Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

What models specifically?

Your kit may already have linear power sections internally…

I have Soro SE Signature amp and 2.1x Signature DAC, it sounds really good but would be good to take it to the next level.

From a quick 'n dirty Google Images search, these look like their designers have put in some effort into their (linear) power sections (as expected)… this is quite a bit different to the stock Intel NUC board inside your Nucleus…

Even if you found somebody qualified to modify their power supply sections, there’s no guarantee you will like the result… it might end up sounding worse than what you have now and it might be a costly exercise to find out.

If you want to take things forward with that brand then buying up is the way to go. It is the sort of brand that does better as original kit than modified.

I recently got the Uptone Audio JS-2 and after some extended listening I’ve come to the conclusion that the results are excellent in terms of sound quality improvement

1 Like

19V is preferred. At 12V there is no margin for voltage drop, which is not uncommon.

2 Likes

Be careful not to feed into people’s paranoia here. A well designed and correctly specified PSU operating at between 12 and 19 volts will be fine. If there is excessive voltage sag then it is specific to the PSU in use, not to the chosen voltage. Indeed, if you choose a higher voltage to mask voltage sag you aren’t actually doing yourself any favours.

Hmmm. Even though I’m not a hardware engineer, I think I know what I was saying. If people don’t trust me, they can at least trust Intel:
https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XlHSAU/how-to-power-the-nuc8i7hnk-with-only-12-volts?language=en_US

1 Like

My apologies, I didn’t mean to infer that the issue was one of trust. It is worthwhile clarifying what we are talking about here though. The link refers specifically to the latest 8th gen NUCs and also makes mention of the fact that previous NUCs, the Nucleus included were based on hardware the was specc’d to run on 12-19v. That was what my comments referred to, and based on the title of this thread I don’t think I was wrong to comment. Obviously it is correct that for the 8i7HN* devices that advice would be different.

I’m sure you gentlemen know a lot more than I do. For the moment however it’s working fine. I’m just your usual run-of-the-mill Dr, not an audio engineer

If you are using a server to stream music to network players via Ethernet , I don’t see the purpose of a LPS . Ethernet is galvanically isolated

2 Likes

I have a lot of experience fiddling with PC audio, adding 7x LPS to my 2 JPlay PCs - so the very thought of a switched mode PSU into my nucleus was troubling me.

On my 2nd system I’m running mine via a sotm sms-200 ultra neo into some LS50 wireless, so the ‘unless it’s direct to dac vis usb’ isn’t me

For $127 and peace of mind I got a 19v 4.5A LPS from eBay. Just arrived. It’s very well made - and better still, initial impressions are very good

Another veil lifted

It’s true, everything does matter

I’ll buy another, for the 5v into my Paul Pang switch…
Cheers
Andy

1 Like

I use an older version of the 200W HDPlex lps for my Nucleus+. In general it is very good and the sound quality is heads and shoulders above the switching supply that came with my Nucleus+ (I just did a listening test on a Mozart piano quintet and the difference was painfully clear, so much so that I would immediately replace the lps if I need to). FYI, I only use the network connection on the Nucleus+.

Unfortunately, the HDPlex has a tendency to lose the 19v rail sometimes. When that happens the voltage measured on that outlet is less than 1v. My experience is that a 10 minute downtime (unplug the HDPlex as just flipping the power switch puts it in standby mode) will allow the circuit to fix itself (no idea how) and everything will be ok for weeks/months to come.

I would use the 12v outlet, but it is the Summer and Con Edison is known to drop the voltage frequently.

Recently received (the latest version) HDPLex 200W for my Nucleus +. Must admit that I am very very satisfied with overall results that truly exceeded my expectations.

This is the potentiometer that is bad, I thought it only affected the adjustable 19V but it also controls the fixed 19V. After I put in a new potentiometer (not very hard to swap out) it works as it should and if you contact Larry at HD Plex he will send you a new one.

I am in the UK and recently bought a Custom Hifi Cables DC3 power supply with Mundorf capacitors and high current boost module for my Roon Nucleus+. This power supply is designed and made by the company owner Sean Jacobs, who also designed the power supplies for the high-end two-box Innuos products. His power supply has brought a substantial lift in performance, with gains in resolution, detail, instrumental texture, soundstage and PRaT. There is probably more to come as it completes burn-in. I am very happy with my purchase. It more than doubles the performance lift vs the QNap NAS I had previously.

Hello,

I want to help you stop looking for the grail at the wrong place.
Sure LPS brings value to the sound. I had great fun placing LPS over all places even the router.
If money costs then there is a better way. Go to the source of the path. The ROI is much higher, very much.
You are plugging gold into dirt if you don’t take the source seriously, trust me, I wished someone would have told me this before.
http://www.gigawatt.eu/produkt/circuit-breaker-gigawatt-g-c16a-2p/
http://www.gigawatt.eu/produkt/in-wall-cable-gigawatt-lc-y-mk3-3x4/
http://www.gigawatt.eu/produkt/schuko-wall-socket-g-044-duplex/
The sum of this is close to an LPS but I can tell you it gives much more and you can still put LPS on top if you wish.
Okay, this seems more work to put the thing but think twice. Is it really?
I did it and it was the first time my wife jumped in the living room saying the improvement was stunning. She thought I bought a new amplifier or something crazy.
Look at the cost and trust me, nothing comes close.
The most impressive thing is that I can now even put the volume at a dance party level with zero distortion. Unexpected fun!

2 Likes

mmmm it is no longer AVALAIBLE

maybe leave your name on the notify list and wait for new hardware runs. That what I had to do.

Maybe you are interested in my power consumption measurements with a “self build Nucleus”:
Intel NUC 7i3 - Roon ROCK - power consumption measurements