Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

Thx
Ive upgraded most of my power cords and havent heard a difference so i was dubious re: this guys claims

The power supply you got with the Nucleus is absolutely fine mate. Donā€™t spend another moment thinking other wise.

6 Likes

ā€¦ which was to be expected ā€¦

3 Likes

Save your money; original power supply (and cable) is fine - people claiming that they hear a difference will never be able to tell which one of the power supplies are currently being used - if they donā€™t already know. Do the same test with cables; ā€œmagicallyā€ it will give the same result :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Agreeā€¦rip on the nucleus supply and then recommend a $7000 power supply
He said ā€œeven a deaf person could hear the differenceā€

1 Like

Exactly, because deaf people can also hear if they pour snake oil into their ears. :smiley:
I am very happy with my Nucleus and its original power supply.

Keep listening and enjoy the music!

2 Likes

I donā€™t normally comment on cables/power supplies/switches etc. as, at the end of the day, people pay their money and make their choices. In this case though, it sounds like youā€™re on a budget and wanting advice. Like others have said, donā€™t spend your hard earned cash on a power supply. Ignore the videos, enjoy the music and spend the money on family/friends/pets/charities or copious quantities of alcohol. :grinning:

7 Likes

I donā€™t usually comment on this either and I also own a few cables myself that my system certainly wouldnā€™t have needed - but I couldnā€™t resist. Please, no one should take this amiss. :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Thereā€™s no benefit in adding a fancy linear supply to a computer. A computer has internal switching supplies to derive the lower supply voltages needed for the various components.

People who peddle this kind of snake oil generally have little understanding of how these things work.

4 Likes

Itā€™s this kind of marketing speak that riles me a little, and Iā€™m not easily riled. Words should be chosen carefully and these obviously arenā€™t chosen to convey anything but a little ā€œpeer pressureā€ to viewers. The obvious follow up should be a blind test that anyone will be able to pass with 100% success and certainly the presumably ā€œgolden earedā€ reviewer.

3 Likes

This is one of the reasons why measurements are so important. If you canā€™t measure the effect of a power supply change at the audio output of a device, then it doesnā€™t add any benefit.

Some power supply changes have been known to make matters worse.

Power supply design is not trivial. I honestly canā€™t think why a manufacturer would purposely choose a power supply which limits the capability of one of itā€™s hi-fi components, excepting of course those who specifically sell ā€˜upgradedā€™ power supplies as later add-ons to already pricey gear (e.g. Naim)

4 Likes

Iā€™ve commented on this before, but to reiterate, Iā€™ve got an HDPlex LPS powering my Nucleus and DAC. I couldnā€™t hear a difference. If youā€™re buying an LPS expecting an improvement in sound quality, donā€™t. If youā€™re buying it for other reasons, the HDPlex is quite nice.

2 Likes

Are there any other reasons someone would choose to spend extra money on a LPS? Bigger, heavier, less efficient than a SMPS. No guarantee of greater longevity.

Thereā€™s a deeply entrenched belief in the audio world that a LPS is somehow ā€œbetterā€ than a SMPS. Itā€™s 2022 - thatā€™s simply not true anymore. There are many audio devices achieving state of the art performance and audible transparency with SMPS powering them. In fact, there are many reasons not to choose LPS - magnetic coupling of 50/100 Hz or 60/120Hz hum into the audio chain being one of them. Voltage ripple at the twice the mains frequency too. With SMPS, the switching frequency puts the noise well above the audio frequency band.

Wound transformers can hum, toroids especially will suffer from core saturation and hum if the mains is not completely symmetrical:

3 Likes

Iā€™m looking for a LPS. The SMP supplied with the Nucleus+ is very noisyā€¦ especially when not under load i.e. Nucleus+ powered off. I can hear it across the room with its high pitched oscillation noise. I was surprised at how cheaply made it is considering the price of the Nucleus. Most cheap Chinese SMP power adapters are pretty goodā€¦ but this one is awful. The DC cable length too is pretty random.

I want an LPS that doesnā€™t have loads of branding all over the front of it and looks close to OEM as possible (or at least discrete/blends in). DC3 might be the oneā€¦ Many moons ago, I heard Roon were making their own but that idea seemed to disappear. Would have been nice to have a smaller but maybe higher case that matches the existing Roon case design. I think they missed a trick with this one.

1 Like

Sounds like some poor QC, me, Iā€™d send the power supply back to Roon or walk into my dealer and say new one please. I have always had decent results with any of the Amazon Basics power supplies for my electronics.

1 Like

Hereā€™s some reading and even measurements of what a crappy quality SMPS can do in your setup:

For something like Nucleus Iā€™d probably select a good quality medical grade SMPS by Mean-Well or similar respected manufacturer. I use Mean-Well SMPS for my QNAP NAS.

Buy version with Talema and LT3045.

Purchase DC cable from Ghent Audio with JSSG360.
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

I have used a 12 volt linear power supply on my Roon Nucleus Plus and found the result sounded quite poor. Sounded more detailed at the expense of midrange and bass. Orchestral textures were washed out. The standard 19v switching power supply was far better.

12 volt supply? My cheap Chinese 19 volt LPS sounds better than stock when I use the NUCā€™s HDMI for multichannel.

1 Like

But thatā€™s a DAC with an analogue output. The Nucleus is a networked device, unless youā€™re going to connect a DAC to it via USB. Power supply quality is of no real significance so long as it meets the required voltage/current spec.