Audio Device in use, for some reason I have three devices, under system output, and my actual named and configured device went missing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10/dell/ 1.7 build 571 stable 64 bit.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

netgear prosafe plus switch gs108e, wired ethernet, a cisco 24 port switch in closet, and 1 gb att internet, but my device is connected via USB.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MA8900 McIntosh via USB

Description Of Issue

I have at three or more issues:
I regularly get “audio device in use” in orange text.
When I click the logo “System Output” the logo in the bottom right between queue and volume, I have 3 difference zones, none of which I intentionally set up: Realtek ASIO, JRiver Media Center 25, and System Output.
I used to have MA8900 with a picture resembling my Mcintosh integrated amp but it’s missing.
I have up-sampling enabled, and it doesn’t seem to actually work right now, but it used to. I have 48kz, but it used to be 386 or something very high.

I should probably only have 2 zones that make sense. MA8900 (McIntosh), internal speaker (used only when the Mcintosh is off), and at one time I used headphones in the headphone jack on my Dell PC until my gear came in.

If you believe that causes problems, it doesn’t. I didn’t set up most of these zones either -

Under WIN10, don’t you need a driver? Maybe that went south?

Well, my MC8900 integrated amp will play, I just have to toggle through the other three to see which one will let me. 2 of 3 will be busy, and 1 of the 3 will allow me to play.

I don’t think so, I think when I unplug the USB and replug it in, it’s like that’s when it forgot what the device was. It’s been imperfect for a long time and my memory is fuzzy. In the past though, I was able to re-add the MA8900 as a device, and right now I can’t seem to.
I also don’t think I needed to install a driver to get the MA8900 in the beginning, I just had to tell roon that it was a Mcintosh MA8900.

Can you print Settings==>Audio like I did?

Where did you do this?

I don’t even remember. It was about a year ago.

Hmm, from the McIntosh web site -
" For units with DA1 Digital Audio Module: McIntosh USB Audio Windows Driver D v2.0 (compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10) (If v1.0 of driver is installed, it must be uninstalled before installing v2.0.) (4.53 MB)

For units with DA2 Digital Audio Module: McIntosh USB Audio Windows Driver I v1.3 (compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10) (2.1 MB)"

I don’t speak McIntosh. If you can play to it, then it’s probably from ‘System Output’

Someone who knows better will jump in, but I think Roon support is kinda busy today.

I turned the MA8900 and my screen added one output.

When I click enable, I can click the gear and configure.

Yeah, Roon won’t identify the unit until it’s turned on. You don’t need to specifically identify the device. That’s just for the defaults and a nice icon. The unit will work without that.

So, really, this is your only problem? -

Can you print the ‘Device Settings’ and your signal path ( when something is playing)?

I’ll give this a shot. I did upgrade the dac to DA2 a while back (it has a upgrade-able hardware DAC card).

After installing the DAC firmware, this is the new screenshot

When I try to play something with the newly discovered MA8900,
I get a new error. Failed to initialize device.

Sounds like something else has it locked preventing Roon from getting control. Restart your machine and McIntosh.

It’s upsampling, when I turn off max rate and go to for compatability only, it works again. But I used to be able to upsample to 384 or something that high.

384 shouldn’t be an issue with a recent McIntosh DAC.

It seems you still have JRivers Audio driver for routing installed. It will behave as an audio device but is only software. Uninstall that and i think things will be more clear.

As for your upsampling, when I said print the signal path, I meant this -

When I said print Device Setup, I meant this -

Or just Disable that and anything else he doesn’t intend to play to.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure here, but I think I paid money for J River. I don’t really love the interface and sound quality compared to Roon so I don’t mind deleting the software, but I’m uneasy deleting a competitor to Roon so that Roon behaves properly. Can I fix Roon without uninstalling J River?