BBC Radio 3 issues

I’m wondering whether it could be something to do with other devices or software application in use in the affected home networks. I wonder whether it would be worth giving the details of what’s there. There must be some common factor here that’s at the root of this issue…

Hi Tim - we had the OpenReach engineer here today and he did find a lot of interference on the line. After replacing various things he declared himself happy. I’ve now had Radio 3 running all day without a hitch. But, if it was the line quality, why has Qobuz, even at 192/24, never caused the same issue? Radio 3’s bitrate is massively lower. And why doesn’t BBC Sounds, on Windows or Android, ever randomly stop? It’s mystifying - and my limited powers of deduction still conclude it must, somehow, be Roon-specific.

@Geoff_Coupe The only common issue I can see on my home network is how Roon stream the BBC live radio.
All BBC stations in this format can cut off. If using multiple speakers they may not cut off at the same time.
Switch to say radio paradise and its fine.
Switch to tidal streaming and its fine.
Switch to using Sonos and its fine.

So the only problem child is Roon and it looks like they need to investigate how they transport these formats over the network.
As as indicated on the other thread if radio cuts off Roon has no method to make a reconnection.
Although I understand people have network issues but Roon should not require people to investigate network issues to the nth degree especially as others services and products in the same local network work without issues.

The point is that it only seems to be happening to a small group. The majority of us are playing BBC stations with live radio without any issue - so what’s going on? More data is needed if Roon Labs has a chance to diagnose this. For example, look at the Tidal streaming issue, and this post:

Possibly - maybe the way it buffers the data? Who knows :joy:
I hope it keeps working for you - I could NEVER be without Radio 3!

I think i’ve given Roon 4 or 5 sets of logs, The two new streams seem to be working for me, but I don’t know technically whats different. It also does not seem to matter if i’m using wi-fi or ethernet, i also use two mesh discs, but both are ethernet connected so the only wi-fi is speaker to disc ethernet backhaul to the router, I stream lots of TV from various sources and just don’t have any issues, this does not seem something I can resolve.

Which streams are those, Phil? As I said above, the 320 AAC has been solid me for me today but I have zero clue if that’s because of the engineer visit or because the devs have done something - or sheer coincidence. I’ll set the 320 stream running when I go to bed and see if it’s there in the morning. I’ve had this issue ever since I came to Roon, even when everything was cabled.

Alec set two up which are above, they both seem to be working fine for me with many hours playing, I only tend to use 6 music and will try these as default.

@alec_eiffel Could you also add BBC Radio 2 for testing?

Many Thanks

i put 6music on about 9:45 uk time and got intermittent blips every few seconds, however changed to a tidal playlist and it was perfect.

I wonder if Roon runs any procedures on servers early in the morning if they are in the US that can affect UK morning streaming?

So it settled down and then at 10:50 just stopped and had to be restarted.

I’m listening to BBC 6 Music, Cerys Mathews show, perfect for a Sunday morning, with no problems at all.
I am in the Uk and the Show/Track data is working well. FYI

The AAC 320 stream. Thanks Joel…

It is really important to report which stream

1 Like

I was using this one and it also just stopped playing

Is radio on one server or could we be connecting to different servers with one having an issue?

This is likely. No idea why you are using a French server. The BBC has “official” streams for UK and non-UK.

If you are in the UK, try:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_6music.m3u8

If you are not in the UK, try one of the bottom two AAC ones here:

@BrianW Why do we have a radio-metadata.fr URL here?

1 Like

We tried the french server from the post by @alec_eiffel above…

The French server is a relay of BBC servers.
I set it up in the past for the injection of metadata, but now it’s implemented in Roon backend so no more need. I reactivated tor testing.

As it stands today, I am quite sure that the dropouts are not caused by “faulty” BBC Servers but because of the users Roon Cores stopping streaming for some reasons.

EDIT: my Icecast relay has been streaming without a glitch since the first connexions in the morning

Roon needs to pay attention to the instabilities in Live Radio streaming - other audio players get it right.

1 Like

Stopped playing again

Same stream stopped playing again, at this point this element of Roon is not fit for purpose for me I’ll have to return to using Sonos.

Please advise when a fix is in place and I’ll retry, logs for today have been uploaded to the server for review if required.
Roon_log_Phil_Ryan_BBC_Radio_Issue.txt

1 Like

Just keeping this alive. Radio 3 high quality signal not working. Dropping out every five minutes or so. Using AAC connection no problem. TBH, I don’t think that Roon makes radio any kind of priority at all. At least, the attitude is that it’s our problem not theirs, when all other sources of the same station work without any problems. v. disappointed.

Annoying, isn’t it? I now cast from BBC Sounds on my phone to a Chromecast audio - optical out - DAC. Listening to a long piece on R3 is torture via Roon.

R3 on BBC Sounds is 320 AAC (most of the time).