B1391 - "can't connect to Roon search" message

Inspired by a post by @Mikael_Ollars

I ran this classic amongst search terms and got this:

which is a first - cannot recall having seen this status message ever before. Just reporting it and not been able to reproduce in 5 subsequent attempts.

Asides and moans, all in good spirit:

• Bit puzzling that the message sits above what suspiciously looks like a result set.

• IMO the result set as a whole is both weird and terrible. (I know, nothing new there) Yes, what I was primarily looking for / expecting sits at the top. But the bunch of stuf that starts with ‘the’ in various result sections seems next to meaningless. E.g. under albums there is not a single “The The” album - just an apparently random selection of 48 albums with common denominator AFAIK a single occurrence of “the” somewhere in the album title.

Amusing fact - Ian Shaw’s “The theory of joy” is also not returned under albums. Somehow it sneaked into my library though :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(this reminds me that we really need to have a different pictogram back for filtering, differentiating it clearly from search!)

• the result set (on mobile at least) has no option to filter or sort. Makes zooming in on anything intended to be found cumbersome and difficult between all the crud, if it’s there at all. Keep on scrolling…

• and yep, it still felt rather sluggish, estimate 6-8 seconds to come up with what it did.

Server: ROCK / NUC 8i7BEH
Remote: Fairphone 4+, Android 13
Local library only, no streaming service. Now surely that should make search so much simpler … :grimacing:

You may be experiencing (a version of)/(one of) the issues described in these threads:

which prompts me to suggest restarting your Roon server. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for engaging and digging around for reference info on the forum - quick glance suggest that much of it wouldn’t apply with my setup ( a relatively powerful NUC running ROCK) in this specific case. Agree a restart would make sense if the issue was repeating / reproducible and caused grief - so far not. I’ll actually refrain from restarting for now, in case Roon is interested in digging around to see what may cause this message with a returned result set. (I should have put that aspect a bit more upfront perhaps, not under the ‘moans’)
But again - appreciated!

Just noted that there appear to be fellow sufferers outside Early Access:

and

1 Like