry Riley. Members of the Creative & Performing …

Another spurious name, should be under Terry Riley.
And it is sorted under T and not R.

34. Tatsuhisa Yamamo

Is a misspelling, should be Tatsuhisa Yamamoto (as listed on the cover of the album).

I will have some more examples once I’m at home and connect to my network disk.

1 Like

I find sometimes these duplicates are caused by the tags in my albums, sometimes from Roon’s database. It’s worth a check to see whether the concatenated performers are embedded in your own tags first.

Thank you very much for the suggestion - currently I’m not connected to my files at all, and all albums which are currently visible in my library are from Tidal. So all quoted examples are for artists that have at least one Tidal entry, and I have not made any manual editions of the tags, everything is “Prefer Roon”.

I’d guess that in this case I do not see tags from my library, but the ones coming from Roon.

Also I maintain the tags on my files very carefully, and have spent quite some weeks correcting them a few months ago - but even if I doubt that, I will check if some of these are not coming from my files, thank you for your suggestion.

1 Like

According to Roon a chap called E.W.Karajan conducted Herbert von Karajan’s version of Holst’s The Planets:

1 Like

I have several metadata problem:

Problem 1:
I have several albums by “Edo Zanki”.
Problem is the albums are identified under two different artists, both named exactly “Edo Zanki”.

1. “Und wir kriegen dich noch”
  2. “Zu viele Engel”

After you include this both albums to roon,you have in artist list two artists named “Edo Zanki” with slightly different metadata.
Metadata editing in the album didn’t help, because both albums have the same name for artist.

Problem 2:
I have two albums by a band called “Bliss”
Album 1 “A change in the weather” is identified and click on artist brings you to the correct band
Album 2 “Loveprayer” is not identified, no match available, no problem for me - but click on artist brings you to another wrong band also called “Bliss”.
So two bands called “Bliss” in the Artist list with every one album.

How can I connect album 2 to the band of album 1. Renaming in metadata not possible, same name.

Problem 3:
I have an album by “The Darts” which is identified, but has as artist “Darts”. An artist without metadata opposed to “The Darts”.
I would like to change the artists to “The Darts”.
Changing in album metadata Album artist to “The Darts” gave me this result:

So clickable is only “Darts” and that leads to the wrong band.

So, is it possible to change the artist connection of an album. Changing album artists in metadata seems no sufficient way.

Thanks for your help.

Sam Phillips, T-Bone Burnett’s ex-wife, is alive and is not Sam Phillips of Sun Records.

not to mention that Gimme Some Truth was written solely by Lennon, not Lennon/Ono

1 Like

“Adele Atkins” (composer) does not redirect to “Adele”.

@mike Ratt’s 1983 s/t EP comes up when identifying their s/t album from 1999 but when you click on the pencil to look into it all the tracks are identified correctly, it’s everything else that’s taken from the 1983 EP (reviews, release etc… except the Code Number is correct and for the 1999 album)

Stellar the K-Pop Korean girl group got mixed up with the Brazil based quartet.

I’m starting to wonder what’s the point of highlighting these issues if All Music never fixes them?

Apparently, Roon need a bigger stick when dealing with them?

1 Like

I am trying to clean up Artist data in my library.
I have seen how to add artist images (none for Alan Lomax!) but I also see that I have cases where albums have been assigned to multiple artists with the same name, when they are all one artist. How can I consolidate them since the name is already correct? All are set to use file tag data for artist
Here is a view of Artists. You can see three Artists named Alice - distinct from the artist named Alice (Japan). One Alice has 22 albums, another has an artist photo and has two albums the third has one album.

The first Alice artist page is shown below.

The second Alice artist page is shown below. Note that it found an artist photo but no bio.

The third Alice has no bio and no photo.

Another detail is that the single album assigned to the third Alice is not assigned to either of the other Alice artists. The two albums assigned to the first Alice are also included in the second artist. Those albums are duplicated in full - not orphan tracks.
How can these be consolidated? Thank you.

I have the same problem with youn sun nah!

1 Like

Same artist, same name, different “roon artist”, each with one album. How do I combine these two albums under one artist. BTW, TIDAL has it right.

Why isn’t it as simple as having Roon prioritise the Album Artist and Track Artists from the file. I manage my data the way I want it without having to deal with all the complexity of the music universe.