Blues or Blues-based Rock

Still gets at least a monthly play :smiling_imp:

Being a traditionalist , I maintain the “proper” album artwork, maybe proper is the wrong description :joy:

There’s a live album with Winwood & Clapton too , covers half the material,

Why did they stop ?

3 Likes

…a classic!

6 Likes

Can’t believe there’s no mention of Marcus King or the Marcus King Band yet in this thread! I’ve been hooked on him for years and recommend him to everyone.
RoonShareImage-637995336877952771
RoonShareImage-637995337197097971
RoonShareImage-637995337324463035

4 Likes

Thanks for the share, I will listen to some of his music

2 Likes

+1 Marcus is certainly someone worth checking out - !

2 Likes

The cover of Put A Spell on You…well done

4 Likes

6 Likes

There is a Bloomfield solo on the Electric Flag’s “Another Country” right after the sound collage. It starts out acoustic, kind of bossa nova feel and with every 16 bars it tightens up, the tone grows sharper, the bent notes bite. When the horns come in it is full-on glorious Bloomers, swaggering, preaching, playing counterpoint to the horns, soaring like a gospel soloist in front of the choir.

If there were a way to plug my mind into a receiver, I believe I could play back that solo note-for-note, I’ve listened to it so many times. I’d give my right arm to be able to play it note-for-note, too (but then obviously I couldn’t, etc, etc.)

You can hear various modern players referencing Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB, Freddie King, Albert Collins in their playing, but I haven’t heard anyone referencing Bloomfield except maybe Robben Ford. Maybe that’s understandable. Bloomfield’s playing is beyond technique, beyond tone, out there where the guitar becomes a voice.

Fast forward to 4:04 and turn it up loud!

4 Likes

Love Tab Benoit. Totally underrated but he’s fantastic!

1 Like

Hey @soks, totally agree! I’m happy to say that he’s a super cool, humble guy, and dyed-in-the-wool music lover. I’ve stage managed a few of his shows. Always a pleasure to talk music with.

7 Likes

Really enjoying this and looking forward to seeing her in a month at The Stables.

11 Likes

This is one of the most interesting explorations of Robert Johnson’s life and death

3 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/Le2ynJV.png

4 Likes

Chantel McGregor is a favourite. I’ve been a fan for around a decade after we first saw her perform at our local blues club (Joanne Shaw Taylor appeared there around the same time).
This is a well played cover:-

Samantha Fish played there too but we missed her. Here she is performing some years ago:-

Michael

5 Likes

The song Six Strings Down is on this album. What a poignant song for Jimmie’s brother Stevie Ray.

5 Likes

What a talent he was…and remains

5 Likes

True dat, @7NoteScale!

2 Likes

Very lucky to have seen him play live before his untimely passing.

2 Likes

Jimmie and Stevie grew up 2 blocks down the same street as my grandmothers house. And my first cousins lived on same street one block past them in the other direction. They were a couple of years older than me, but given their stories of playing as kids in Kiest Park, I suspect I a least saw them around when we were young. Many years later I used to see Stevie playing at the club Mother Blues on Lemmon Ave in Dallas, way before his first record. Saw Jimmie many times in the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Saw him last solo in maybe 2019 in the Iridium Room in NYC. Great contributors to the Blues!

5 Likes

Read SRV’s biography a few years after his death. His interest in the guitar was quite a process. He became a strong advocate of recovery and was in treatment locally. People who knew him said that he was a gentle individual. His Austin City Limits performances were great. It can be argued but many felt he was better than Jimi. Likely that’s not important with regard to history.

2 Likes