Audio drops in Roon despite stable internet and Sonos setup (ref#S0XW2U)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

I'm hearing dropouts

“ Roon lost control of audio devise “
sound drops often, running 1gig internet speed with google mesh in house. Sonos speakers with two rooms direct with Ethernet. Nucleus running Roon Ethernet connection. Controller is MacBook Pro or iPhone 12 Pro. Roon is the only program that drops. Getting frustrated.

Hi @edward_warth,
Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. Please reproduce the audio drop and tell us the date, local time, and track playing. We will activate diagnostics on your account and investigate further.

4:10 PM on 4/21/2014 track Babys by Bon Ivar

4:15 PM on 4/21/2014 track pure narcotic by Porcupine tree

Thanks, we’ve activated diagnostics and will take this to the rest of the team.

4:10 PM on 4/21/2014 track Babys by Bon Ivar

4:15 PM on 4/21/2014 track pure narcotic by Porcupine tre

Any Updates or solutions to progress on this issue?

Hi @edward_warth,
We’ve made a ticket for the team to investigate this. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on a time line.

Hi @edward_warth

I notice you have the Google Mesh WiFi system.

You mention you have your Roon Server and Sonos devices connected via ethernet.

Are these to separate Google Mesh nodes or a network switch connected to the primary node?

Are the Google Mesh WiFi connected via ethernet to each other, or a network switch for backhaul instead of using WiFi to communicate back and forth?

Using the Google Mesh nodes to have ethernet connection points in differant locations in the house. example Roon server is ethernet connected to a Google Mesh node as well as Sonos speakers connected to Google Mesh nodes.

I do not have a network switch connected to the primary node. Not familiar with that configuration.

Google Mesh WiFi not connected via ethernet to each other, no network switch for backhaul, Google Mesh is using WiFi communicate back and forth.

Thank you @edward_warth

@daniel I may believe this could be where the issue is.

@edward_warth for the purposes of ruling out my theory, are you able to move some of the affected Sonos devices to the same room as the primary node, where the Roon Server is.

You’ll be setting these up as wireless Sonos devices as the Google WiFi nodes, as you know have 1 WAN port and 1 LAN port.

If this isn’t a possibility, I’d urge you to try and do the following.

Your internet providers box will plug into the WAN, your Roon Server into the LAN.

If you were to get a switch, you can connect the primary nodes LAN port to the switch, then run ethernet cables to the mesh nodes. This would give you the wired backhaul to the WAN port. Your Sonos devices can then connect to the LAN port as usual. This’ll give you a better chance of a stable Roon/Sonos environment.

I have Sonos devices and also a Google WiFi mesh system with 4 units in total. I do not have issues as this is what I have done.

Not having a big house, I can operate with one Google WiFi unit (primary node) but WiFi signal is poor. I would still have a switch though.

Having recently had an extension I was fortunate to pull in ethernet cables.

Before that I hid ethernet cables (flat type) under rugs, carpets etc. worked well.

1 Like

@edward_warth @Menzies’s idea could work. If you aren’t familiar with switches any basic one should do as long as it is an unmanaged switch. While Roon does not endorse any specific brand or model of switch this is an example of the kind of switch you are looking for.

1 Like

That switch is a perfect choice IMHO :+1:

Running ethernet cable to mesh points to connect them would not work. modem in upstairs. Sonos speaker zone having issue is downstairs. hardwood floors can not hide cables and would be to long of a distance. at this time i have modem going to WAN port on primary node. then ethernet from LAN on primary nod to first Mesh point to WAM same room upstairs. Nucleus same room ethernet to Netgear switch. Downstairs room with issue Sonos play base speaker is ethernet connected to a mesh point Lan. All other rooms with Sonos speakers work flawless. Den upstairs two wireless connected Sonos speakers no problem. Bedroom upstairs sonos speaker no problem. Just downstairs room sound breaks up constantly. Issue only happens when running Roon. No issue if playing files with Sonos app, no issues when playing turntable connected to Sonos. Roon in the only one just in this one room that is not running correctly.

Update speakers uptairs are droping as well with the “ Roon lost control of audio devise “ message. this includes a sonos speaker connected to switch vis ethernet. again Roon only operating system with issue, got me beat.

@edward_warth,

03/27 22:52:15 Warn: [ed warth's iPhone] [zoneplayer/raat] long rtt sync iPhone: realtime=10930134833 rtt=70000us offset=-23089865us delta=-160612us drift=34719us in 9.934s (3494.967ppm, 12581.880ms/hr)
03/27 22:52:15 Trace: [iPhone] [raatclient] GOT [18] {"samples":24576,"status":"Dropout"}
03/20 03:06:44 Trace: [Family Room (Playbase)] [Enhanced, 16/44 TIDAL FLAC => 24/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 1:59/4:58] Somebody Calling - Robin Trower 03/20 03:06:44 Trace: [Family Room (Playbase)] [zoneplayer/sonos] position timer, playbar dropout

These traces from your logs mean that the connection to these endpoints from the server is taking too long.

Can you tell us the model of this switch?

Can you temporarily move this speaker to the same room as your server for testing purposes? Let us know if the problem persists.

moved Sonos playbase speaker to same room as server attched etherrnet to switch. now Roon can not find server?

Switch is Netgear GS108

update - now have modem to primary Mesh node WAN then Lan to Nucleus ( Server is now found and operating )

One sonos speaker same room ethernet to switch.

Second Mesh node top of stairs wireless.

downstairs have sonos play base conected ethernet to Google node Lan then connected to second google node from Wan to LAN these nodes are side by side.

at this time everything is working for about 45 minutes except one time sound droped with “ Roon lost control of audio devise “ message. perhapes we can run another diagnostic to see if we have improvement?
all in all Roon is the best program and I want to continue with it. does require solid connections to move all information is my guess.

Last drop on 3/28 at 2:14 track Borrowed Love by Chris Dart

Concern not solved, Update is unchanged I have a great connection between Google mesh points, Internet download speed is 646 upload at 859. My question is why when using my Sonos app for music connected to bothg Tidal and my music storage devise it plays flawlessly. When using the Roon app it continues with the drops with “ Roon lost control of audio devise “. Seems as if Nucleus server is having the issue. I would continue with Roon but starting to wonder about options that may work better. I there anything else we can try to fix??

Could this problem be associated with this? The underlying issue is that Roon’s mobile apps are not built on native platforms, but instead are built on Xamarin which is a .Net cross-platform environment. Until Roon decides to move to the native platforms for iOS and Android, these controllers are likely to remain compromised. Sadly, I am getting close to
giving up in frustration and may just move to Apple Music as my primary streaming service.