Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

That’s true enough, yes. One must use the browser feature of the DMP-1.

@Bill_Janssen Background here is that I am using a 19 v SBooster that according to SBooster has 36 total watts of power available to my Nucleus (I3). I am not sure how to figure your calculation of amps times voltage. What I have been able to find is the Nucleus uses 10w (per a Stereophile review), the 2.5" SSD uses 5w and the USB device (I think the JCAT USB isolator qualifies here) is 3w (from SBooster website). A total of 18 watts. Even SBooster says their LPS is not suitable for the Nucleus Plus, so my question is how much more power does the Plus use? Also, my Nucleus runs cool all day. I am using the default DSP set up and very happy with the sound quality. Thanks

Then if better performance is not as necessary as more power…but the stock power supply will provide enough, what is the point of upgrading the stock power supply?

There is not a point. Roon themselves do not advocate this or say that doing so improves anything. And you might be voiding your warranty, I would double check before changing anything.

No point.

Upgrading power supplies on analog equipment maybe a good idea, on digital equipment not so much.

I think I am understanding. Looks like I can chalk this up there with spending hundreds on an Ethernet cable for my Nucleus+

Over and out.

1 Like

Hi @Rugby, the following is from the Nucleus White Paper:
"The Nucleus requires a 19V DC supply, which meant we had several options. The most elegant product choice was designing an internal AC-DC switching power supply board, which would have meant a single external AC power cable from the Nucleus to the wall. We rejected this approach, though, because we realized that in our target markets, one size doesn’t necessarily fit all.

Depending on whether the Nucleus is connected to audio equipment directly (via USB/HDMI) or indirectly (via ethernet) there could be advantages to different switching power supply designs, and the possibility of a DC filter might make sense in some configurations. In addition to those options, in the audiophile world there might be a preference for a linear power supply, which would require a different thermal design, substantial additional cost, and more safety certifications.

Taking all these variables into account, we took the pragmatic decision to include a simple external “wall wart” DC power supply with the Nucleus. The wall wart is an appropriate solution for the vast majority of users, and for those with different requirements, a wide variety of third party switching and linear supplies and filters are available."

I don’t think warranty violation is valid here and there are IMHO great results in using a LPS.

3 Likes

I am not sure of the official stance of the nucleus warranty when using a different power supply. I have not been able to find an “official” statement one way or the other. There have been comments that people could construe to mean it will still be in warranty; but, that is not something I’d bet my significant investment on without knowing.

1 Like

I use a USB from the Nucleus to my DAC. Works great. The Nucleus still finds my other endpoints ie. Window PC and 2 Bluesound products.

Sure, and I use a USB from my Intel NUC, works and sounds great, however, I did not bother to upgrade my power. I didn’t hear a difference SQ in testing.

The point of the quote was that if you were only connecting to endpoints via the network and not directly, then there is even less of a point for a power supply upgrade.

And I agree, we are both right.

You are managing to spectacularly miss my point. My point is the most basic starting point is a supply that provides enough power and does not cause interference by injecting excessive noise into the device being powered or back into the mains supply. An Intel approved switch mode supply will meet those requirements. My comment was made about a product that would promise lower noise characteristics than the standard supply (subjectively a good thing) but was unable to supply sufficient power when the Nucleus+ was subjected to a high load (unacceptable). It was about the device being spoken about not having enough power. Not about any other property of after market supplies. I’ll leave that to you guys.

Can someone please tell me what size D/C plug I should order with my LPS for the Nucleus?

1 Like

I measured my NUC7i5 it has M.2 SSD for ROCK OS and second SSD for music.

This is with regular 44.1/16 no DSP

19Vdc average 0.57A (10.83W) and peak 1.5A
15Vdc average 0.69A (10.35W) and peak 2.1A
12Vdc average 0.81A (9.72W) and peak 2.8A

Average is during play to Roon endpoint. Peak was during start up.

I have not measured amp usage during a scan for example but if all cores are being used during a library scan I suppose we can see constant use high as peak is in my test.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m using the top LPS for the Nucleus

The bottom one for the optical link and the Paul Pang switch

I’ll be running a dedicated mains line from the main junction box for these - since another PS Audio power regenerator would be OTT

I’ll fix the DC line from the LPS to the Nucleus as well. It’s too long for started

I’ve got some spare solid silver wire and PTFE tubing left from my SOtM PSU cable upgrades so I’ll use that up

I have the Roon Nucleus, for those who have added a linear power supply to the Nucleus can you tell us how much of an improvement you got in terms of performance and sound from the Nucleus by adding the LPS.

1 Like

Probably zero. It’s all digital at that point.

1 Like