Backup issue on Antipodes K50

Hi,

I’m playing on an Antipodes K50 musicserver/streamer.
Before the server is an Ansuz Acoustics X-TC network switch which is connected directly to the modem/router.

Normally after updating the Antipodes server, Roon sees it as a different server so i have to log in again and put back my Roon back-up. I never had any problems with making & putting back back-ups.

The Roon back-ups go to a folder i have made myself in the storage > music folder. So it’s on the SSD’s in the back of the K50, the same location where the music is located but in a separate folder. I have always done it like this.

After making a back-up, i make a folder and name it the day i made it & then Roon Back-Up.
For instance : “2022-01-28 Roon Back-Up”
And then i put the back-up in that folder so i can see the date of when the back-up has been made. The name of the main back-up folder remains unchanged.

But since the last V3.13 update from Antipodes, i can’t put back my Roon back-up anymore.
I have 4 back-ups, none of them work. I have tried copying one of the back ups to a new folder to see what that does, and Roon simply says : “No back-ups found, check the back-up folder and try again”

With the original 4 back-ups Roon says this strange message (i’m translating it from Dutch to English myself so Roon may put it slightly differently) : “An error occured with finding the back-up list (InvalidRoot). Check the folder of your back-up and try again”

What am i supposed to do?
I have added a lot of Tidal albums to my library and made a lot of Tags & Playlists, i don’t want them to be lost because of some unexplainable back-up fault.

I have made a screenshot of the message in Dutch i get when trying to make a back-up in the way that always worked before.

I see only one thread about this issue, and that appears to have been marked as solved, and closed as a result.

Assuming that it was closed in error, let’s leave it that way, and get Support involved in this new thread.

I see that you appear to be making backups manually. Is there some reason why you are doing this, and not using the scheduled backups function of Roon? That function will also show you date and timestamps of all backups taken using it (via the Clean/Restore menu option).

You appear to be using the Clean/Restore option in your screenshot - but if you have renamed the backup folders, it is perhaps not surprising that Roon can’t find them.

Try using the Find Backups function of Roon to browse the file system and locate your folders that way.

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, my previous topic was closed but not solved. As you can see by my last answer on that topic.

The reason i make my backups manually is because i don’t leave my server on overnight and we play music all throughout the day (it’s playing in a shop). We are fine with making manual backups because we do not need so many, so once every 2-3 months or so we make our own backups manually. Not that this should matter in my opinion.

I did not rename any backup, i made a folder and placed the backup inside of the folder. This way i can give my backups a name without renaming them.

Hereby some screenshots to give you an idea what it looks like. I put Roon on English to make it a bit easier.
Also, as you can see Roon only finds 1 backup, and that’s my test backup which i made afterwards, so there isn’t really any information in this backup that i need. If i were to delete the test backup, it would give me the invalid root message.

Really not sure what is going on here but this for context.
I use an Antipodes Core and I let Roon do auto backups overnight every 4 days.
I also have the backup saved on this auto backup onto the internal SSD separate to the music stored on it.
I am also on 3.13.

I had to restore from a backup right after a major power spike only last week and had no issues with Roon finding and restoring the auto created backups and picked the latest one and restored.

So I do not think there is anything wrong with the basic architecture of Roon backup and AMS3.13 with internal SSD storage.

I think the issue is that you are second-guessing what Roon is doing by:

All you need to do is just have a top-level folder “Roon Backups”, and let Roon use that as the location for your manual backups. Roon will create the backup folders that it needs within that.

Then, when you use “Find Backups”, just browse to the Roon Backups folder and select that. Roon will then show you all the backups that you have taken within that folder, all nicely date and timestamped.

5 Likes

I’m having some internet problems right now, i’m answering you on a mobile hotspot.
I will check it when my main internet works again.

But maybe when i remove the singular maps where the Roon Backups are located and put all the backups into 1 map it will work again, but i doubt it.

Also, like i said, i have always done it like this and it always worked so something must’ve changed in Roon for it to suddenly stop working.

Well, I doubt it too, because you have renamed the folders from what Roon calls them?

Again, i have not given the folders which Roon made a different name.
I have made an extra folder which was called the date + Roon backup and then placed the folder with the backup that Roon made (without renaming it) into the main folder i have made.

Look at picture number 4 on my reply 3 hours ago, look at the map structure under the words ‘selected folder’. K50Server > Icon of Harddisk, Storage, Roon Backups, 2022-01-28 Roon Back-Up and you see what’s inside, the folder that Roon made in exactly it’s original name : 38971d71-57e4-0c04-8716-39e4929c5e89

Well, be it on your own head… :grinning: Try it, and see what happens… Personally, I’d just let Roon do its own thing. As the apocryphal Chinese expression has it, why bark if you have a dog?

I did let Roon do it’s own thing and then made a map structure before it so it’s more clear to me, i have not altered any backup in any way. As my own Chinese saying goes, why did the dog suddenly stop barking even though i still feed him the same food everyday?

Probably because he felt you were not letting him do his job? :grinning:

Let’s see what Support says, when this reaches the head of their queue…

This is an unnecessary step. I understand the rationale, but when you perform a restore you get the following, i.e. a chronological list of your backups.

You mentioned that your method has worked in the past, but it looks like that your decision to move the backup is now causing a problem.

I’d suggest you create a single location for your backups, as @Geoff_Coupe suggested, and then–should the need arise–use the Backup manager to pick the date of the backup you wish to restore.

I noticed that one of the recent updates (933?) said it was re-doing the database after it started up for the first time. Updates don’t usually say that. Could it be that the database format was changed, and backups made previous to that are no longer valid?

Just a fellow Antipodes Roon Core server user here.
If as a test you could manually create a backup using the Roon folder structure it may help support tremendously.
I would suggest going in and making a manual backup selecting Roon Backups on the internal ssd and modify nothing at all.
Then when completed, go back into backups and attempt to restore that backup from that Roon created location.

This should help Roon in troubleshooting your issue, please bear in mind that whether it worked in the past with your method will not be relevant to this simple straight forward test.

We will be looking for your reply, thank you.

1 Like

Hi @Derk_Broos,

Thank you for reaching out and posting publicly on the forums. My team would be happy to help pinpoint the issue. First, would you please clarify what you mean with the below statement?

Do you mean that you lose your Roon library every time the Antipodes server software updates, and then have to restore from Backup?

As others have pointed out, Roon’s backup mechanism works best with a single destination folder. Roon will create any backup folders it needs to manage storage within this top-level folder, where you can also navigate to access and restore backups. Creating a separate backup folder can invite unintended confusion, as it’s working against the grain of Roon’s functionality.

In order for our technical support team to have a deeper look, would you please leave the Antipodes server on overnight? This will allow us to investigate the logs and have a deeper look at might what be going on.

Thank you for your patience, and we’ll be watching for your response.

Hi Connor,

Thank you very much for your response.
I will elaborate on the Antipodes update & it’s effect on Roon.
Every time we update to the newest Antipodes software, Roon recognizes it as a different server, this means that i will have to log in again after the update and deauthorize the same server (but with the previous software version) to log in on the same server with the newest Antipodes software. Most of the albums i have added to my library from Tidal remain, but all my favourites, tags, playlists and settings are gone.

We are still coping with internet problems today, i hope i can get them fixed today so i can work on the Antipodes server to remove all additional folders i have made to see if that has any effect, if not, i can leave my Antipodes online overnight and i will let you know.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, but i have already made a test backup and saved it in the exact same way as my other backups. So with an extra folder called ‘Test Backup’, you can see the folder in one of the screenshots i have sent in an earlier reply. I could find & restore this backup without any problem, but the older ones (which are the ones i need) don’t work anymore.

Hi Derk.
Have you reached out to Antipodes support on this matter?
I ask because this has never happened to myself and I have been running an Antipodes Core server since v2.5.
Went through the big update to ams3 and onwards each time to present version without this ever occuring.

So I am not entirely sure it is a Roon issue per se?.
However I don’t have the K50 but I am fairly sure all the software has same basic functionality between models.

Hi,

No, it happens to every Antipodes in our shop and to all the Antipodes models of all customers we have as far as i know. The older and the newer Antipodes models that i know of all face this. We use the K50 here but we have updated plenty of S30/S40 here too, we have customers with old models like the DX or Core or DS GT, and also CX/EX. Whenever we do an Antipodes update, the player software is set to Spotify Connect instead of Roon so we manually have to set it back to Roon and we have to log in again and deauthorize our same server.

Maybe i don’t hear from the people who don’t have this problem, but i have heard about & experienced this problem many times.

Antipodes support can’t fix this because they say it’s a Roon issue.
There should be a guy coming over to fix our internet soon, so we should be able to do the things i have talked about earlier in this thread.

Hmm, yes it resets to Spotify after updating but then when I reselect Roon as Core it doesn’t see it as a “new” server, I just need to log back in.
And I am up and running again.
I consider that different to “being seen as a new server”.
But maybe we are just talking semantics here.