BackGround audio analysis speed stalls [Investigation Started]

Roon Server Machine

Nucleus 4TB
‘Late 2017’ iMac Pro running 13.6.1
Roon 2.0 build 1357

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Synology RT 6600ax

Connected Audio Devices

Halo Parasound stereo with a variety of endpoints; mainly now WiiM Pro (967E) Ethernet then co-ax

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Have been performing simple maintenance on my Roon Library in accordance with this post.

No problems - except that the Settings > Library > Background audio analysis speed keeps getting ‘stuck’, stalls (especially after a re-import of an album which I have modified outside Roon to regularize multi-album box sets’ tracks etc).

I’ve found a good half dozen similar topics/threads here seeming to report the same (or a parallel/similar) issue.

I’m typically leaving it to run for up to an hour! Normal?

Is this a known bug? Should I just be patient? Can I simply turn the process off and back on (which seems to clear it) and not worry about potential corruption etc to my Library? Are there other solutions, please?

I have things like this happen, too, on occasion. Turning the process off then back on is a fine solution, and it won’t corrupt your library.

1 Like

I also experienced this once with an album (more precisely, a track from an album). My solution was to reconvert the album to new FLAC files, using the same characteristics as the original files.

Yes it’s known been reported a gazzilion times I have an open ticket about it that’s been ignored. They don’t seem to be bothered acknowledging this one. Yet it constantly pops up. If you edit metadata at all on a live database it causes it on rescan and will do it for any newly added albums until you reboot.

Thanks - as always - @DDPS!

That’s what I’ve been doing. Or changing ‘speed’ and/or the same for ‘On-demand audio analysis speed’. And restarting the server. I also saw to check for ‘Corrupted’ in Album Focus; nothing :slight_smile:

They none of them seem to make a difference.

Your re-assurance about the Library’s integrity much appreciated.

I guess I still don’t really know either why it’s happening and so how to prevent it.

Or, perhaps just as crucially, whether I need somehow to repeat the process: IOW are Albums/Tracks unanalyzed after killing the process? And is that to their detriment?

Daniel,

Thanks!

In fact it was something similar to that which seems to be causing it.

(Though that could be incidental): I have been re-importing all my box sets properly split per these guidelines. Each time the (‘new’) files are imported, I get the stall :frowning: .

I may be misremembering, but I don’t remember seeing it before I switched to Nucleus recently - although that seems unlikely!

I’m sure I saw another progress of ‘x/y’ just under the Settings > Library > ‘Clean up Library’ button before. Now I don’t. Maybe that’s with the advent of version 2’s split of server and client?

In my experience, you don’t. The analysis seems to complete OK, it’s just that the UI gets stuck.

Thanks, @CrystalGipsy!

Of course your post is actually very encouraging: it tells me that I’m not (necessarily) doing anything wrong; and that there’s not (necessarily) anything wrong with my installation.

Maybe I should actually specifically open a ticket in addition to the Support threads here.

Appreciated :slight_smile: !

Better and better (to know)! Thx…

Have you tried this procedure?

• Turn off both analysis.
  • Delete current files from storage.
  • Perform clean library.
  • Stop Roon Server.
  • Add new files to storage.
  • Start Roon Server.
  • Wait for Roon Server to fully start and to identify new files.
  • Start background analysis.
1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions, Daniel - Yes, I have and even restarting my computer.

Although that usually kills the process, it immediately stalls the next time I add to or change anything in my Library.

I guess i feel I don’t want to have to do that every time, particularly

• Delete current files from storage.

I have several hundred!

I’m sorry, but I wasn’t clear enough. You don’t have to delete all the storage.
You wrote “especially after a re-import of an album which I have modified outside Roon to regularize multi-album box sets’ tracks etc”. I meant to delete only that album, not the entire storage.

1 Like

No prob., Daniel! I wondered if you might. Thanks :slight_smile:

In fact, it usually seems to be that very Album-just-imported which must be triggering the rescan.

Whether or not that Album - or, for that matter - any always-the-same Album or a previously unscanned-because-not-allowed-to-complete Album, I can’t tell, alas.

Hi @Mark_Sealey,
Try removing the muti-album box set from your local storage and reupload them separately.

1 Like

Thanks, @daniel.

I’ve tried that - but I get the same result. Almost every import I carry out now seems to stall in that way.

Hi @Mark_Sealey,
Sorry about the belated response. Are you still having the analysis issue?

1 Like

Thanks, @daniel - I appreciate that you are all very busy.

Yes, I am:

This has been stuck on ‘293’ for about half an hour today.

I’d be quite happy if it’s a known bug and that - as has been said in this forum - this is a cosmetic/interface bug; and that the analysis really has finished. I see that several other users are having the same experience.

I can usually dismiss the (faulty?) count by selecting 'Off; in the dropdown and relaunching Roon.

Otherwise I leave it for as long as I can; and then hope that my next (ideally small) import will ‘nudge’ it into completing. This does happen.

But it would be good to know whether all tracks have in fact been scanned; and if not, what can be done about it, please.

Thanks for your further attention to this :slight_smile: .

@daniel, I also had this today as well, because I moved some new files to a wrong directory then moved them to where I wanted them. This then caused analysis to get in this bad state, all albums I added after this woukd all process but would be left with say 27/28 or 15/16 with it spinning endlessly. Stopping analysis only cleared it until I added more later then same thing occurred. Only way out of it was a reboot.

It seems the analysis stage gets in a mess if you change anything during its process and it’s not exiting nearly.

Thanks for adding that, @CrystalGipsy! It would be great to know that it’s a bug on RoonLabs fix list :slight_smile: .

If I may, though, I’d make clear that ‘changing while active’ is not the only circumstance under which it can (appear to?) stall: I often add a simple set of files, say 8 or 9, and I’ll get the same thing.

By the same token there are times when it successfully completes after adding several dozen: on both occasions when nothing is playing or otherwise in process.

Does that help, @daniel ?

Yes I’ve had it that way to. Possibly it’s some issue with the copy process.

1 Like