BBC Radio 3 issues

@Kevin Tried again today
BBC 6 Music cut off
BBC Radio 2 cut off
Radio Paridise works fine.

Have you identified anything we have not seen any feedback since your post 12 days ago @Danny ???

More logs from the event uploaded to server ‘bbc logs - Phil ryan.rtf’.

Once again switching to Sonos as the control results in perfect playback with no cutouts.

Thanks for uploading logs @Phil_Ryan & @Margaret_Charlton, no conclusions just yet but I will keep you in the loop. We did make some server-side changes to live radio two days ago, have you had any hiccups in the last 24 hours?

Not used it, will give it ago in the morning.

1 Like

I’ll start BBC Radio 3 now (22.00 UK time) and see if it’s running in the morning.

Hmm. First dropout took 3 minutes…

And again, 10 minutes later. Meanwhile, my Amazon Echo devices carry on smoothly…

Out of interest, what happens if you turn off (completely turn off) all of your Echo devices?

Hi Joel - that made no difference. However, there may be other issues with my Internet connection. I have an engineer coming tomorrow.

At the moment it’s okay. I’ve also changed my endpoint to a Chromecast audio. Radio 3 has now been running fine for ten minutes. I’ll report back.

Margaret.

1 Like

I’ve been playing BBC Radio 3 for 7 hours without interruption. I had issues some days ago but I understand Roon was working on back end changes at the time.

Is your Roon Core connected via WIFI or hardwired ? I have a secondary Roon Server on my laptop connected with WiFi, and it can be unstable when streaming some Live Radios.

Mine is all wired, I can stream Tidal to the same speakers and its fine, using Sonos is fine, other radio stations seem fine its just the BBC ones that seem mainly affected.

@Joel @kevin Mine currently is not chopping off, but stops playing after 30-40 mins even though I have no timer set and my Mac is set for the hard drive not to sleep.

@kevin
I suspect that the pbs are caused by AAC streams and not MP3 streams. BBC decided to go for “HLS” technology for AAC stream, which is not rare but uncommon. Audio players should of course support this but maybe Roon has become more sensitive to it recently…
@Margaret_Charlton do you have dropouts if you select a BBC MP3 stream to play?

I get dropouts no matter which BBC stream is selected, however if I try radio Paradise as @Margaret_Charlton suggested then its fine, this seems to be a flac stream.

Not sure if Roon have a requirement or ability to convert to flac to obtain good streaming.

1 Like

It happens on all streams, as Phil says. Nothing to do with it. The problem is with Roon and Roon alone.

My 6 Music played this morning without random interruptions but stopped playing after a period which I guess is due to this thread.

Can you try this relay stream "MP3 129kbps"I have just added and check if there are still dropouts?
Sorry I am not in the UK so can’t relay AAC 320kbps as it’s geofenced.

Testing now

Hi Alec

That’s been streaming fine for me, can that be replicated for BBC 6 Music that I can test during the week?

I’ve just reactivated the 129kbps ‘relayed’ stream for BBC 6 Music.

Very frustrating for you.
I’m based in Surrey and the BBC Radio 3 320 feed is absolutely fine. It’s been solid for months and recently has shown the meta-data.
I have a basic Virgin Media router connected to several passive routers across the property. At every Roon endpoint, Radio 3 works perfectly.
I can only think it is a networking issue - either to your property or within it.
Annoying, but I’m not sure it’s a Roon ONLY issue.