Audio output settings discrepancies and connectivity issues post-Mac migration (ref#JIS78I)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

I see my device in Settings > Audio, but I can't enable it

I migrated from a Macbook Pro to an iMac. Now, when I go into the Audio settings on Roon, there are two audio outputs for my iMac--"System Output" and "iMac." Further, if I try to use "System Output" on my old Macbook Pro, it plays from the iMac and the MBP shows up as a network device. When I try to play through airplay, it doesn't work. Obviously, something got screwed up in the migration process, so do anyone have suggestions about fixing this other than doing a complete reinstall?

Did you restore from a backup (made on the old machine) to complete the migration?

1 Like

Strongly suggest not enabling or trying to use System Output… Roon doesn’t work very well that way. You may want to eliminate that first.

I foolishly did not, which I’m sure is where the problem comes from. I’m just wondering if I need to do a full reinstall to fix the issue or if there’s another, simpler solution.

Not sure how to eliminate an output, but I certainly will disable it. I normally use my iFi Gryphon anyways.

1 Like

I don’t know, sorry.

I’m a bit relieved that this didn’t happen after a backup/restore, because if so it would have pointed to a possible bug in the backup/restore mechanism, if it would have transferred these settings. It’s better that this can’t affect more people (sorry to say :slight_smile: although I feel for you)

1 Like

Michael,

Yes; no need to eliminate it; just try not Enabling it. See whether that helps - at least to diagnose. Good luck - please let us know if it helps :slight_smile: .

So I went ahead and deleted/reinstalled Roon on my iMac–keeping a copy of the backup in case it didn’t go well. It reinstalled with no problem. Then I deleted/reinstalled Roon on my MB Pro. The same problem persisted–could not get the MBP to play music from its own speakers. I found another user’s suggestion and tried to first set Roon up on my Apple TV. I followed his instructions (turning on the password for Apple TV/Airplay). I think I got it to work on Apple TV. Then I tried following those instructions on my MBP. I was able to enter the same password in there, but when I tried to play an album (I always test things out with Bowie’s Low), it wouldn’t play. I’d push the play button and it would immediately stop. So I have no clue what I’m doing wrong now, and I am thinking of just giving up on using Roon with the MBP.

@Michael_Heumann, it would be really helpful if you could elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish here. From your description it sounds like your iFi is working as expected, is that correct?

1. Are you trying to use the speakers on your MacBook as a secondary output?
  2. Are you running Roon Remote on that MacBook now?
  3. Do you want to use the built-in speakers on your iMac or are you confused as to why they are being used when trying to connect to the speakers on your MacBook?
1 Like

First and foremost, I want to make sure that Roon is working as it should on my main computer. It is working fine–the Gryphon works very well, and I’m wondering when it’ll have the “Roon Ready” label. Also, after reinstalling Roon on my iMac, Roon ARC on my phone now works as expected, so that’s a bonus.

So using Roon with the Macbook Pro is really the only stumbling block I’ve encountered. This is important to me because I’ve been thinking about expanding my audio system. That includes getting Roon Ready speakers as well as a Nucleus or a dedicated Mac Mini to use as my Roon Server. However, the thing that is stopping me from doing this right now is the Macbook Pro and its inability to use Roon. I don’t want to make my setup more complex if I can’t get my current setup to work properly.

Hey @Michael_Heumann,

Thanks for sharing the additional information! There is a troubleshooting step I think you’ll find helpful that I’ll share via PM as it contains sensitive information. Please keep an eye out for a message from me! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.