Blipping when playing Internet Radio on Boulder 866

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus plus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router is Asus AC66U B1
Nucleus Plus is connected via Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Only playback machine is the Boulder 866 integrated.

Description Of Issue

Periodic blipping/clipping when playing Internet Radio stations like Radio Paradise, The Jazz Groove, Bay Smooth Jazz and HappyDay New Age. I’ve just updated the Boulder’s firmware to version 1.08 but it hasn’t helped. Please help,

To add on to my earlier post on blipping, I’m wondering whether it’s anything to do with the DSP settings in Roon? Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi @Sivanithy_Rathananth,

Does this happen for non Live Radio content? Does it happen even if you play to System Output of a remote?

Can you share a screenshot of the Signal Path when you’re playing radio content to this device?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

The blipping is only when playing Live Radio and not when using Tidal or streaming from my NAS. Oddly enough, I have another Roon Ready unit, which is the Cambridge Audio 851N network player in a different system in another room, which plays the same stations via Roon without blipping.

I’ve also asked Boulder about whether it’s Roon’s DSP that’s the issue and they’ve just replied with the recommendation to turn off DSP. I’ll try this as soon as possible and will update you further. If it doesn’t work, I’ll send you the screenshot that you asked for.

Hey @Sivanithy_Rathananth, and thanks for the update! I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

I believe the Boulder 866 is upsampling the stream to 352.8 kHz. Could this be the source of the problem ?

Any suggestions?

Hello @Sivanithy_Rathananth, does this still occur if you play to system output of one of your remotes? Also, could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with a timestamp (in your local time) so I can enable diagnostics for your account? Thanks!

Hello, the problem doesn’t occur when playing Internet Radio with my other Roon endpoint, which is a Cambridge Audio 851N.

It only happens with the Boulder 866 integrated and only with Internet radio. There’s also significant blipping on the 866 when I open the Roon app on my iPhone or iPad when playing Internet radio.

My Boulder dealer in Singapore has the same issue in their showroom so it isn’t anything in my home network.

Boulder USA say they have blipping only when opening the Roon app but after that Internet radio plays without any problems.

Because I’m very sure the problem lies with the Roon-Boulder interface, I’ve suggested to Boulder that if they figure out why they have blipping when opening the app, then that might also help solve the problem that my dealer and I are having.

May I suggest Roon works with Boulder to work out why the interface or handshaking isn’t seamless when it comes to playing Internet radio?

Thanks

The time here is 2027 Singapore time

Hello @Sivanithy_Rathananth, I enabled diagnostics for your account but it looks like your Nucleus hasn’t made a connection is a little while. Could you please open Roon and use your Nucleus so the diagnostic can upload? Thanks!

Ok am doing it now and will leave Roon playing for the next 2-3 hours.

By the way, to bypass the problem, I’ve attached a dCs network bridge to the Boulder via AES and am plying Internet Radio through Roon to the dCs.

I hope you can solve this problem. Boulder is aware of it but they are having difficulty addressing it because they can’t replicate it in their system. However, like me, they have clipping when they launch the Roon app (after that the Radio plays without clipping) so they are looking at why that happens.

My dealer has the same problem as me - clipping when the app is opened and clipping when the music is playing - in its showroom so it can’t be anything to do with my home network.

Finally, it’s worth remembering that all this applies only to My Radio - everything else plays without any problem.

Thanks

Sorry I mistakenly played Roon through the DCS
So I’ve only just switched to the Boulder at 9.15am local time. It’s cliiping now. Please ignore the data before that time. I’m in Singapore.

So for that past 30 mins I was playing through the Boulder and experienced multiple clips. Between 9.15 to 9.45am Singapore time.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Hello @Sivanithy_Rathananth, could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Here is the link:

Hello @Sivanithy_Rathananth, and thanks for the logs! I’ve passed this information over to our QA team and will return to this thread once I have their feedback.

Helo @Sivanithy_Rathananth, and thanks for your patience while the QA team investigated the issue. I wanted to clarify if it mattered if the station was AC or mp3. Do you see this issue with all types of radio streams or just one?

It happens with all stations, regardless of whether the stream is MP3, FLAC (eg Radio Paradise) or AAC.