Attention Salt. Users in Switzerland: CG-NAT Blocks Port Forwarding, Workarounds Required (See Staff Post)

If I remember well from my time in Switzerland, you have a problem with the default Salt offering. Roon doesn’t support IPv6, as far as I know, and Salt shares one public IPv4 over different customers. You will only get ARC to work if you order a publicly accessible IPv4 address. I have never seen this config anywhere in Europe on a fixed line before. Most providers issue a temporary IPv4 that is publicly accessible. Then again, Salt offers a 10 Gbit connection with for the same price as I pay for a 500 Mbit down, 100 Mbit up so you are lucky. :slight_smile:

same issue here:

Hi @Lars_Sven_Willumeit,

I’ve merged your post into the existing thread for Salt users who are unfortunately up against their carrier-grade network address translation. Note that Roon is actively exploring alternative solutions, but we don’t have a timeline at this time.

Please see the staff post above here.

Any update on this? I have also the SALT box, can’t use Roon ARC; it’s frustrating :frowning:

It’s very odd as Plex connects perfectly all the time remotely, for my same library of around 300k tracks. Only issue is Plex is not bit-perfect. I didn’t even have to mod my router to get the Plex to work.

As an aside is there any chance the normal Roon Android app could be tinkered with to allow Bit Perfect? This would be a great start, at least to have Roon around the house bit-perfect via Android.

I switched/upgraded NUC and iPhone in the meantime and I can’t find the energy to make it work again via Tailscale. I won’t even try …

ARC with IPv6 support is currently in earlyaccess testing

2 Likes

Hi @Sallah_48,

Per @Suedkiez’s post above, the team is actively testing an implementation of ARC that works with many IPv6 accounts. For many users stranded by CG-NAT, this will allow ARC to function out of the box. We continue to make progress, although certain ISPs have more particular implementations that will require further work.

If you’re interested in joining the testing pool, please see our Knowledge Base article on the #early-access program and feel free to reach back out here.

1 Like

Hi all
I can confirm that using EarlyAccess features enabling IPV6 on ROCK allows ARC to work even in CG-NAT Salt Boxes.
On the FiberBox side you need to add the relevant info in IPV6>Network>AccessControl
More info here:

1 Like

before trying this again … does this work for normal users without Early access too?

The early access version from back then was promoted to a regular production release months ago

1 Like

Good to know! … by configuring it like this:

according to the information I get in the “Advanced” section in the Roon ARC settings tab, it is now “Ready” and can securely access my Roon Server!

However, I still get that info that I won’t be able to access my Roon Server outside of my network when I open Roon ARC on my phone. Did somebody have the same problem and knows what’s up?

Thanks!

Try reinstalling the ARC app if you haven’t already, might help

Did do so, but no effect … I get a warning when opening ARC that the Server won’t be accessible outside my network.

Thanks in any case!

Looking at your screenshot again, why are you forwarding all ports 1-55002? You only want the one port that ARC uses, 50002 probably.

I that doesn’t help either, I’m out of ideas and hopefully @support can help further

Thanks again, I only use one port now … there’s someething else I don’t get and what might be part of the problem too:

It seems as if the “Roon server information” changes … after a day or two, if I check again, if Roon ARC is ready, I get an error message that it is not ready. And I find that the IPV6 address has changed… then I adjust it in the Salt Box console and it’s ready again. (still I get a message that I can’t access it outside my network, once opening the Roon ARC app)

Is there a misconfiguration or what’s happening here?

I am more or less clueless about IPv6.

With IPv4 you can either have a static external IP (not common nowadays unless you pay for it) or a dynamic one. If dynamic, some ISPs barely ever change it, others more frequently. ARC is supposed to cope with changes as long as they don’t happen very/extremely frequently, I think.