Audio sources that can output to Roon -Victrola Stream Turntable

I noticed that Victoria Sapphire announced a turntable with Roon support at CES. I didn’t find much on it, but then came across this article https://www.cepro.com/audio-video/victrola-stream-turntables-add-roon-compatibility/

“This integration of the Victrola Stream turntable will be the first implementation of a new addition to the Roon Ready program. Where existing “Roon Ready” devices are outputs for Roon, this new feature allows hardware devices and apps on a local network to act as Sources for Roon, like a local internet radio station.”

Anyone know any more about this new type of Roon Ready support for sources?

3 Likes

Interesting stuff is happening and RR inputs sounds pretty cool. Nothing on the Roon blog yet, though.

Edit: Searching for the Victrola, I notice that in this context Roon now gets a lot of mention on the usual tech sites reporting about CES such as Engadget, in one breath with Sonos and referred to as a more advanced and powerful streaming system than that. I consider this a good thing for the time being.

2 Likes

Being able to use external devices such as turntables or other devices as a source to input into the Roon environment would be awesome. I found this on YouTube where the guy does so via an extension into an internet station. Called Rooplay

Rooplay is well represented on the forum, but it adds some complexity. Built-in would be quite an advancement (sorry @DrCWO :slight_smile: )

1 Like

The free Entrypoints extension did this two years before.

2 Likes

Yep, and I setup an icecast to broadcast things to Roon in what 2016? So, none of this is new. What would be new is a formally supported Roon solution.

See a how-to from 2019

Oh yes I did this back then as well, but could not get hires to work as ffmpeg just failed. Jans just was way easier to setup and he worked out the issue with hires and ffmpeg as Icecast alone only supported 16bit encoding.

The mentioned complexity you encounter only in the setup phase but how to do that is described in detail in the rooExtend-Box Manual in my download Area. If you got issues during setup I run a support thread here to help. Anyway I also believe that setup of rooPlay is much easier as with the free Entrypoint Roon Extension. It can be easily done by users without technical skills.

You also need a USB Audio Class 2 Audio interface to input audio from your turntable. I recommend three interfaces (low cost to High End) which I mentioned at the product page of rooPlay.

After the initial setup you can start playback from your turntable by simply starting the rooPlay Radio Station you created during setup. So in normal operation just start the rooPlay Radio Station and drop the needle. That’s is all that has to be done :smiley:

rooPlay supports Audio up to 24/192 as a lossless FLAC stream :+1:

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Danny commented on that turntable and how it inputs into Roon a while back

It uses this new’sh API in Roon

1 Like

I’ve been reading and watching and visiting your site. Probably something I’ll do on the near future. I was wondering however, anyone know if there an interface other than the ones mentioned that would allow for maybe a few analog inputs. For my specific example, turntable, cassette deck and cd player?

This is not easy to achieve especially if you like to get a phono pre. Inputs for S/PDIF plus analog (and also phono) is offered by RME ADI-2/4 Pro. Here its basic circuit diagram being operated in Multichannel USB mode.

As you can see it has one analog input only (switchable between phono, line, mic) but also AES and S/PDIF/Toslink. With rooPlay you can select which channel you like to use (1/2, 3/4 or 5/6) for input. In Roon you also can configure different Radio Stations for these tree inputs to get easy access to the inputs. You can not switch between S/PDIF and Toslink with rooPlay. This has to be done at the ADI-2/4 device.

The Furutech also mentioned has one analog input only that can be switched between phono and line.

Maybe you find an other USB Audio Class 2 compatible audio interface with more than one analog input but I can’t help here, sorry.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Just wanted to update in case others were looking for a similar solution. In the future I will upgrade to the RME ADI. For now to achieve the multiple analog source inputs I use my receiver as a switcher basically and use the Zone 2 output that feeds a Behringer (similar to the u-phono) U-Control UCA222 that then via USB feeds into the Roon environment via the entry point extension. Also will upgrade to the RooExtend in the future for the further feature set and capability to display content on my tv screen. Currently I use a Google tv device for the chromecast but wish to get rid of that into all together.

1 Like