Audio file is loading slowly- this may indicate a performance or hardware problem

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Audiostore Prestige 3 (Sonicorbiter based/Nova Software; Roon build 528)
1TB SSD; quad core i5 processor; 8GB RAM

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

300 mpbs; connected via ethernet to Wifi router by my internet service provider

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Windows PC (wifi); iPhone 11 Pro Max (wifi); Chord Hugo2Go (wifi); Sonos (wifi)

Description Of Issue

Getting the above error message intermittently- can happen throughout the day: audio file is loading slowly- this may indicate a performance or hardware problem; the problem occurs when streaming via Tidal AND when playing locally stored files (on the SSD of the audio server);

Thanks,
Nick

Hi @Nick_Yanakiev,

Generally speaking, connecting your Core and audio devices via Ethernet is a much more stable way to connect. If you try connecting your PC via Ethernet to the router, do you still see this issue occur?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t locate Roon Core - Stuck on logo

I mostly use my iPad Pro and iPhone as Roon remotes- there is, naturally, no way to connect these devices to the router via a cable.

Please advise some troubleshooting steps as, while I agree that Ethernet is infinitely better than WiFi, I am sure that a lot of Roon users want to use WiFi for convenience purposes.

I wasn’t expecting any issues with a 300 mbps connection but it seems I was wrong…

1 Like

Hi @Nick_Yanakiev,

Yes, I understand that the remotes are on WiFi and that shouldn’t be an issue here. What I do see as the issue is that you Core itself is on WiFi, and often times when trying to stream higher-resolution content, WiFi is more prone to environmental variables.

Please try connecting your Core via Ethernet and verify if the same behavior occurs. If the same issue does not occur when connected via Ethernet, we could be dealing with a WiFi issue, so this is a good test to clarify.

Hi @noris

My Core is connected to the wireless router via an Ethernet cable. The Core itself has bluetooth and WiFi but they have both been disabled.

Therefore, there is no wifi connection between the Roon Core and the router.

What device are you playing to when you get the message?

Getting the message when using my PC or my Hugo2Go. Also seeing Tidal media loading slowly when using my iPhone 11 Pro Max/iPad Pro;

I just tried the DNS settings fix to see if it makes any difference.

Hi @Nick_Yanakiev,

The DNS might help with TIDAL/Qobuz streaming, but shouldn’t impact streaming from the local library.

I’d like to verify if this is a networking issue or a Core issue. You mentioned you have a PC around the house, correct?

I would try creating a Backup of your AudioStore Core’s database and then switch over to the PC Core:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • From the PC, go to Roon Settings -> General -> Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Core at a time, but you can switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same issue occurs with the PC Core.

Thanks @noris will give this a go and report back.

1 Like

Just got the same problem on the Hugo 2Go with my PC as the core “Tidal media is loading slowly”
Happened with a 192khz 24 bit file and with a 96khz 24 bit file.

Do bear in mind that my PC is connected to the internet via Wifi, rather than ethernet.
FYI, the high res files were, in this case, played back from my PC’s SSD, rather than via the NAS that I previously used as a Roon Core.

Hi @Nick_Yanakiev,

Can you please try playing content to your PC’s “System Output” zone when it is in Core mode? System Output removes a few other variables, such as the audio endpoints themselves or the network connection between them.

The problem seems to be resolved. I reverted to using my audio server as a Core with one change- wanted to try and see if upgrading to a more capable router will change anything.

So far so great- performance has been consistent all day today with no variation based on internet traffic by my neighbours. Thanks for the assistance!

2 Likes

Hi @Nick_Yanakiev,

Thanks for letting me know! If the issue returns, do let us know and we can take another look.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.