BETA Release 2024.01.90

Hi,

A new BETA release is available, which will become the next RoPieee release.
the update on the beta channel is available for the Pi3, PI4 and Usbridge platforms.

Here’s the changelog:

• NEW: low-latency kernel (Pi4 only)
  • NEW: (experimental) support for Spotify Autoplay
  • ENHANCEMENT: update Linux kernel
  • ENHANCEMENT: update Plexamp component
  • ENHANCEMENT: heavily reduced image download size, now also for the Pi3 family

Pretty calm release, although the low-latency kernel is worth mentioning. Furthermore the Roon extension is rewritten which does not bring any new functionality, but prepares for showing other metadata then Roon on the screen.

So how can you help?
If you install this update (first you need to switch to the beta channel on the ‘advanced’ tab) please report in this thread a thumbs up or down, combined with info about your platform.

Please keep this thread clean from the ‘it would be nice if…’ or ‘does this release have…’ or ‘when are you…’. That’s not what this thread is about.

Thanks!

5 Likes

EDIT 2.

The extension had to be enabled for the display (expected), and the other unit had to be rebooted after to have the display work properly (not expected).

:white_check_mark:

Both 2024.01.90 (1337) [beta].

Unit 1

• Hardware: Pi3
  • Network: ethernet
  • Audio: HiFiBerry HAT
  • Display: No
  • Remote: N/A

Unit 2

• Hardware: Pi3
  • Audio: N/A
  • Display: Yes

I have switched the channel but there is no update
what else should I do?

Wait for the update to be downloaded to your device — check back in a few hours.

1 Like

got it
thanks

Hi Harry -

Saw the Beta available post, logged into my Pi4 (had already switched to beta channel) and it showed as Available. Installed by manually triggering, went fine and cycled to completion (web page showed update in progress status then update complete, without manual refresh).

One odd thing: I have a Roon Ready Naim Nova, which was playing TV audio via optical input. It is also enabled as a RoPieee UPNP endpoint (per earlier testing a couple years back). When the updated Pi4 showed reboot complete, the Nova switched to UPNP input by itself. I found this to be unusual and possibly / probably undesirable behaviour.

Roon is working as expected to the Roon Ready and UPNP inputs on the Nova, plus to the USB DAC attached to the Pi4.

No other issues observed. Good so far @spockfish

Per @Nathan_Wilkes report format:

Unit 1 2024.01.90 (1340) [beta].

• Hardware: Pi4 Model B Rev 1.2
  • Network: wifi
  • Audio: Direct connection to USB DAC
  • Audio: UPNP ROON Bridge connection to Naim Nova
1 Like

Greetings @spockfish:

I upgraded to the beta release of RoPieeeXL 2024.01.90 (1339) to my Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W successfully, but I still have reduced playback volume in Plexamp. I mentioned this problem here and here. I believe the volume was working correctly in Plexamp for me in build 20230924.1116. Someone mentioned submitting feedback to you, but I was not sure if it was appropriate to submit feedback to you without your consent.

I can also downgrade a previous build and report back to you if it is more helpful to you. If you would like me to downgrade, please let me know which build to install and if I should update you in this thread or elsewhere.

Best regards,

RU

Good so far…

…on USBridge.

mostly OK, barring FLIRC remote, see update post below

2024.01.90 (1338)
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
wired ethernet
USB DAC
no display
FLIRC remote

Updates worked fine for my two units:

Both RoPieeeXL 2024.01.90 (1340) [beta]. Kernel version: 6.1.74-SPCKFSH-v8+

Unit 1

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5
  • Audio: USB Inmotion Air
  • Remote: no

Unit 2

• Audio: USB to Schiit Fulla/UE boom 2
  • Display: no
  • Remote: no
1 Like

hmm, looks like I spoke too soon…

Seems that my FLIRC remote has stopped working, since the upgrade. Was working immediately before.

I’ve verified the operation of the remote control itself, with another device.

feedback sent: f3fc25b0d16412ad

RoPieee 2024.01.90 (1338)
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
wired ethernet
USB DAC
no display
FLIRC remote

thanks very much.

Have you checked the extension in Roon?

Thanks Harry. It’s a little odd. The main extensions page has nothing. But clicking on View shows RoPieee; see screenshots…

The “last seen” doesn’t look right, though?

This is from a Remote running on MacOS.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 11.49.34 pm

I’ve restarted the Roon Server service on my Linux server, and the Roon Remote app on my Mac. And shutdown, then power-cycled the RPi.

Also checked the FLIRC/zone settings in RoPieee, set to Flirc, and my zone is correct.

But no change.

pi3 model b rev 1.2
(no display, no remote)
wifi
usb audio (audioquest dragonfly black)
roon, plexamp, airplay2

i recently got a pi zero 2w, so far i can’t reproduce the volume issue, but i have some ideas and will keep trying … i’ll follow up in your original thread on this, as i don’t think it’s related to this current beta

I upgraded ok, but I had a slight hiccough in initial behaviour explained below.

• Network: Wifi (by necessity while renting)
  • Audio: USB
  • Display: Yes (unsupported Waveshare SPI)
  • Remote: No

When I upgraded the new display extension appeared as expected, but even after enabling it the display wasn’t showing. I then went to my Home Assistant dashboard to play audio (HA is quicker than Roon :man_shrugging:) and it said that my endpoint was offline. I then went to Roon Audio page, and saw that my endpoint was correctly showing… clicked on device setup and the second I did this the screen enabled and my endpoint showed up again in Home Assistant. So, it’s like it was in some weird state where the endpoint had come up again but Roon hadn’t quite realised and fully enabled the zone. Anyway, all streaming perfectly now but the display is not always showing the zone correctly (which I realise is unsupported and not your problem, but seems worth mentioning as it’s been rock solid for over a year).

ok, I’ve worked out what is going on with the new display mode. The old extension used to handle grouped zones very well, if I was showing Zone “Bedroom” then when I grouped it with others it would simply show “Bedroom +1/+2 etc”.

The new extension doesn’t seem to handle grouped zones… if I’m playing directly it shows fine. if I group with others, the extension can no longer find the Zone “Bedroom”.

Hey Harry, I’m well aware of what low-latency means, and why the kernel differs versus other priorities, but I’m not really sure why this is particularly relevant to Ropieee?

I’d have thought that apart from the initial play/pause (which is hardly slow even with grouped streams) we really wouldn’t have any need for a latency focused kernel. I’m not averse to it, I’m just interested to know how/why it helps. :slight_smile: