Australia: NBN Satellite Internet (Skymesh/ViaSat) Has Carrier-Grade NAT (Workarounds Required)

hi I cannot get ARC to work

Roon Core Machine

1. Who is your internet Provider? Skymesh

2. Please list the router ASUS GT AC 5300

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches? Yes router in battery room for hydronics and inverter monitoring, ubiquti bridge link wifi to observatory

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security? no

Connected Audio Devices

<Roon Bridge to raspberry pi 3 and Asus DAC usb, DEQX HDP-4 DAC/audio processor connected to roon core usb, nvidia shield wifi

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Diagnistics data follows:

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“119.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“10.95.109.78”},
“status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}
Hi I cannot figure out how to get this working. ofcourse it connects over wif. but not cell network. grateful any suggestions. thanks.

1 Like

@Peter_Treyde, sorry to hear about your configuration issues with getting ARC to work. In your ARC error message, I am seeing two subnets on your network, the 10.95.109.xxx subnet and the 192.168.1. subnet, with your 119.aaa.bbb.ccc address being your public IP address. This is resulting in a multiple-NAT configuration issue, which should be solvable, but may take a few more questions to clarify some things.

For Roon to work correctly, all devices need to be on the same subnet. Roon ARC is seeing multiple networks, which I believe is causing some of the behaviour you are experiencing.

Which of the subnets, the 10.95 or 192.168, is your Core using, and is that subnet’s router connected directly to the router from Skymesh? Is the Skymesh router the ASUS router or another device, if so what is the brand and model, and what is the brand/model of the router in the battery room?

1 Like

Hi Robert, thanks for your prompt and helpful reply! We access the internet via satellite as we are in a "remote’ location. To answer your questions, and I don’t really understand the terms: the Roon Core IP address is 192.168.1 162, the WAN IP address is 10.95. etc. The core is connected to the Asus router “directly” through a 5 port TP Link (TL SF1005D) switch? The Asus router is connected directly to the Skymesh modem/router. That device has the logo VIAsat on it and is owned by NBN Co Australia. There is no model number on it.

The “router”

Add im

ages

in the battery room is a Netgear 8 port switch it is mounted on the wall and I can't access a model number. Pictures attached. I hope that helps. It may not be relevant but the ASUS is also connected to two Ubiquiti wifi antennas which form a bridge to an observatory so the computer in there can access the internet. cheers

@Robert_F is in the US, and won’t be around for a while, so I thought I’d step in to keep things moving.

We know from the diagnosis feedback that the Asus is on 192.168.1.1, but it will be necessary to connect to the other router to setup port forwarding.

Your external IP address is 119.aaa.bbb.ccc. This is analogous to the address of your home, and Roon uses this to communicate with your core.

However, all devices inside your home use a private address. These start either 10.aaa.bbb.ccc or 192.aaa.bbb.ccc. You have both because there are two routers.

The Asus uses 192.168.1.1. You need access to the other router to setup port forwarding.

However, it’s not entirely clear from the pictures what devices you have.

1. Is the Netgear a switch or router?
  2. What is the box below the Netgear?
  3. What is the black box on the other picture?
  4. What are the model numbers of each device?
  5. Can you access the admin pages using a web browser?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Martin, I dont really understand your questions, but here is some background and also my answers to the questions you asked. We live in a “remote” area. We live completely off grid. In Australa internet access in remote areas is via satellite, and there are a number of ISPs who provide that connectivity. However, the hardware etc is provided by NBN Co. That includes the satellite dish and the Modem.
In response to your questions (1) I do not know the difference between a switch and a router. The Netgear router/switch merely connects the hydronics system, battery inverters, garage wifi, Roon endpoint etc to the internet. The primary purposees so Stiebel in Germany can monitor what our Hydronics system is doing and ARVIO in Melbourne can see what our PV system is doing. I have simply connected/added the wifi and Roon endpoint to the shed through the Netgear switch/router thingy. My Asus Router is currently set up for port forwarding using HTTP for the Stiebel ISG. As far as I know that works. It has a 192.168. xx etc address. (2)The box below the Netgear is part of the Hydronics system that provides internet connectivity. Neither are in the house, they are also some 50 meters away from the Asus modem in my home office. (3)The black box is the NBNCo modem that is connected to the satellite dish, and that the Asus router (which connects to the Roon Core) is connected to. As I mentioned in my earlier message it does not have a model number on it. (4) I can access the Stieble box as it has a 192.168.1 xxx address. photo attached I have no idea how to access the NBNCo modem. The Asus Modem is simply plugged into it and is thus able to connect to the internet. I hope this helps

Hi Martin. Any further advice?
Peter

Hi @Peter_Treyde,

Thank you for your patience and for the detail you’ve provided so far.

Unfortunately, NBN’s satellite partner (VIASat) has implemented blanket carrier-grade network address translation for their accounts, placing you in the unfortunate group of Roon ARC users who will have to temporarily pursue one of the following workarounds:

1. request a dedicated routable IPv4 address from your service providers. NBN’s offerings vary considerably from subnetwork provider to subnetwork provider. It’s worth inquiring directly with ViaSat or NBN’s support department whether they offer workarounds for port forwarding, as this is likely a common inquiry.

2. Consider an unofficial workaround like TailScale, NordVPN, or another VPN, in our #tinkering and #roon sections. Here’s an example thread: Tailscale implementation with ARC to circumnavigate ISP CGNAT

There are other satellite internet providers with similar implementation, most notably Starlink: Note for Starlink Customers. The Roon team is actively working on solutions to allow port forwarding to autoconfigure for more users. Let me know if we can answer any questions in the meantime.

2 Likes

Hi Connor, thanks for your helpful response. I will contact my ISP with that information and see how I get on. Peter

Hi @Peter_Treyde,

As an internal update, we continue to make progress on integrating IPv6-format addresses into ARC’s implementation, which should hopefully allow for auto-configuration.

Thank you again for your patience, and we’re here to support if your ISP is unable to resolve the issue promptly with a routable IPv4 format address in the meantime.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Treyde,

I wanted to check in since some time has passed. On our end, we’ve made progress implemented IPv6 workarounds and hope to have a more permanent solution to work with and around CG-NAT in the coming months. This would ideally provide an out-of-box solution for NBN users like yourself, precluding any interaction with your service provider’s tech support.

Have you been able to successfully configure ARC since contacting NBN?

Hi Connor, thanks for the update and for following up. I have been travelling, and life etc got in the way these past months! This issue has, for now, fallen into my “too hard basket”. I have yet to contact my ISP. I hope to do that in the near future. I am not sure I understand your comment re IPv6. Does that mean there is an alternative solution that can be implemented? cheers Peter