BBC Radio 3 issues

Interestingly my sonos speaker in the office has been running for about 16 hours on 6 music.

This morning I added the bedroom sonos to the group and 15 minutes latter it’s been fine, no clipping or cut outs.

One thing has changed in my setup.
I deleted Roon on my M1 Mac Mini and it’s running with Roon Server only installed.

I followed the process below, time will tell if this was the cure for me.

The new TP Link router costing £163 is on the way back to Amazon as it offered no improvements to my network and wi-fi was actually slower with weaker signal strength, my sonos network is back to 3 wired and 2 surrounds wireless and 2 sonos ones wireless on sonosnet.

Hi @Phil_Ryan, great to hear it’s working for you now. I run roon from i NUC with Roon Rock on it. I read the FAQ you posted. In my opinion Roon Rock is also headless. Unfortunately NPO Radio 1 (Dutch Radio) still stops playing after some time (it will play for at least 30 minutes). When it stops playing, i open the Roon App in my Iphone 12 and at the bottom of the screen i get a message, Roon lost control of the device.

Hope this info will help @support in solving this issue for everybody.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

Spoke too soon, went out for an hour and it stopped playing, but it had a good run and has been fine since.

I also get lost control of the device in the logs and a popup on the screen if I happen to catch it.

It stopped playing again, back to square one.

Lovely city, had my best ever meal there and it wasn’t bouillabaisse. A lamb tagine with couscous. Anyway, I digress…

1 Like

I just wanted to let you all know that we’re still working on this and trying to determine why some of you are having problems streaming BBC radio. Many of our employees in the UK are able to stream those stations without any issues. We’re not sure of the cause for these issues but we’re actively investigating. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we get this figured out.

@jamie We had issues here in service with some BBC stations and @dylan spent some time looking at logs and trying to work out what was going on. Was a long ongoing situation. It was resolved by our IT guys giving me two completely open static IP addresses that had no port restrictions, and were bypassing our Watchdog system. All BBC streams have been absolutely rock solid since then.

1 Like

Does your Nucleus have a static IP or the router ? Interesting that when I moved to a static IP with all ports open, everything resolved itself as well.

Hi @David_Brown,

I’m not a super techinal person, but would like to try if a static ip address for my Roon Rock will solve my live radio problem with a Dutch station (NPO Radio 1). Is there some kind of instruction how to implement this?

Thx in advance.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

Setting a static IP is extremely unlikely to resolve it.

More likely is that being a business they have a firewall and assigning a static IP and an allow all rule on the firewall has resolved a different issue that was mistaken for this one.

90% of home users will have routers that allow all outbound connections and stateful inbound connections.

I suspect you mean Watchguard.

I like to call it Watchdog :wink: Bypassing “watchguard” did resolve another issue with we were having, but that was to do with incoming stuff from Roon HQ.

Like I said, I moved the IP to static, and our IT guys opened all ports on that IP and since then it’s been fine. If I move any Nucleus/Nucleus+ back to DHCP it starts dropping BBC stations at random points in the day. I’m pretty sure any info here at this point may help. As you mention, probably not the fact that it’s on a Static IP, but more to do with it being an unfettered IP address.

but it won’t have any use to 90% of home users who will be using an ISP modem/router

(and once again gives credence to Roon blaming the users network)

I do apologise for trying to help.

3 Likes

For a business environment that is a really bad idea.

I don’t understand it fully, but they’re not connected to the rest of the corporate network. On a subnet ? They appear to know what they are doing, or at least I hope they would looking at their client list.
And anyway, this isn’t helping and is less useful than my post about static IPs.

I gave my NUC (I don’t have a Nucleus) a reserved IP address in the router’s setup. No changes to firewall or ports.

The reason for doing this was firstly to see if it fixed a connection problem with my Android phone and secondly to be able to use a different DNS to the one Sky assigned me.

But, importantly, I have never had any problems streaming BBC Radio before or after the router swap and settings changes. I offered my experience as a data point for Roon techs and other users.

I have a suspicion that in my case (6Music to Sonos endpoints) it was a buffering issue.

If I tail the roonserver log the stream drops when the buffer 100% message appears.

03/25 20:00:46 Trace: [Lounge] [LowQuality, 24/48 AAC => 24/48] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 3:21] Beastie Boys - Root Down

Weird.

I can connect a Nucleus here at work, on our network, over DHCP and it shows the issue. I can take that very same Nucleus home and connect it there (ISP Virgin Media) and it’s absolutely fine and plays all weekend.

1 Like

Having had stability issues for ages with Roon Radio and BBC streams, I decided to configure my Rock (on a NUC) with a fixed IP address and set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 rather than my router Gateway IP address.

I have now been streaming BBC R2 320 AAC without dropouts for over 4 days (>96 hours and counting…) without problem.

I cannot explain why this should work, but it has for me.

1 Like

Hi all, Build 931 included a fix for an issue adding HLS streams to Roon (which BBC uses). Since that issue could in some ways be related to the dropouts discussed in this thread, I wanted to check in to check if everyone is seeing the same behavior in Build 931. Let me know!