Backing up Roon and Pointing Roon to my music files via "watch"

HI,

I have a nucleus on my network. I have a 1 TB internal ssd that I store about 700 albums on. I use MacBook and iPad devices connected to Meridian equipment.

I am having difficulty backing my nucleus music files I added an external SSD for back up.

I can’t get Roon to complete a back up of point to my watch files ?

I can select the SSD folder but Roon sends an error message “cannot find backup directory”

Just to be clear, Roon does not back-up your music files, it only backs up your database. That is your playlists, edits, play history, configuration details, and preferences. The backup does not include your media (music) files.

If you are trying to back up your music files you will need to use your MacBook to do that.

Understood, still having trouble doing that as described

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Normally this message might appear if you are setting up a Backup of Roon’s database and settings using the Backup function of Roon.

But I think you are trying to make a backup of the music files in the Watched Folder of Roon - and then you wouldn’t be using Roon’s Backup function, but would have to use a PC or Mac in your network to copy the files from your Watched Folder to the external SSD.

Thank you for your response and time. Im sorry I was not clear. I understand my music library won’t back up on roon’

1-I am trying to backup Roon which at one time my system was doing that until I had to reset my set up. I can’t seem to replicate that.
2- I lost the watch folder, I am trying to get that back. Once upon time I useditunes and Roon watched my iTunes and when I added music to it Roon picked it up in the watch folder. I can’t remember how I set that up or if Apple Music(not iTunes now) does not do that anymore? I set up a separate ssd with my backed up music files.

What I am trying to also accomplish it make the music backup automatic. Like I said when I added to iTunes it would be in iCloud and then backup on my time cap so I was covered.

I rip my cd’s right to nucleus internal SSD using DB power and that pat works fine. Its the backups on both Roon and the media I am struggling with. Hope that clarifies a bit?

Sorry, I’m still a bit unclear about what you are trying to do. Do you mean that you are trying to setup the Nucleus’ internal SSD to replicate the functionality you had with the Roon Watched Folder set to the iTunes Folder on your Mac? You are no longer using iTunes?

Thanks again. no. Nucleus is set up with an internal 1TB SSD all is fine with that.

Trying to back up the nucleus system. I had that running but now I’m getting error messages about finding a path?

separate I am ripping my library of cds. I rip directly to the nucleus. I back that up manually to another portable SSD ( looking for any automated solution?)

Lastly I use to have a watch folder which pulled from my iTunes/Apple Music files, I lost that as well?

Right, so there are three things here to address. Let’s take them one by one, and start with the first.

You had the Backup running, and now it’s not. Do you know when this changed, and was there something that caused it?

Can you show a screenshot of what you get when you click on “View” in Settings > Backups > Scheduled backups?

Oh, and I’ve taken the liberty to moving this thread to the Nucleus Support category of the forum, so that the Support team can get involved in helping you as well. I expect that they will want to know details of your setup, network and all. The more information we have, the easier it often is to help…

Hey @Tony_D

Thank you for getting in touch with your question. I see you’ve been getting some recommendations here from some of Community’s knowledgable contributors. Thank you as always @Geoff_Coupe and @bearFNF for the assist.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Your issue could be Tony that you’re trying to create a backup in the same folder location where your watched music is stored. You DON’T want to do that. I’ll link the backup how-to here again for easy reference, please notice that we advise against placing your backup in a scanned folder.

Can you please provide a screenshot of the error message you’re seeing when you try to set-up your back-up?

Also, it sounds like you’ve installed an internal storage drive to your Nucleus, and added an external drive. If that’s the case you could create a folder for backups on that drive. You just want to make sure that it’s not contains inside your watched music folder.

We’ll be watching for your response and get back to you as soon as we can.

My set up is.

Meridian 5200 se spas
Meridian 218 end

Comcast modem
Nucleus with a 1TB internal SSD with the music files
Thwack up is a external SSD drive usb plugged into the Roon

This set up has not changed and it was backing up before? So I’m perplexed

Thank you all I now have the Roon backup working properly, much appreciated for all your responses

1 Like

Thanks.

I have a Roon nucleus with a 1TB internal drive installed with my music files
The Nucleus is directly connected to my Comcast modem/router via ethernet cable
I also have an external ssd that I do my Roon backs ups to, no issues there that works fine.

I used to have my watch list folder pointed to my MBP iTunes/Music. when I added music to the Apple Music app the watch folder would update in real time so both music storage areas (the internal ssd in nucleus and the Mac) would match. That way my files had two backups the internal ssd and the Mac backup on my MBP and the cloud . it all worked fine until I upgraded to a new MBP

I did not remember the “Path” I used to identify Apple Music files.

Now the storage part of Roon for some reason does not see the Mac? Ill try and screen shot

never shows the Mac just the external ssd?

Sounds as though you need to share the folder on your new MBP and then add the shared folder as a network share in Roon.