BBC Radio 3 issues

Tried again on this stream, sound cuts in and out, Sonos playback is fine.

Iā€™ll confirm similar issues listening to BBC 5 and BBC 3 via Roon Live Radio across 3 different endpoints, 2x Chromecast and one RPi with Roon Bridge. I first noticed it on Saturday and itā€™s been present last two days since. Seems pretty persistent.

Hey Margaret, from your earlier posts it sounded like the engineer had resolved things for you. Are you saying that youā€™re running into problems again?

Weā€™re continuing to look for patterns in the data we have so far and will update everyone as soon as we can. :pray:

Hello, Kevin. Things have improved massively since the engineer visited. The stream has stopped once or twice (during the night) but, right now, Iā€™m tentatively hopeful.
Best,
Margaret.

Iā€™m still getting cuts offs first thing in the morning, and during the day it just stops playing as others have indicated.

Thatā€™s amazing news!! Do you have an idea of what the engineer did? It would be helpful to others here who might be having the same problem.

@Phil_Ryan The team had a look at your logs and we need to remove some variables for troubleshooting purposes, itā€™s just not clear whatā€™s going on. Right now your logs show playback happening successfully and the zone being stopped manually. I know thatā€™s not what youā€™re describing though, so can you help us by doing the following?

• Use system output only ā€“ no Sonos endpoints or grouped zones, just keep it simple for now
  • Play the default BBC 6 stream, not a ā€œnonukā€ stream as detailed in Joelā€™s post here
  • When you hear a dropout, note the current time and let me know

After you do that, Iā€™ll request logs from your machine and take another look!

1 Like

In UK Time at about 08:46.
I started BBC 6 music on my Roon core M1 mac mini it played fine, for some reason first thing in the morning is worse for me, this is why i questioned if Roon performed housekeeping on its servers in the at night.

So.
6 music on core is fine.
Transfer to Sonos it cuts in and out.
Transfer to core and its fine.

Now I have radio on the core but I also have Tidal playing on the Sonos at the same time and itā€™s fineā€¦

So my question is on the transport of radio from core to endpoints what does roon do differently to radio that causes cut offs where as streamed content is fine?

At 09:58 I had Tidal streaming playing fine on my bedroom sonos , transferred 6 music to the bedroom and it cuts in and out every few seconds.

At this point i went down the list of streams starting at the default and they all cut in and out.

At 10:14 i couldnā€™t stand the cutting out anymore and swapped to Tidal and itā€™s fine, also the wife is streaming tennis to her ipad and itā€™s fine, we get about 69mps so bandwidth is not an issue, the cut offs happen if i use my wi-fi network or if i put ethernet into the sonos speakers to force them to use sonosnet.

Hi Kevin,
I know what mechanical things he did but not, if any, adjustments he made as regards to line settings etc. Anyway, our service is FTTC (we should have FTTP soon), and the cabinet is a mile from our house. The engineer replaced the old and obsolete connector box in the house and then he replaced a junction box outside, which was old, full of water and corroded inside. The electrical interference was causing ā€œhundredsā€ of small errors and the line speed had dropped by 30% as a result. It was still plenty fast enough for music and HD video streaming, I should say - but it was unstable.
As Iā€™ve said, BBC radio on Roon has been far less interrupted since his visit but the curiosity remains as to why it was (and still is, for others) the radio streams on Roon alone that suffer the glitch.

And itā€™s now 10:32.
I have Tidal streaming in the bedroom, 6 music on the core, wife watching tennis on ipad in the kitchen and everything is working fine, not a single cutout itā€™s perfect.

Hi, BBC 6 has just stopped playing a minute ago - Iā€™ve created a log file close to when it stopped.

Still on the same system as before - Roon Core on my laptop, playing BBC 6 via Roon Ready B&W Wedge, grouped with a bluetooth speaker ā€œLittle Shelfordā€.

Laptop was active and not sleeping, no internet drop.

Let me know where I can post the log file.

I had several stops on BBC 6 Music earlier today and just now on BBC Radio 2 320 aac stream.
Just an FYI

The log link is higher in the threadā€¦ Iā€™ve been naming mine with issue_name_date
They also want to know which stream and date and time.

Any idea of the root cause/why these BBC radio streams continually drop? I have no issues with other live radio feeds? It seems specific to Roon, as same urls will play ok on other services (eg. minim stream)ā€¦

@kevin Whatā€™s the update on this its been 14 days since you last responded, Iā€™m guessing its lost in the sheer amount of posts in the support section.

Iā€™m not far from my subscription ending and a resolution is required to progress further, in the meantime iā€™m using Tidal Connect and Sonos.

Hi Phil. I know how you feel. Iā€™m growing ever more disenchanted with Roon, and concerned about the way Iā€™ve committed my ā€œmusic lifeā€ to this software. My hunch (and, of course, itā€™s only a hunch) is that their financial model isnā€™t holding up and that there is much firefighting going on behind the scenes, on far too small a budget. The tech support is lamentable and I suspect itā€™s because they canā€™t find (ie: pay for) enough high-calibre staff.

At its core, Roon is a piece of networking software, and I constantly find that function poor in comparison with other services. I can sit here in my AV room and wirelessly stream HD video from Netflix, etc, or HD music all day and night from Qobuz or Amazon, without a hitch. But to make Roon work reasonably glitch-free Iā€™ve had to connect my Roon core and my (single!) endpoint with Ethernet cable. For whatever reason, Roonā€™s networking code just seems overly ā€œpickyā€, for want of a better word.

Iā€™d love to be proven wrong but Iā€™ll be very surprised if Roon is still around in its current form in two yearsā€™ time.

1 Like

Weā€™re releasing an update next week that we expect will fix some of the issues with the BBC Radio streams, but Iā€™m hesitant to proclaim victory just yet. Iā€™ll check in with everyone after the release next week and see where we land. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The build has been released!

@Phil_Ryan Can you take the update and let me know if youā€™re still having trouble?

Thanks Kevin, Iā€™ll start testing tomorrow.

1 Like

I left this playing on 6 Music tonight on a Sonos and both times I checked the stream had stopped playing I think after 30-40 mins.

No change for me this morning, all of the 6 music streams have clipping and cut offs, if I change to the Radio Paradise which is marked as a FLAC stream its OK.

My Sonos system continues to play without issue.