Audio Quality Issue When Using Chord Mojo on a Dell XPS 13

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Roon v 1.7 Build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wi-Fi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord Mojo external DAC connected to a Dell XPS 13 (9300) over USB C.

Description Of Issue

I am experiencing audio quality issues when outputting high resolution music via Roon (24 bit 96 KHz as an example) from my Dell XPS 13 (9300 model) out to the Chord Mojo external DAC. When playing back these high resolution audio files, there is a heavy level of audio distortion (hisses and pops and audio drop outs) that appears to occur randomly during playback. The issue may be limited to the Dell laptop as I experience no issues when playing the same audio file back via Roon, using the Chord Mojo, on a MacBook Pro. As a side note, the Dell XPS 13 does utilize Realtek audio drivers for its internal soundcard. Thanks for any thoughts or insights on what the possible problem might be.

Hello @John_Hunter, and thanks for your report! Could you please send me a screenshot of your signal path when playing to the DAC? Thanks!

Hi @nuwriy, thanks very much for the message. I have attached a screen shot of the signal path when playing back to the DAC.

Hello @John_Hunter, could you please reproduce the issue one more time and provide a timestamp when you do? I’d like to take a look at your diagnostic report and see what’s going on with the DAC, thanks!

Hi, I was able to replicate the issue again using a 96kHz 24bit FLAC file listened at 4:37pm PDT on 8/16/20.

??

I believe these are actually the settings in the Chord Windows USB Driver…
BTW, Macs don’t need the Chord drivers so they wouldn’t be affected in the same way.

Hi, I had the same problem, but with Chord Qutest and Dell Laptop and resolution over 96 kHz. Did you check device properties in Windows Sound setting?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.