Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

What’s there to ‘like’ or dislike about a power supply if you didn’t make the switch with SQ in mind beforehand and it didn’t make any difference in sound either afterwards? Just curious.

Esthetics mainly. I’d rather have a unit that looks like the rest of the equipment than another wall wart plugged into the power bar. On my system, they’re visible. Many people have these things hidden away so it’s no big deal. Mine are not.

3 Likes

I experienced pretty much the same results when I added a Teddy Pardo power supply to my Nucleus.

3 Likes

This is only relevant if you connect audio devices directly to your Nucleus. Else it will be waste of money (send your money to me if you have too much :))

2 Likes

I am not technical but when Danny said that Roon was – at one time – considering development of an upgraded power supply for the Nucleus product line, that tells me the Roon team believes such a supply would be beneficial. 'Nuff said.

1 Like

or it could mean we believe such a supply would be profitable… I’m not saying one way or the other, but I wouldn’t consider my past words to be an endorsement of power supplies.

But yes, even if our position was that some type of power supply was the best thing to happen to audio since the start of time, we would still agree with @Tor_Gunnar_Berland’s position:

9 Likes

Only agreeing with my view, not sending all your money to me? :innocent:

Shocking! :wink:

I’m not sure linear power supply got any value at all, but I’m 100% sure it got zero value if you are not connecting DAC directly to the Nucleus.

3 Likes

I purchased a Keces P8 to power my Roon Nucleus +(19V) attached to a Furman IT Reference 15I.
Improved the sound to the point of blind testing with supplied wall wart with my wife who also could hear the difference with the P8.
Curious about the Pardo as that slipped by me in tea searching a LPS for the nucleus +.

1 Like

Excellent LMPS here where there are 4 outputs with two of them adjustable!

4 Likes

Let me see if I understand this. Are you guys saying that an LPS, if it improves SQ at all, would do so only if connected directly to a DAC via USB cable rather than used for streaming over the network?

That is 100% guaranteed. If this was not the case, the entire internet as we know it would not work.

High quality powersupply (LPS or any other type) will only have a potential effect if devices are connected directly to the core via USB or HDMI. All other thoughts are a completely waste of money (send them to me if you don’t know what to spend your money on).

Besides; I don’t think Roon skipped LPS for the Nucleus/Nucleus+ as an accident :wink:

The Roon Ready endpoints are in fact computers with buffer (the endpoint requests data over network from the Core - if this did not work you would get defects on your webpages, e-mails etc because of transmission). Traffic goes over ethernet (or wifi), this system is bulletproof, and if one package is destroyed - it will be resent. Yes, one potential candidate is noise over the ethernet cable from router/switch, but the ethernet system is actually scaled to handle these things as well.

When testing on my Roon ready endpoints by pulling out the ethernet cable from the endpoint, it continues to play for 2-5 seconds. Do you think timing or noise over ethernet is relevant? I don’t think so - just try deattaching the ethernet cable, can you hear a difference ?

1 Like

This point should put a halt to so many computer audiophile musings…

Not completely… because audio over USB is not bulletproof. If you loose a sample it is gone. In fact over USB you have SPDIF deep down which is not created as smart as ethernet (or wifi). Main problem with USB is actually noise coming from computer over to the DAC (there are power-cables inside the USB cable), and of course drifting clocks.

Coaxial SPDIF or AES/EBU cables can create problems if they are not according to specifications (that is why you should not use a standard RCA cable as coaxial SPDIF).

Edit:
Besides, high quality DACs are seeing all other external devices as “idiots”; they don’t trust them to do the right stuff - hence they correct and expect the worst. High quality DAC does not mean high price by the way (but it is more common for high priced DACs to do this the right way, but no guarantee) :slight_smile:

For my HP-setup I use Matrix Audio Element X. Built upon the reference design of EES9038 Pro with a high quality linear power supply (which is important for a DAC). When I’m not using the USB; it actually turns it off internally to avoid noise. Using the built in Roon Ready endpoint in the Element X leaves me avoiding all problems with SPDIF, USB etc - and it sounds fantastic :slight_smile: Sound just as fantastic from a “noisy” iMac as core, or Nucleus+ or ROCK (I have tried them all) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Narrator: But it did not…

2 Likes

Thanks for the extra thoughts. I use a decent TOS optical in most of my playback chains for some of those reasons. Will take galvanic isolation where I can get it.

1 Like

Yeah, been there, mellowed out.

1 Like

Spend money on high quality cables built according to specifications is my best suggestion not priced completely off the charts. Use ethernet (or wifi) when possible - ethernet (don’t buy CAT11 hifi-bling-bling-deluxe cable for 25.000 USD!!! hifi ethernet cable is the biggest scam in history… just don’t support this voodoo business)

The guys at Cisco is laughing their ass off regarding these products :wink: (I actually know several of the DAC and surround processor creators are doing the same).

So if I understand your system, you have a router to NUC/Nucleus. Then the Matrix Audio Element X signal input with ethernet, correct? Then you use balanced or unbalanced analog interconnects to your pre or integrated, right? And you do this to avoid noise from SPDIF or USB?

I have a straight wired ethernet connection to the Nucleus (with an SBooster LPS), then an Audioquest Jitterbug to USB A and then USB B into my Preamp with integrated DAC which has no ethernet connection. This seems to be a more simple solution and sounds very good to me.

Edit: My preamp has an IEC connection which is plugged into a Chang Lightspeed line conditioner.
Edit2: The USB cable I’m using is a Morrow Audio Ref USB. They do not disclose their recipe but it is working very well and not very expensive ($115 after discount).