Assumptions about creators of Roon

I suspect they have too. Underneath all that lipstick…

That is completely wrong - sorry.

I bought Roon back when it was launched in order to organize and navigate through my own CD collection (currently at 5800 titles). I still use it mainly (ie 90% of the time) for that. I have added streaming services to it and use that mainly to listen to my vinyl music when I’m not bothered to put the actual LP on. I also use the streaming services to listen to some new releases before buying them. I also use Roon to occasionally listen to Live Radio.

These are all pluses for me but not the reason that I bought and use Roon. Sure, I love the integration, but if all streaming services disappeared tomorrow, I’ll still use Roon.

I do not know what size libraries you have, but I use mine in 2 different locations. One runs off a NAS and the other off an 8 year old Mac Mini. I’ve had no issues with either setup, though the NAS is a little faster.

Whilst Roon is not perfect (nothing is) and I have my wishlist of things I’d like it to do or could do better, I have not encountered any of the problems you describe. Perhaps you have tens of thousands of CDs in your collection and you’re hitting limitations of the software, but otherwise, the problems you’re having are more likely to do with your setup than with Roon itself.

3 Likes

a perspective, one I don’t agree with.

1 Like

Nope, since others are also having them and support has acknowledged them and is trying to fix some of the issues. Therefore not only my problem.

My assumption was about the creators of Roon - not about you. So who knows if I am wrong or not.

Simply because you are happy and have not got the problems I wrote about, does not mean that they do not exist. It just shows once more that according to usage the performance and outcome from Roon can be quite different. This whole mine works and it must be your fault if yours does not, is neither helpful, nor close to reality in the wonderful world of software and computers.

7 Likes

I pretty much agree. Additionally, the “play album” button should ignore all “shuffle” settings and simply play the album from beginning to end.

1 Like

I have. Setup on a network using Roon Server with it and the database on an ssd in a QNAP. Moving Roon Server and the db to the ssd helped but did not eliminate the problem. Restarting the Roon player on my macmini (with fusion drive) does, however… until it happens again.
I’m in the habit of never turning the macmini off which, may be contributing to the misbehavior so… I’m going to set an on/off schedule for the mini to see if that helps.

I have a library with over 8K titles and over 100K tracks. Roon really slows down. Only a restart fixes this. It is by far my biggest complaint.

1 Like

Hi @William_B_Schaefer_I,

100K track library whilst sizeable should not trouble Roon some user have over a million tracks. May I recommend you create a #support request and see if the Roon guys can help.

As Carl suggests, open a support thread and please fill in as much about your system specs and networking connections as you can.

A program that starts quick and slows down tends to indicate a memory utilization issue (aka Memory Leak)

That size library should not be an issue mine is about 5000 albums 130 k tracks. My server also runs JRiver for Video simultaneously and SQL Server in the background

1 Like

Your experience is not at all like mine. My library is over 2 gigs, (6000) albums most of which is Orchestral and have very minor issues with box sets ( unless the metadata is a mess, in which case i fix ) . My Roon NUC has not been cycled on/off this year, probably not since November. I have no slow down, no issue at all - this was not the case with roon rock on a 2012 mac mini however. I also migrated my library to SSD when i moved to the NUC.
I have subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz and find that the latter is far better for classical titles, in fact i’ll probably get rid of Tidal soon. I like streaming and use it almost like I used FM radio, a way to discover new music.

I listen to Roon primarily in my listening room but also through out my home to access my library through shield ( tv room), my DAP or Apple portable devices.

Roon may not be perfect, but it’s perfect for me.

two questions out of curiosity:
What format is your music in? I have around 10K albums which consum 6 TB, so I’m a little bit surprised about your number of 2 GB.
What is the biggest box set you have (in numbers of CD’s)?. I also have all the metadata tagged myself, but it is not very user-friendly to browse through a box-set of more than 20 CD’s finding the performance of a work. If you look at the big conductor or soloist boxes like the Brendel set, the Munch or Reiner sets, where you have lots of duplicate performances of the same work, it’s terribly hard to find your way through.

My files are almost exclusively Flac but there are a few Aiff and some very very old recordings that are mp3.

I can’t say what my largest box set is, probaby 10 disc, certainly nothing like your Brendel.

Are you storing your music in .wav ?

no - all in flac - but there are some High-Res

Sorry, I meant 2 TB, i have two ssd drives in the nuc, 2Tb and 1 Tb.

OK - this makes much more sense :smiley:
Unfortunately I have lots of box sets. If a box set has original covers I usually add it to Roon as individual albums, but in cases where there are no individual covers available, I tag them as a set. Which means, it is either a bunch of non-identified albums or a big mess to navigate :wink:

Classical box sets = guaranteed frustration if you’re hoping for a clean, data correct import. Particular culprits are DG, Decca, EMI/Warner as I’m sure many of you have experienced.

Rather than being hostage to the various metadata suppliers, would it be possible for Roon users to share their own metadata amongst themselves?

Or is that illegal / impossible / asking for trouble ?

And one more thing: is it possible to have a multi-disc box set that shows the specific artwork by disc, instead of the same artwork for every disc?

If you got this far, thanks for reading

1 Like

On the classical front: Roon integrates Tidal and Qobuz, but not Primephonic, which is the way to go for classical streaming. How about some diplomatic negotiations to bring Primephonic into the picture?

I think your assumption about the Roon development team being more interested in popular music than classical applies to the world at large. There are certainly classical knowledgeable developers.

As far as being unusably slow, I too haven’t found that to be true, though I’m not someone with 100,000 tracks in my library. I have a few quibbles with the user interface but they’re minor. Other users have what I view as perversely different tastes in UI from mine. It should be noted that streaming service integration hasn’t been in Roon sine the beginning, though some users choose to rely principally on them.

As a LMS user myself I am curious in what world it gave a perfect experience. Classical tracks in particular, unless you heavily edited the tags, would take an awfully long time to scroll through the window to be identified. And it was just as easy for shuffle to be accidentally set in LMS as in Roon, if not easier. But it is open source so I suppose if you’re a PERL programmer you can make it behave any way you like.

My dream for any music software platform is to pop a CD in the computer or a file download from HD Tracks and have it perfectly correctly identified and ready to listen to and be catalogued in my collection. Roon plus a ripping/tagging program of your choice aren’t there yet but they’re a lot closer than when I was doing it for LMS. I’d like to see Roon develop a ripping/tagging program of their own using their database but apparently they have other priorities, driven again by users who have perversely different interests from mine.

1 Like