Asus RT-AC88U wifi router - cant find Roon core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Innuos Zen mkIII

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Asus RT-AC88U wifi router. Virgin internet router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I changed the Wifi router, now I can’t find the core in the iPad app!!
I can see that the server is accessible on the network and have rebooted everything, but it still doesn’t work.

Please give very specific settings to get it working with this router. I found some generic advice like ‘Enable multicast routing’ but no such setting exists for this router.

You need to enable ‘IGMP Snooping’.

Thanks. I looked and couldn’t find that setting anywhere. I am using the Asus app to configure the router.

I did have some success by clicking help on Roon remote and then entering the IP address of the server, but it is very slow to find the core at every startup (much slower than before when I used the built in Wifi router in my Virgin hub)

I’m not familiar with the app. Try finding it in the web interface (I know it’s there).

On the web interface now. It’s like the dashboard of a 747 compared to the ipad app. Thousands of settings, but I’ve got no idea where to find IGMP snooping. If there any networking experts that can give a hint that would be much appreciated!! There’s nothing I hate more than faffing with computer networks. Roon used to be user friendly!

Ok after much frustration, I finally found it. It under Advanced Settings>Wireless>Professional.

I use Asus Merlin firmware, so the menu system maybe slightly different. LAN-IPTV -Enable multicast routing, also exists no idea which is correct as you say also asetting under WiFi

Hi @AndrewD,

Since enabling IGMP Snooping is this behavior resolved?

Hi, It still takes a really long time to find the core when I start up the app. I want it to be instantaneous. Open the app and it should be ready to use in a nanosecond.

Also, Roon can no longer find my Auralic Aries mini!!!
What a nightmare. Tried restarting the mini, no joy.

Do you have any suggested router settings to fix this? Please be specific about this model of router, since there are hundreds of settings to configure.

Roon really needs to release its own wifi router that has the performance of routers like Asus but guarantees reliability without requiring a PhD in computer networking.

Hi @AndrewD,

Can you try rebooting your Core, Networking gear and Aires (in that order)?

Is both the Core and the Aires connected directly to the new router?

I tried the reboot sequence - still doesn’t work.

My network sequence is as follows:
Virgin home hub (wifi disabled)

ethernet cable from Virgin hub to Asus wifi router.
second ethernet cable from Virgin hub to Cisco 2960 switch
ethernet cable from Cisco switch to Innuos Zen mkIII server (Roon core).
Google chromecast audio connected via ethernet (Ugreen adapter) directly to Innuos core (works fine).
Auralic Aries mini connected to network via wifi. Can be seen on the network with the Auralic Lightning DS app. Cannot be seen by Roon remote.

I tried connecting the Roon core by ethernet cable directly to the Lan ports of the Asus router - it doesn’t work. In this configuration I can’t see the server on the network.

I also tried connecting the Cisco switch by ethernet cable to the Asus router Lan ports - again nothing works. Can’t see core on network.

I have tried turning off the firewall in the Asus settings - makes no difference.
I have tried enabling multicast routing in the Asus settings - makes to difference.

I notice that the multicast routing has 12 speed settings. I have it set to ‘Auto’. I didn’t try the 12 other settings, because it just gets ridiculous to explore thousands of different settings permutations. Surely someone has successfully used this Wifi router in a Roon system before. I am really shocked how difficult it is to have a high performing wifi router without major stress. Everything worked fine with the built in Virgin wifi, but the wifi signal was crap in other rooms of the house.

Connect everything directly to the Asus. It has 8 lan ports after all.
Also, might be that you now have two routers on your network which will cause issues unless you know how to configure a network. Do you need to keep the Virgin hub?

I tried the Lan ports on the Asus - can’t get anything to work when plugged into those.

I need to keep the Virgin hub as it receives the internet from the cable. Wifi is disabled on the Virgin hub.

Meaby this will help you

Thanks. I was using port 1 or 2 before when it didn’t work. Will test all the ports with a laptop later on.

Another question for the network experts: The virgin hub does not have a WAN output, so I use one of the LAN outputs and plug this into the single WAN input on the Asus. Is this right? Perhaps I should be plugging into one of the 8 LAN ports on the Asus?

I tested all LAN ports on the asus by plugging in a laptop (with wifi deactivated). Confirmed that all 8 ports work fine. If I plug the Roon core into one of the ports it doesn’t work. Roon remote can’t find core.

From your description it really does seem like you have two routers running, one in your Virgin box and one on the Asus. This is workable but needs a very specific set up.

You will need to try and put your hub into modem only mode - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

And connect a LAN port form the hub to a LAN port on the Asus.

Alternatively you can use the Asus in Wireless Access Point mode - https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1015009/

You would cable the same way but leave the Virgin hub alone as being the router for your network.

Hi Andrew,

Which Virgin Home Hub are you using? I have had a quick look at the models and it appears that once you set them to Modem only mode only one Ethernet port becomes active (not sure if this is only on Hub 1 & 2 as I could not read the bad quality picture on the website).

Then attach an ethernet cable from the active port of your Virgin Hub to the ethernet port with the blue label beneath it on your RT AC88U, it’s the socket to the left of the power socket.

Now your RT-AC88U needs to be set to Wireless router mode, use the web interface from a laptop not the iDevice App. I would probably reset your RT-AC88U if you have changed a lot of settings. I also use the Merlin Firmware and I have never had an issue with my router and Roon.

You may then need specific settings to enable your router to work with the internet from the Virgin Hub. This can be set up under the WAN Menu, I had to select PPPoE and enter my ISP credentials further down the page (you can’t see it from my screen grab). I don’t know which one you will need to pick from the menu, you will need to find that out from Virgin yourself.

I hope this helps you in some way, if not then I am sorry and I hope you get it sorted out.

1 Like

I don’t believe Virgin media uses PPPoE or usernames and passwords, it uses IPoE. If the hub can be set in bridge mode,( I believe the hub lights turn magenta) The ASUS in wireless router mode -the WAN connection settings on the ASUS to automatic IP, Ethernet cable from the WAN port on the ASUS to the VM hub port (which one?).

The other option is to to use the VM hub as modem/router with WiFi off and the ASUS in Access Point mode wifi on,