Error with DSP, Procedueral EQ, Mix together with MQA [Ticket In]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
windowx 10 x64/ roon 1.7(build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

raspberry pi 4, ubuntu server 20.04 LTS amd64, hifiberry DAC2 HD HAT, RoonBridge 1.7 (build 571), RCA, Libratone ZIPP MIINI 2

Description Of Issue

When I try to use DSP, procedural EQ, Mix, and no other DSP, and play MQA from Tidal, I get an erorr message ‘Unexpected error communicating with audio device’. From the logs, the below appears

10/28 22:00:37 Warn: [zoneplayer] failed to start stream System.ArgumentException: only supports 2ch content
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.TruncateBitDepthStream…ctor(AudioEnv env, AudioStream backing, Int32 bitspersample)
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.DspConfig.ConvertBitDepthIfNeeded(AudioEnv env, AudioStream stream, List1 signal_path, IList1 devices, String chmap, SRCPlan plan)
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.DspConfig.Build(AudioEnv env, AudioStream stream, List`1 signal_path, Boolean has_volume_leveling_or_xfade, SRCPlan plan, Boolean initial_src_done)
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.ZonePlayerSingleEndpointStream…ctor(AudioEnv env, AudioStream stream, Boolean is_volume_leveling_enabled, Boolean is_xfade_enabled, IAudioDevice device, SRCPlan plan, Boolean initial_src_done)
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.RaatZonePlayer.StartStream(StartStreamParameters ps)
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.RaatZonePlayer.<>c__DisplayClass21_0.g__Finish|0()
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.RaatZonePlayer.Prepare(Action cb_done)
at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.ZonePlayerBase._StartStream()

This does not happen(ie it works fine) if I play a non MQA track, but fails with every MQA track I try. If I turn the DSP off, there is also no error playing any MQA tracks.
I have tried MQA Renderer only and MQA Decoder and Renderer and also downmixing and Channel mapping on the device setup, but all combinations fail the same.

Please advise. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @xushichangdesmond,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out! Can I please ask that you submit a screenshot of your Procedural EQ DSP Settings?

Hi @noris

Hi @noris
To add, the exact mixing rules dont matter. As long as there is mix in the pipe, it screws up. Any other DSP works fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional details @xushichangdesmond, let me check in with the technical team on this and get back to you.

Hi @xushichangdesmond,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved.

Thanks again for the report!

For what it’s worth I just wanted to say I am experiencing this exact same problem. I’m running Roon on a MacBook Air M1 streaming to a Bluesound Node 2i over Ethernet

Any attempt to use procedural EQ with a Tidal MQA stream results in a “too many failures“ error, and playback stops.

1 Like

Hello @Doug_Hannah,

A) Are you running the latest firmware for your Bluesound Node 2i?

B) Do you experience this issue when playing to the “System Output” zone on your Mac?

-John

Hey @john

Yes I am running the latest firmware on the Node 2i

No, it does not do this when zoning to system output. In my use case, using system output means I can’t hear any music since the computer is in another room, but in fact, playback is not affected when doing so.

Thanks!

Hi @Doug_Hannah ,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Same issue almost 1 yr later… will this ever get fixed?

This topic was automatically closed after 14 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.