Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

Thomas, one thing I forgot to mention is that Teddy Pardo doesn’t include an AC power cord with their power supply. It has a standard IEC socket so you can use whatever you want. I used a Shunyata Venom 14 on mine. Here’s what Teddy Pardo has to say about power cords:

“Thanks to the high effectiveness of our regulators in noise filtering our products are usually less sensitive to power cords. In most cases simple cords can be used. Some people reported improvements while using high quality power cords, while others reported absolutely no effect. Results may vary according to the rest of your system, so our recommendation is to experiment.”

Thanks for the information. I have a few good quality power cords that I can use in my closet where I keep my extra AV parts.
If you need any old HDMI, S-Video, component or composite cables let me know. Every time they change the standards my closet gets fuller and my bank acct shrinks.

You want to make sure that the SSD, mobo and USB card have separate rails from the power supply if possible. I also have the HDPLEX which can do this.

This begins to get into the sort of territory I begin to find quite hard to justify objectively. But I have a mobo without an M2 slot and I have my HDPlex powering the mobo, SSD and PCIe card independently. I can’t quantify the improvement, not least because I don’t have the means to. But I would invite people to listen to the difference over everything powered via a smps into the motherboard.

We sell a 50W 12v supply for the sonicTransporter i5 or CDR. It also works very well on the Nucleus or Nucleus+.

The noise floor is very low and comparable to much more expensive supplies. And it comes with the correct power cable for the Nucleus.

I just get KECES P8 and my configuration is:

19V/4A: Roon Nucleus as Roon Server
12V/4A: WiFi AP Router as Ethernet Switch
USB 5V/1A: Allo DigiOne as Roon Bridge

Everything works and it really enhance SQ well.

2 Likes

Exactly my configuration. Works nicely and better SQ.

2 Likes

My present configuration is Roon Core and switch powered by my HDPlex. My Teac NT-505 is cables into that same switch. Cabling is CAT 8 patch cables.

Would Fidelizer Nilola S 45W LPS 3.7a @ 12 volt be sufficient for Roon Nucleus?

For good quality/price: don’t forget the lab power supplies. I have a Voltcraft FSP-1134 powering my NUC to my full satisfaction. It’s 70€, 13.8V 4/6A, 55W, and comes with a nice analog ampere-meter to check current load. Ripple-noise is announced <2,5mV, I actually measured less than 1mV.
I found mine on Conrad https://www.conrad.fr/p/alimentation-a-tension-fixe-voltcraft-fsp-1134-510788?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_63pooD94QIVECjTCh01gQT1EAQYASABEgIzv_D_BwE

If it really delivers >3A without voltage drop, it may be enough for i3, not for i7. However, 19V should usually be used.

To be able to fully service the needs of a Nucleus i7 it needs to be a 65 watt PSU. The Intel specs say the voltage is OK but the available current would be insufficient. The NUC will probably run but put any load on it and you would run out of steam. So analysis or very heavy DSP.

The HDPLEX 200W Linear supplies push 10A at 19V (190W) but if you are running other devices as well then that limit could be exceeded. as an example I run a couple of RPi’s off of the adjustable supplies or a RPi and 2 FMC’s so Im using maybe 25-30W for those, plus the 19V for my NUC7i7BNH (no internal SSD and no fan) so ambient cooling then becomes important when you start running up past 50% of the rated outputs.

Maybe I should invest in an iR thermometer device, but I’m guessing as my non A/C ambient temp is in the low 30’s C they are probably sitting around 60-70C in still air.

Forgot to attach a photo.
Current load never goes above 2A, and is around 1A in operation, Roon Core active with DSP load x2 doing 8 channel convolution and upsampling to 384kHz. NUC is a 5th generation i5, dual core, in fanless Akasa case.

Did you notice a difference/improvement in SQ with the Voltcraft FSP-1134 LPSU?

Definitely over the stock PSU. I did not compare it with other “audiophile” PSUs.

Rémi that looks like a lead acid car battery charger mate(13.8V is a dead grove away there) :wink: more at home in the garage, unless the innards have been replaced with some better regulation perhaps :stuck_out_tongue:

NUCs have a specified input voltage of 12-19VDC, and the first thing this encounters on the board is a DC-DC converter (switch mode). I’m just not sure how linear power supply can improve the SQ, especially when there’s no analog stage.

I finally pushed the button on an SBooster Linear Power supply. I went to Munich High End show and Melco were there and are now recommending using SBooster with their kit. I was very sceptical at first on how a power supply could possibly make a difference, but it certainly does. The sound stage is now deeper and the overall sound just smoother. I wondering if its possible to get a linear power supply for the rest of my system which is all audio note kit.

1 Like

The gear would require an external DC supply. You can’t do it with something that plugs direct into the mains.