Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

Might not be the best of what options you have but maybe relocating the nucleus to a place where it can’t be heard and have a network connected endpoint for your dac if you don’t already.

Thanks. I still want a USB connection to my endpoint for DSD.

I don’t want to hijack this thread. I just wanted to see if you knowledgeable folks on the topic of PS felt it would help my noise issue. I think this has been answered, so please continue without me.

:upside_down_face:

I am attempting to order a cord from Ghent Audio for my new Keces P8 to connect to the Roon Nucleus Plus. Which power cord do I order? The stock will not fit into the back of the Nucleus Plus.

1 Like

Hi Gregory,

I’ve ordered the following model from them a couple of weeks ago:
DC-7N16C—Oyaide Plugs DC(JSSG360) Cable
Type: 2.1G—2.5G
Length: 1.0m
I haven’t received it yet has there are lots of shipping delay due to current worldwide situation.

I need the same size connector that comes out of the Roon Nucleus Plus unit for both ends (Keces P8 is the exact same size). Which size would that be? Which cord would I order?

I do have the same configuration as you:
Keces P8 to Power up Nucleus + Rev B. And DC output from P8 isn’t the same size as Nucleus DC input hence why I’ve ordered a Type: 2.1G—2.5G.
Do you have a Nucleus Rev A or B? I’m not familiar with the rev A DC input.
KECES DC cables from the box are supplied with size adaptors for that purpose and I’m using those until the Ghent cables arrive.
Best.

I have Rev A (the original model)

That’s a 2.5. If you want a nice one, try this. It’s what I have on my Keces P8 and Roon Nucleus+.

Here is another option, I got it from the UK and it’s pretty decent. I Use it with my Keces P8

1 Like

I like the Sbooster LPS ‘s . I do think they make a difference in sound quality and have measured well .
I don’t think that it’s a huge difference , but a decent incremental improvement.

:warning: :no_entry:

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
For the original Roon Nucleus we offer our BOTW P&P ECO 18V – 19V MKII unit. For the Roon Nucleus PLUS we also offer our BOTW P&P ECO 18V – 19V MKII unit, but with this upgrade you cannot use the DSP function of the Nuleus in combination with the BOTW P&P 18V – 19V MKII unit. This because the additional power consumption of the DSP function leads to an increased power consumption of the Nucleus which is too high for the BOTW power supply.
Regards, Wiebren

I have to say that this isn’t good practice with a power supply is it? The proper advice should be do not use with an i7 device. You might be able to tell people not to use DSP but you can’t tell them not to do analysis of files which is an essential part of the Roon process and can be a prolonged and high energy activity.

4 Likes

I agree. A good fit should translate to more performance instead of less.

I wouldn’t expect [quote=“Kristofa, post:153, topic:43495, full:true”]
I agree. A good fit should translate to more performance instead of less.
[/quote]

I think it is about allowing a device to do what it is specified to do. When you list the reasons why you would purchase a + over a regular Nucleus, it is about power. To buy a Nucleus + and mate it to any PSU that stops it being used fully is a really strange decision.

An alternative to the linear power supply. This is admittedly expensive and it’s only available on the used market but it might be worth it to some, so FWIW, I own an Audio Alchemy DMP-1 Media Player and its associated linear power supply, the PS-5. I’m told that if I want to better the Nucleus, I should download the music I want to play to a USB flash drive and attach that to the back of the DMP-1. This bypasses the Nucleus completely and the listener gets the full benefit of a superb music player, the DMP-1.

So the stock PS with the Nucleus+ is preventing it from performing as advertised? Or at least under powering the Nucleus+?

The stock supply is fine, as you would expect. It provides enough current at the specified voltage no matter how hard the Nucleus+ is working. That is the minimum and most basic requirement of any PSU.

So what you are suggesting is ditch Roon?

Not at all, I’m suggesting to bypass the Nucleus. By copying music out of the Nucleus library to a USB flash drive and then transferring the flash drive to the DMP-1 you are bypassing the Nucleus’ audio signature on the music and getting the benefit of a superior musical player in the DMP-1.

1 Like

What you suggest will bypass Roon. You can’t control playback from Roon using your suggested actions. You could potentially use Roon as a means of curating and displaying your music but control would need to be from a completely different interface.