Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

This is true. I did all this kind of stuff so many years ago, I take it for granted now, but it’s good to be reminded it’s the fundamental basis on which to build any system.

Personally, I got/get all my mains stuff from Russ Andrews, who pretty much pioneered this kind of thing back in the day, so they are an alternative source of such things.

Kimber mains weave is excellent stuff for installation and they have very good sounding RCDs and sockets of all kinds.

Mains Installation (page 1 is mainly UK, but Euro and US sockets, etc. on further pages).

Their mains filtration, etc. is also excellent in my experience.

Since a couple of days I am using a Farad lineair PSU (designed and produced in The Netherlands). Compared to the standard switching PSU or a Keces P8 it outperforms both. More quiet background and resolution improves without being harsh.

Unless you connect the DAC directly to the Nucleus (via USB), the best power supply to use is the original one. Transferring audio over network can in no way be effected by type of power supply used on the Nucleus. If the theory that power supply have an effect; the thing we call the Internet would not work :smiley:

Your Roon endpoint got a buffer, and a bullet proof system for resending broken network packages. Timing for reading from buffer and generating 0’s and 1’s which again are representing the audio stream for DAC is in fact controlled by the Roon endpoint itself; same for requesting more data when buffer needs to be populated (this happens before buffer is empty; else you will hear a clear breakage of audio during playback).

Save your money.

Edit:
Everyone should watch this video

9 Likes

As arguing doesn’t make sense, I won’t.
Just try this yourself and let me know your listening experience.

3 Likes

What, spend well over €500 to try something out to see if we have an improved listening experience? I can’t afford that game, along with many others. And if I could, I don’t believe I will hear any improvement, but jolly good for those who believe they can. Each to his own, methinks.

1 Like

Well, if you can’t afford it, fair enough. But if you can, and the product is offered on sale or return, fair enough equally to give it a try. At which point one might have an experience worth respectfully sharing.

1 Like

I’m afraid that is simply not true. The impact of a well-designed and built LPS with a large toroidal transformer was easy to hear in my system, including in blind tests. And I’m not the only person to have experienced this. I bought on sale or return and would have been delighted to send the thing back for a refund, just as I have done with various “hi-end” Ethernet cables etc., but it stayed.

5 Likes

This sale or return business is the ‘Puppy Dog Close’.
Once’s you’re get the puppy home most people keep it as it’s part of the home now.

1 Like

My neighbour’s dog is about to have a litter of puppies. I won’t look!

1 Like

Me thinks you’ll have a puppy very soon, Call it Roon… Then you have voice command :joy:

3 Likes

In my case as I live in The Netherlands, the manufacturer was so kind to borrow me the complete Farad PSU. No down payment, nothing!
A no brainer to do the test and even easier to send it back. The result is in our system very good.
It might depend on your system, that’s some I won’t argue about either. At a high end system each change is a change in SQ for good or for worse :joy:

I’m just tired of it. Chasing after little niggles here and there. Played that game and don’t want to do it anymore.
I totally get it, but I’m out.

1 Like

I got an HDPlex LPS for my Nucleus. I didn’t think it would make a difference in the sound and it didn’t. Is that expectation bias? Anyway, I got it because I don’t like wall warts.

3 Likes

Did you get the 200 or 300W?
How hot does it get?

Thanks.

This is the same one that I use to power my MAC Mini (12VDC) and my AudioByte Hydra DDC (5VDC).

I like all the options with number of outlets plus all the adjustability. I run it 24/7 and though it runs warm it works really well!

I got the 200W and it doesn’t get hot.

1 Like

I have the 300 watt. Running a 5 volt and a 12 volt draw…it runs between 90 and 100 degrees F depending on ambient. It seems built like a tank though!

My Nucleus+ makes a high frequency sound that is constant and seems to repeat every 2-3 seconds. It is very annoying and I would like to eradicate it if possible.

Here is a link to a video of the sound. It is much louder than what the video is picking up due to the mic picking up other sounds around it but it is the constant sound my Nucleus+ makes as long as it is connected and not analyzing database upon startup.

Would a power supply replacement help with this sort of issue?

1 Like

Sounds like coil whine.

Possible but possibly unlikely. Depending on how aggravated you feel, you might want to have a chat with the dealer you bought your Nucleus from.

I bought it from Roon and have already chatted with them. They aren’t gonna take care of this issue—regardless how aggravated I am.

I am on my own to look for ways to address it. Thanks.