Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

My NUC have a 5.5/2.5mm connector so I would asume a Nucleus is the same.

1 Like

I just ordered a couple of theseā€¦one stand alone for an existing PC setup and to power my NUC and another for powering some RPi units other devices plus a new PC for use as a ripper. Not shipping yet but will do this month. not cheap but well made I think.

2 Likes

I ordered a Nucleus last weekend, canā€™t wait to get it. I just have a simple question, is the power connection on the Nucleus 5.5mm x 2.5mm? Iā€™ll consider to buy a LPS as well.
Please advice.

Yes, that is correct, 5.5mm x 2.5 mm.

Tonight I used a DC cable terminated with 5.5mm x 2.5mm when setting up my Nucleus that just arrived.

Using Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR UltraCapacitor Power Supply.

1 Like

Just got my HDPLEX 200W. This is an excellent unit and especially great if you want to power a nucleus / nucleus+ and additional devices.

1 Like

Is there an audible difference between the hdplex and the power brick?

After introducing the Trinnov Altitude32 to my system; I have hidden away the Nucleus+ in a different room, so no need to fancy linear power supply anymore. I think it is important for everyone to know that the Nucleus with linear power supply only gives any potential benefit if you connect the DAC directly to the Nucleus. Adding this to a standalone Nucleus with only network cable attached (and power of course) is in reality a waste of money.

Just a warning :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi use a NUC7i7bhn (ssd/8gig ram)to run core and dsp ā€¦ this runs well on a linear psu rated at 15v@2.8a. NUC is almost silent - I donā€™t think core and dsp are stressing it much. PSU is luke warm and stable.

FYI only. Yet another LPS from Keces (P8 for Nucleus+):
https://www.audioshark.org/computer-digital-audio-11/keces-power-supplies-15846.html

1 Like

The Keces LPS for the Roon Nucleus is $600. :slight_smile:
Teddy Pardo is excellent, compact as nucleus (not tank :wink: ) and proved decision and cheaper.

4 Likes

Just installed the Keces P8 in my system. One input is feeding a Nucleus and the other a switch. Immediate improvement in musicality of my system. Plus, the distributor tells me that the capacitors require about 50 hours to break in, so more goodness to comeā€¦

2 Likes

This calls out for a double-blind test!

4 Likes

Sure does!

1 Like

I replaced my stock Nucleus power supply with a Teddy Pardo 19V/3.5A linear power supply. Seems to be very well made, and to my ears it provided a worthwhile increase in sound quality in my system (my Nucleus is feeding directly into a Bryston BDA-3 DAC via a one meter USB cable).

3 Likes

Back in 2014, a fellow on an Australian hi-fi forum posted his tests (link here) regarding wall warts, battery supplies, Teddy Pardo and Keces. The latter two came out on top, with the following comments:

1. Teddy Pardo ($480 i think?): I really wanted to see what the hype of these where all about. The tonal character of this seemed to be slightly mellower and slower than the AMB at first but this seemed to be because of a lower noise floor than the AMB. The Pardo had greater detail and soundstage than the others so far. The ears didnā€™t have to work as hard as the others to hear the same detail with this one. Score 9/10

2. Keces DC-116 ($280) : This beast was 3amp rated to each of its dual outputs. This just had more of everything. It was nice and quick and produced a very low noise floor. Playing the Pardo and this side by side proved interesting. Whilst the Pardo is brilliant in itself this was justā€¦better. Playing an track with oboe was enjoyable on the Pardo. With the Keces 116 the oboe just seemed to have a bit more meat to it. It seemed to produce all those lovely harmonics which made the music more realistic. Again with music with bells, chimes or snares it was just more with the Keces and was more realistic. It makes me sad to say it but after the Keces was used, we went back to the AMB diy job and straight away I wanted the Keces turned on again. Score 9.75/10 (nothing can be perfect).

Again, that was 2014 and itā€™s one personā€™s opinion. I have been happy to date with my Keces P8, feeding both my Netgear GS108 switch and Roon Nucleus.

1 Like

FYI (although this is not really with Nucleus):
https://www.audioshark.org/computer-digital-audio-11/sbooster-vs-keces-ps-16167.html

Several posts below also refer to a star quad DC cable.

Disclaimer: We have no relationship with either.

1 Like

The Teddy Pardo 19V/3.5A power supply is $414, with an additional $36 for shipping from Israel to San Diego, California. So for me, it was $450 total. It arrived 6 days after ordering, which I thought was pretty good service. I have no regrets about getting it. I justified going with a linear power supply as my Nucleus is directly connected to my DAC via USB.

What I noticed most after installing the Teddy Pardo power supply was a more 3-dimensional image. The image seemed to sound flat (or 2-dimensional) to me with the stock wall wart. I imagine the results obtained will probably be different for everyone, depending upon the associated equipment (DAC, USB cable, etc.). I used a one meter length of Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable to connect the Nucleus to my Bryston BDA-3 DAC.

Teddy Pardo notes that a week is required to burn in the capacitors and that the sound will continue to improve over the period of a month. I know, it sounds like voodoo (I have no technical explanation for it) but I did indeed find the sound to improve with use.

2 Likes

I love all this burn in talkā€¦so at what point do the tables turn thenā€¦when does burn in stop and burn out start?

4 Likes

Power supplies will start to lose quality when their capacitors start drying outā€¦ When that will be depends on the quality of the capacitors, but it should be a decade or more.

Iā€™ve forgotten more about capacitors than most will ever know in a lifetime. I have replaced enough of them to repair dead gear over the 40+ years of my repairing hifi gear tooā€¦my point is that in fact they basically start to deteriorate (granted its a long and slow decline) once they are being used and that burn out is not something anyone ever talks about - they donā€™t just keep getting better and better.

2 Likes