B1275 Roon and MUSE

Thinking more about the matter, I’m not so sure that “rebranding” Roon’s DSP is the best way forward.

This may just draw attention to a feature set of Roon that seems to be pretty much abandoned by Roon Labs (bugs not fixed for years, feature suggestions ignored) and only working reliably for 2-channel stereo setups, I think. Customers reading an announcement about MUSE, as brand for the entirety of Roon’s DSP features, may develop expectations that things have changed/improved (bugs got fixed, feature suggestions got considered/implemented). Finding out this isn’t actually the case may just lead to another round of threads of angry customers in the forum.

This is not about damning the progress made. Adding a (working) subset of Roon’s DSP capabilities to ARC for those users is great. I just think it’s probably better to not draw attention on broken parts by rebranding all of Roon’s DSP. Maybe it’s better to use the MUSE “brand” for ARC only, as implied by the introductory release notes IMO anyway, and postpone the brand expansion until progress has made in those other areas.

Longstanding issue threads I could dig up in reasonable time and that seem to be unresolved:

And also the longstanding issue with (SACD) 5.0 content and some parts of Roon’s DSP Engine:

Top feature suggestions out of my head:

• Showing the active DSP preset (name) prominently
  • Allow for quick switching of presets (probably where the preset name is prominently shown)
5 Likes