Auto login to Roon (non headless version)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Twice:
Windows10 Pro 10.0.18363 (64bits)
RoonInstaller64.exe latest version

Aslo: RoPieee and mobile Android, but not involved in the current issue. Both ok.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Fully wired Ethernet network for all nodes (excl. control mobiles of course)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
All PCs with Windows 10 with external DACs

Description Of Issue
I installed Roon (full = not only server: with RoonInstaller64.exe) on a ‘powerful’ Windows PC that will be also the main listening point (used as home theater central point also).

I want to start it in the morning, and shut it down for the night.
I have set up an auto login and put Roon.exe in the start up of Windows so that I just have to power it up when I get up. That works fine.

Unfortunately, Roon ask credentials before starting up. So I need to start the projector, wait for it to heat, sit and type them in. This is not comfortable.

I don’t want to buy a second powerful PC to have a headless server - that seems to skip the authorization step as it starts.

So…

• How can I FULLY start the full Roon program without needing to enter the credentials manually?
    (like: arguments to Roon.exe, a “remember me” check in the login or the set up, settings in a configuration file containing username="…", password="…" )

• Should I install the server ALSO (2 installs on the same PC) to achieve that? (it seems the headless version allows to remember the credentials) Is it even possible?

Thank you!

Install server also, start server, deauthorize core, authorize server, then find Roon icon in taskbar, right click and check auto start.
This way, it’ll start with your PC, no questions asked.
Start Roon core to get the UI and control things from there, or just use a remote app.

1 Like

Great. Happy to hear that is possible. I will try right after work today :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you very much! It worked right away.

The next step was to achieve that to a remote activation with “Wake-on-Lan”. That was much more tricky and technical… but it ended up working.

Regarding roonserver process, it is worth mentioning I guess that I had to trigger the relaunch of the RoonServer exe file at restart after sleep/hibernate since it seems like the original process dies when it wakes up… or when the system goes to sleep/hibernate.

Anyway, everything is in place now, and I can startup the core from my bed as I get up without going 2 floors down :slight_smile:

Hello @Yves_ADAM, and thanks for your report! Our team is currently tracking this issue and working towards a resolution. I’ve added your information to our internal tracker for the issue as well. Please let us know if you have further issues.

1 Like

You don’t have to permanently do all that complicated stuff with RoonServer and Roon.

What you were doing was fine. That’s the way I run my Core, without any login problems.

Currently, there is a Roon bug which is causing your troubles, not the way you run Roon.

1 Like

Yes indeed. I thought yesterday it was solved, but in fact this morning it did not work…
Looks like the session times out on the server side and you need to re-login…

Really annoying indeed.

Hi Nuwriy, is it possible to download and use an earlier version to overcome that issue? I am still under trial period but not for long, and I am not sure I am willing to pay that amount of money if I can’t see it working as I need…

Thank you!

Since support seems to be especially busy, I will butt in here.

There is no fall back to an older version. Roon has never supported that.

Due to your ongoing problems, @accounts (whom I have just tagged) will probably extend your trail.

Since after a complete shutdown it looks ok, my intention now is to use a hardware solution to boot the PC from full power off (after shutdown) using a wifi device via Internet (like sonoff) to activate the ATX power button of the PC. Once at home I still can verify it is is up or down with my mobile using some App (like Wake on Lan).
But this is a bit tricky and still needs t o be verified. I hope I can do it before the end of the trial period…

Is there often such kind of very annoying bugs?

Yes, I hope they could do that…

Hey @Yves_ADAM,

Just replied over a PM.

Thanks for working with our technical team to resolve this. And thanks to everyone helping along the way :smile:

Rebeka

1 Like

H iRebeka,

3 days to go before my license expires.
Any good news regarding the “auto login” issue?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Yves

Hey @Yves_ADAM,

Thanks for staying connected. This is the latest update from our technical team from a few days ago, but I’m afraid we haven’t yet reached the good news part:

I’m sorry that this still isn’t resolved - we are working on it,
Rebeka

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.