Bit perfect rip with HDCD not engaging DAC processing

Can you plug your DAC directly into the Mac and test it that way? It will help point the finger a bit.

While not pertinent to your current scenario, I did want to point out the the Volume Leveling engaged at the Audio Settings, Zone Setup, is separate from the DSP setup area. You can in fact turn off the DSP Engine, but still activate DSP via Volume Leveling. They are separate.

No longer have the hardware that supports connecting USB from MacMini to S/PDIF connections of the DAC. And I am not even sure, given that the DAC has no RAAT support, that I could even play from the MacMini, other than via Core Audio. So, that would not make much sense, as it would not be testing the actual setup.

I did see that, and as you say it’s not pertinent. I’ve a Geek Out connected to another iMac in my network and it too has no volume control. So, similarly “grayed out” function in settings.

You could configure Roon Core to use exclusive with it if you could plug it in. But you can’t so we move on.

Zone settings not Device settings.

All tha I find related to the dCS device’s zone

Hey Steve,

It’s not in Settings. You want to right click (long press) the Zone Picker at the bottom right of the screen, next to the volume icon.

There you will see Zone Settings.

Cheers, Greg

Aha! Here’s what I see

1 Like

Hi @stevebythebay ----- Thank you for the continued feedback and more importantly, thank you for your patience. My apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, we would like to test with some of your media in house to gain a better understanding of what could be going on here. Would it be possible for you to share some media with us via a dropbox download link that is exhibiting the mentioned behavior?

“So, I then went and plugged the same thumbdrive directly into the MacMini and had Roon scan and play it. But in this instance something is not right – the downstream LED does not light up.”

-Eric

I’ve asked Marcia Martin of Reference Recordings about providing some songs from a few of the non-working disc as well as working ones, given that this is all copyrighted material.

And I’ve reached out to dCS as well, since it would appear that the problem is most likely between Roon Core and the immediate downstream dCS Network Bridge.

Unless you have one of these in house at the moment, only dCS engineering will have the ability to see what’s arriving from Roon and being sent to the HDCD supporting DAC.

1 Like

Received the following from Marcia of Reference Recordings:

"Dear everyone,
I think it is important to make sure Roon Labs has some original, uncorrupted/unchanged HDCD encoded files to test. If requested, Reference Recordings will be happy to send some files for testing to them. It might take a few days since most of my engineering team is out at a recording session. Steve, you should also send them your working and non-working files so they can test the problem you’re experiencing. We should test with more than just the RR-93 Copland 100 disc too, in case there is some anomaly specific to that disc. l

Yes, this is all copyrighted material but you may have permission to use it for testing purposes only."

Please let me know how best to provide the non-working and working files, with Marcia’s agreement. I think you wanted to have me add this to a shareable Dropbox folder.

Hi @stevebythebay — Being as this is copyrighted materials, a link to shareable Dropbox folder in a PM addressed to me would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
-Eric

Just sent a PM with link to folder with non-working album Copland and working one of Respighi. Former is in WAV format and latter ripped AIF

Hi @stevebythebay ---- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that your PM has been seen and the content has been downloaded for testing.

-Eric

Re rip the Copland in FLAC and report using XLD

Did this once already with same negative result. However, if there are any specific settings I should use, let me know. I’m assuming I should output as WAV files.

FYI. XLD does not support FLAC, only WAV, AIFF and a few other Endian based options.

Oh but it does! It even supports uncompressed FLAC which i like very much! Upgrade time?

1 Like

Yep. Mikael has it right

U might want to revisit how u r ripping Steve

Discovered that the version of XLD on my iMac is way, way old. Downloaded new one and will do a FLAC rip. I’m assuming I need to disable Replay Gain flag and verify encoding.