Nucleus cannot backup to USB drives

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
BT Home Hub

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Devialet 200

Description Of Issue
I have had the nucleus for about 3 months now. I back up to a usb stick in the back of the nucleus . This has worked flawlessly until now.

I have a daily back up set but it has now come to light that the last back up was done on 19th August.

I have tried to do a manual back up to the usb stick and I get an error message saying directory can’t be found.

I will try and add some photos to see if this helps.

@support
Sorry forgot to tag

Hi @Womaz,

Can you confirm how much free space is left on the backup drive?

Are you able to make a backup to a different location without issues?

1 Like

Hi Dylan
I will have to unplug the USB to check this.
However I set it to do a back up every day but to only keep 3 from what I recall. Surely this would not fill the USB stick?

Does this help ?

@support
Do I have to add this support tag to every reply ?

Hi @Womaz,

Thank you for confirming how much space is available.

If you make a backup to a different location does that work for you, or is this limited to just this USB drive?

Hi Dylan

Yes I have now managed to back up to a WD My Passport

I have plugged my USB stick into the lap top and I am unable to delete any of the Roon Back ups. I was going to delete them and start again.
I do a Windows scan of the USB stick to see what the issue is and it says the USB stick is write protected?

This has worked ok for about 3 months. The only issue i can recall is I had a power cut in the storms and I had to reset my Roon Core …not sure if any of this helps

So my usb stick has suddenly become write protected , I think this is the issue . I have no idea why this would happen or how to fix this if I can

Hi @Womaz — Thanks for the information, that definitely seems to be the problem here.

I would try reformatting this USB drive. Once it’s been reformatted hopefully you’ll be able to go back to using it without any issues.

Sorry but I am not that technical. Are there any guides to help me ?

Also why would this suddenly become write protected ?

Thanks for help so far

Hi @Womaz,

There are some instructions for doing this from a Windows 10 machine here.

This has come up before. The OP never got back on whether this helped, but here it is -

Consider this -

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys . The first method did not work .
Way too much hassle to fix this , all I want is to listen to music in my spare time. Not take up time with all of this nonsense :grinning:.

So yes simplest thing is to buy another usb drive . Annoying as this was only recently purchased solely to use with the nucleus

Anyone miss just sticking a CD in :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

OK on a serious note does anyone know why this has happened?
I have been reading a lot about file size names etc etc . I am pretty clueless about all of this. I dont want to keep spending £20 after £20 on a new USB stick if this keeps occurring.
As i said this USB stick is only a couple of months old and was bought exclusively to put in the back of my Nucleus and leave it there.

To avoid buying a new thumb drive try #7 in the article I referenced up above.

Yeah I gave tried this , but my USB stick takes forever to be recognised now . I am assuming that it is now well and truly b…d . A technical term :wink:

I am more interested in how this could have happened. I will order another one and hope it does not happen again.
I could back up to my lap top as its on my network I would guess but I am pretty clueless about how to do this. I liked the USB option as it sits in the back of the Nucleus and it backs up overnight

Make sure you have Network Discovery and File Sharing enabled on you Windows 10 PC.
Go to the folder you want to back up Roon to and right click on it and select Properties.
Go to the Sharing tab, and under Network Path select and copy the name. It might be something like “\\SCOTTS_PC\Users\scott\Roon_Backups” (you will only use the part between “\\SCOTTS_PC\Users” for the network path)
In Roon, go to Settings>Backups>Scheduled Backups and select “Add”
Go down to Backup Locations and select “Browse”.
On the bottom left column of Choose Folder to Backup To select “+ Add Network Share” at the bottom.
This brings up the Add Network Share screen.
Under Network Share Location paste the name of your Windows PC Folder you copied above. (e,g \\SCOTTS_PC\Users)
Enter your username and password for login. This needs to be a local login username, not your Microsoft Account username (AFAIK). Usually the Workgroup is left empty.
If all goes well, the network path to your Windows PC that will be added as a network share and will show up under the Choose Folder to Backup To screen. You can then select a folder under that network path to save to.

1 Like

Many thanks for the detailed reply.
I have already ordered another usb stick as this is the option I prefer .
However I have took a photo of your post and if the usb fails again I will have a go at setting this up. Once again thanks

You’re welcome. It’s something I needed to do on my own system anyway, so I thought I’d just write down the steps as I did them.
It REALLY doesn’t hurt to have a critical backup in a couple of places. You never feel that way until your system crashes and your primary backup has crapped out on you. The nice things about the Roon Backup system is you can set up multiple backups with different schedules. Only downside of backing up to your PC is it has to be awake when the backup happens.