Backups to USB or Network Share fails

I don’t use a Nucleus - BUT - I have a very similar situation. I have backup set to run daily, to another drive within my server.
The automatic backups run fine, as do manual ones to any server drives.
However, backups to USB and to a network fail. I’m unsure now of the error message when attempting to use the USB stick, but when it’s across the network I get ‘backup directory not available’.
There’s no general issue with either USB or network share, as, if I manually back the database up locally, and then copy the backup files to USB or network, the transfers work fine.
It’s a mild irritation rather than anything else, but it’s odd.

Mick

Hi @Michael_Curtis,

What Core are you using in this case? Can you please use this thread as a guide to provide more info regarding your setup?
I'm having a problem with Roon -- where do I report it?

No problem, Noris - info as follows:-

Hardware: Windows 10 v1909 on HP MicroServer N40L AMD Turion II 1.5GHz
Network: connected via Netgear GS105 - all GbE
Audio Hardware: Linn KDS
Library: 60k+ tracks
Currently if I run a manual backup the backup is around 5GB in size, with approximately 33k files.

Mick

Hi @Michael_Curtis,

Thanks for the additional info!

Can you clarify the exact location of these backups? Perhaps a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Backup tabs would be best.

And just to make sure I’m understanding your correctly here, automatic backups to these locations run as expected, but manual ones do not, is that correct?

Hi Noris
I’ve only ever run auto backups to a local directory within the server:-
Capture 2
The failures happen when I try manual backups to USB (D:) or network (Z:). Manual backups are fine to any local HDD within the server, and I’m able to successfully copy those backups to USB or network share.
Destination choices for backup:-

Mick

Hi @Michael_Curtis,

Thank you for the clarification, it is appreciated!

If you click on the shares in the left-hand side of your screenshot here, are they properly accessible from within Roon?

Also, what happens if you set up an automatic backup to the USB/Network Share, does the automatic backup fail as well?

Hi @noris
I don’t currently have the USB drive connected, but the network share is accessible.
I set up an extra automatic backup to the network share just now - it got a little over 20% of the way through then failed. However, the network share was again accessible from within Roon immediately afterwards:-

Thanks for your help so far
Mick

Hi @Michael_Curtis,

Thanks for those screenshots! It looks like the backup failed at 9:16 to the Z location, and I wonder if logs show any additional info. Can you please use these instructions to access your Core logs and upload a set to Dropbox / Google Drive / your preferred upload service and post a link here? Thanks!

Hi @noris

Logfiles here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwjvdzg41mqrop9/Michael_Curtis_Logs.zip?dl=0

Regards

Mick

Thanks for sending those log files over @Michael_Curtis, I have requested QA to review them and once I have further details, I’ll be sure to reach out once more, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Curtis,

I appreciate your patience until I have had a chance to consult further with QA regarding your case here.

They have been reviewing logs and it looks like there is a timeout when the Core is attempting to communicate directly with your Z: share.

QA has a few follow-up questions which can hopefully help clarify this issue further:

1. Do you have any other network shares except for the Z: location? Do locations to other networked PCs work as expected and Z: is the only affected on or are all network share locations experiencing the same issue?

2. A similar question as the above but for the USB share. Have you tried other USB drives? Do they exhibit the same issue as the original one you tried to use?

3. Can you provide some more information regarding your network? What is the model/manufacturer of the router and where is the Core/Network Share located? Are they both connected to the same GS105 switch you previously mentioned?

Hi @noris - I replied via email but will copy the email here:-

Hi Noris

I can answer a couple of your questions straight away:-

1. I only have the one network share as I just have one PC and the server on the network. I could add another share on the same PC to see how that works, but I’m not sure that’ll help.

2. I’ve not yet tried other USB drives. I will do so and get back to you in a day or so.

3. The router is an ISP provided one - a BT Smart Hub. Both PC and server are connected through the same GS105 unmanaged switch - the switch is also connected to a powerline plug to access the router which is two floors below. I’ve never had one of these switches go wrong, but I have a spare so I’ll try that just in case, and report back tomorrow.

Regards

Michael

1 Like

Thanks for the information @Michael_Curtis, do let me know how further testing goes!

Just so you’re aware, you can only reply via your Community post at this time, if you try to reply via email, the responses will not be delivered appropriately.

Hi @noris

Ok - an amount of progress! Looks like there may have been an issue with the USB thumbdrive, as after changing it as you suggested, all is now fine - in fact, I’ve successfully completed three backups to USB, using different thumbdrives and different ports each time - thank you for your help on that issue.

However, the network share problem persists. I’ve done the following:-

1. Changed nine-year-old switch and power supply for another GS105, one that is only a few months old
  2. Moved network ports on the PC to one on the motherboard, from a PCI card port
  3. Changed both network cables - PC to switch and server to switch
    I’m still getting the failures, although I get one of two different error messages:-
    Either - “error backing up database” or “Backup directory not available”

If there’re no further obvious things to try, that’s fine - I appreciate your help and can now, at least, schedule weekly backups to the USB drive.

Many thanks

Mick

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Curtis,

Glad to hear that the other USB drive has worked for you and that’s been resolved!

As for the network share location, there are no obvious suggestions that I can provide, we would have to take a closer look at logs and more importantly, verify if just the current PC is impacted by the issue or if others are as well.

If you don’t have the other PC, perhaps your BT Smart Hub supports adding a USB drive to it and exposing the drive as an SMB share:

1 Like

That’s a good idea - I’d not thought to try that port on the router. I shall see how that goes.

Scheduled backup to the USB drive was fine last night - I’m happy for this to be closed now.

Thanks again

Mick

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.