Backup prior to migration question

Roon Core Machine

2.0 1182

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hello, just a general question about migrating from a Mac to a Nuc. When I first set up on a Mac last week, there were a lot of artist and album art missing, so I went through and manually added them all. I have now backed up ready to migrate from my Mac to a nuc. Will this backup bring all the artwork I added manually or will I have to do it all again? Thanks.

Yes, the backup preserves your changes.

In case you haven’t seen this…

1 Like

Thank you!

So, the NUC (10i3FNK) was set up with Rock and it seems to be working I could only find one download for Rock (this - roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz) I can access the web interface and it shows on my network, and I was able to add the codecs. I backed up fully to a Fat 32 formatted USB drive from my Mac, which I then transferred over to the front USB port on the NUC. I disconnected from my Mac and using my iPad, I disconnected from the Mac server and attempted to connect to the Rock and restore the backup from the log in page as per the guide. The backup restored OK and the Rock came back online, but when I try to log in, it says 'This version of Roon is not compatible with your database. This usually indicates that Roon was downgraded after installing a version that changed the database format"

Operating system:
Version 1.0 (build 254) production

Running 27 minutes, 27 seconds.

Roon server software:

Version 2.0 (build 1143) production

Running 23 minutes, 14 seconds.

Is this something I can fix, or do I need to start a fresh? Thanks.

You need to install the latest version on Roon Server on ROCK. Currently, B1182, which is likely what was installed on the Mac.

Once you’ve upgraded, the restore should work fine.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Migrating from imac to nuc10i3fnk 16gb ram, Samsung evo 250gb

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Hifi rose rs201e, tdai-1120

Number of Tracks in Library

8800 ish

Description of Issue

So, the NUC (10i3FNK) was set up with Rock and it seems to be working I could only find one download for Rock (this - roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz) I can access the web interface and it shows on my network, and I was able to add the codecs. I backed up fully to a Fat 32 formatted USB drive from my Mac, which I then transferred over to the front USB port on the NUC. I disconnected from my Mac and using my iPad, I disconnected from the Mac server and attempted to connect to the Rock and restore the backup from the log in page as per the guide. The backup restored OK and the Rock came back online, but when I try to log in, it says 'This version of Roon is not compatible with your database. This usually indicates that Roon was downgraded after installing a version that changed the database format"

Operating system:
Version 1.0 (build 254) production

Running 27 minutes, 27 seconds.

Roon server software:

Version 2.0 (build 1143) production

Running 23 minutes, 14 seconds.

Is this something I can fix, or do I need to start a fresh? Thanks.

P.S. I accidentally replied to my other thread with this same question, apologies. Please delete the other.

I assume your iMac was up to date when you created the backup? Then it will have been build 1182 or something like this, and the backup has that version.

The Roon Server version 2.0 (build 1143) production that you seem to have on the ROCK is not current. Probably the installer image is not getting updated all the time. Try to run an update of the ROCK first, before trying the restore from the backup. Through the Roon remote > Settings > About.

(With build 1148 they broke compatibility with older builds, here.)

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s actually 1182 when I look where you said. It’s still 1143 according the the web interface for the new nuc. I guess the 1182 that’s shown is for the mac? I am unable to log into the nuc from any device as it either freezes with the message I posted above, or says something about, uh oh, something isn’t right.

Edit: yes, the 1182 shown is for the Mac.

@User1234567890, I have merged these posts with your other thread. Please don’t open multiple support threads for the same issue. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m kinda confused, I downloaded what looked like the only version, I thought it would have been the latest version. So where can I get the latest version of rock then please?

You should have 1182 for Rock and this is what it should show in the remote. I have earlyaccess and hence 1180, but you get the idea:

Like I said, they may not be updating the installation image all the time. You have the right one. It’s just that after installing it should update to the latest version, currently 1182.

Please post a screenshot of your Roon > Settings > About

1 Like

No, it only shows my max in that view.

Please post a screenshot of your Roon > Settings > About :slight_smile:

1 Like

This Core is your iMac, the Rock is nowhere to be seen. Are both your iMac and the new Rock online and running?

Edit: I see it’s running from the web interface, but it needs to appear in the Roon settings so that you can switch to this as the Core and then update it from Settings > About.

1 Like

The ROCK image may not include the latest version off Roon Server. You need to update this from Roon Control Settings > About.

1 Like

Yeah but his Roon > Settings > About show the old iMac core and not the Rock, and hence the Rock can’t be updated. No idea yet why it is not appearing

1 Like

And therein lies the problem :slight_smile:

Thanks to you both, by the way, I appreciate the assistance.

2 Likes

I have never had to switch from one Core to the other, but my understanding is that if you start the Roon remote it should give you the option to deauthorize the old Core and connect to the new one.

Maybe turn off Roon on the iMac? I guess that’s still running?

1 Like