Audiophile Switch Experiment Results

Agreed, the passing of packets becoming an “audiophile debate” is actually why high end audio companies and audiophiles alike, have such a terrible credibility problem…

5 Likes

Count me as one that easily recognized an immediate and substantial improvement from the EE 8S. Translation = More Better.

2 Likes

Don’t make such jokes!
4 years ago in another esoteric SQ thread I made a joke: with all the audiophools spending a lot of money for snake oil I should start a business and sell audiophile routers for a thousand bucks. And see where we are now.
There is nothing crazy enough in the audiophiile world so that even a really bad joke can become reality.

3 Likes

Full disclosure: I am an EE and work in networking. An audiophile ethernet switch makes no sense at all to me. Bits are bits right? And all the data reconstruction happens in the upper layers, right? On a lark I bought the Uptone Ether ReGen just hear. Can’t make a difference, right? I also got a crazy ethernet cable from Shunyata (why not?).

I did a similar test as above. Two switches in parallel. My listening was mostly DSDs to a Lumin X1 into Vinnie Rossi L2 Pre and ARC 160Ms. Speakers are Harbeth 40.2s. The first test was back an for the between the standard switch and the basic ports on the input side of the Uptone. I too had a friend swap them back and forth. I could not perceive any difference at all after about 20 swaps. So then I just compared the front ports to the “audio” port on the Uptone.

I am very sorry to say that I immediately heard a noticeable increase in fidelity. My friend (not audiophile) was also able to pick out the “audio” port 10/10 times. It just sounded better. The noise floor seemed lower. Not a huge delta, but it was there.

My only complaint about the Uptone is that it runs pretty hot, so we shall see how long it lasts. I bought a second one for. my headphone system (Lumin, Pathos, Auduze).

Not saying it will make a difference in everyone’s system, buy I definitely heard it.

9 Likes

I agree… +1 from my side…

Please read the EtherREGEN technical whitepaper. If you have anything to comment in public or in private, I’d like to know.

1 Like

Bottom line is that there is no right or wrong here. Try and buy what works best for you. It is your system and your ears that are in play here no matter what anyone says is true or not. It is also your money too.

^^^This^^^

7 Likes

+1

Aavid heat sink (https://uk.farnell.com/aavid-thermalloy/766203b04000/led-heat-sink-extrusion-1-79-c/dp/1835392#)

Addition of solid LPS and inexpensive AQ Saturn grounding cable will bring even more gain in overall performance

1 Like

Yes - exactly, the result is a subjective confirmation of an objective scientific fact; so the experiment was perfectly performed!

A similar test was performed - neither me, nor my wife, and even my wife’s boyfriend heard the difference …

1 Like

Please tell, How can I achieve this?

I think it works best when one sticks one’s head in the ground :wink:

1 Like

Definitely get more bass extension, although less air around the instruments.

Dear Tushar,

I’ll PM to You.

1 Like

Thank you…

1 Like

I have read the white paper, and I get it. I think the basic issue is real-time reconstruction and what is happening to the system while that reconstruction is happening. Coming from a data world, eventual consistency is just fine. We checksum the bits and ask for repeats of missing or bad data. It all gets there. Not so much in realtime, even with a massive buffer.

And there is the issue of the noise flowing through the cable into the system. As a data guy, I laughed at expensive USB cables, until I tried one. Wow! So I suppose I was already walking down the path when I got the Uptone. I am sold.

(and I love my X1 and D2s!!)

2 Likes

I totally get it. I took the Uptone to the same friend who helped me with the test. In his system, we could hear zero difference.

1 Like

Then you should identify and replace the bad or defect device from your chain and not adding more devices to it. More devices only leads to more potential problems.

3 Likes

I’ve been asking another poster before, but got no answer.

Now I’ll ask you:
Did you hear the noise floor before?
Still hear it after, just lowered?

I don’t hear any noise, even with my ears up to the drivers.

1 Like

I have floor noise, does that count ?

Without ridicule, my speakers are quiet as can be.
No noise or hum, even with the volume up high and ears close to them.

3 Likes