Artist images very slow to appear

And a check later in the day (7pm GMT, Dublin, Ireland)

Just gone through my artists and it caches each page about 3-4 secs. as I scroll down, got to bottom of artists and then back up a few pages it has to load them all again not ideal. Before I had them all the time.

1 Like

Quoted for prosperity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Look up the definition of prosperity. Maybe you meant posterity.

Point is, if it works for someone with a relative slow ISP, that might rule out some of the potential sources of the problem. Itā€™s a part of the troubleshooting process.

Whats your contribution? It ā€œworks for meā€ and ā€œSTFUā€ - then you delete your posts? How is that useful?

3 Likes

I agree. Iā€™m sorry about that.

So opened Roon to pause the music currently playing, and the Home Screen is devoid of images, so was Artists view, had time to then enable screen recording and allow the 3s before recording commences before this being the view

So please @SukieInTheGraveyard please tell me I am making a blanket statement about image handling in the B88x releases being broken and not working well!

Did I suggest that things are working well for you and for others who are experiencing problems? Roon Staff are aware of issues and looking into them. Itā€™s clearly working for some people and not for others. This requires diagnosis so that a suitable solution can be rolled out. It may well be that there are issues with the way in which images are being cached, but I donā€™t know. Clearly this requires improvement. Northing I have posted would suggest otherwise.

Exactly so. And I strongly feel that all this nagging and bickering must stop now. It is becoming increasingly tiresome to visit the forum and find the same few users repeating themselves again and again and again, in this thread and others. Roon staff and we all now know that there are problems for some users, so please let Roon look into the matter and respond.

5 Likes

Build 884, i7 NUC 8 core, iPad control point, entirely typical experience (UK location, 80 Mbit/s download).

1 Like

For images, we use Cloudflare

I think this is a tad unfair, there are people experiencing database failures who now also see no or very very slow image loading. Iā€™m lucky (as in fairness are most Roon users) in that I didnā€™t have any database issues and my images load relatively quickly.

To try and move the issue forward Iā€™m also in Dublin and this is typically what I see. (I have albums set to prefer file so there is not much of an issue here as most of my files are local).

Image loading

This is a Intel NUC Win 10 core with the following specs - a few years old and hardly top of the range.

Hopefully this dataset might help with this issue.

.sjb

Thank you very much John! You set me on the right track here!
I have a reasonably well curated library, with almost all of itā€™s content locally. I just set my preference to local files for artwork, and wadda ya know? My Albums view is VERY MUCH improved!

Now all I need is a proper option to add local images to Artists on iPad OS??? And while iā€™m on the subject, stop crippling functionality for iPad OSā€¦ Anything (almost) i can do on a lappy, i can also do on the iPad.

There appears to be an issue with the nuc and images I have the same issue and have a current thread running.

It seems to have occurred after a recent update and is related to how the nuc distributes the images. It seems to be affected by where the nuc is on the network and for the life of me I cannot get it to work now. I am considering rebuilding the nuc with Ubuntu to see if that makes a difference.

Interesting. In the other thread I have been chasing help on no one from support has responded saying that there are already known issues so perhaps I need to hold fire for a while until this is sorted and muddle along without any images whilst the problem is addressed.
(I7 Nuc with 884)

Thanks for confirming Danny, that was what I was thinking, that you use a professionell CDN Provider, rather than using servers on your own.

Wouldnā€˜t it a possibility to implement a function to copy the actual status of the images of my library to my local drive and exclude this from the backup process as images can always be retrieved from the cloud?

Do you think performance will improve when things have settled down a bit when the actual high dynamic in the images due to the new art director function will slow down or even will come to a steady state (except for some fan wars ;))

2 Likes

My system runs well.
NUC5i3,
4GB,
120GB SSD,
extern SSD 1TB Data,
second SSB Backup
2 Ropieee with IQaudio HAT
1 Ropieee with touchscreen
3 Airplay devices,
AVR via HDMI multichannel Direct-attached to the ROCK core
First time browsing through the database needs a little time more to collect the Pictures
ISP Germany

I also use Videostreaming from mediathek or Amazon Prime (4K) parallel without issue

I wondering how they test the software release before to push them as forced updatesā€¦ did they test them? sometimes Iā€™ve some doubts

why use a system that reload every time images from server instead of store them inside ssd memory we are obliged to use for backup?

and what is that backup for? arenā€™t pictures alreday stored inside there? then why not to use those picture instead of reload every time from external provider? ā€¦ I can guarantee I can survive pretty well even without the very last album cover available from the web, I use to listen music not to watch pictures, an already available one in my system is more then good enough