Blues or Blues-based Rock

i also read his bio. Surprising to me that he was basically couch surfing as a place to sleep almost until the end of his life. So sad that he was really fixing his life and career only to be cut short with a helicopter accident.

1 Like

@7NoteScale & @garym was that the Joe Nick bio? He’s about the only person other than Jimmy I’d trust to get the story right.

1 Like

SRV ran on the ragged edge for years with his addiction. He brought us great music, and we can be glad that he found sobriety.

1 Like

Yep, Joe Nick Patoski was the coauthor. Love his bio of Willie Nelson (Willie Nelson: An Epic Life), a fantastic read even if you’ve read other books on Willie. Also a big fan of Joe Nick’s exec production of the Doug Sahm documentary, “Sir Doug and the Genuine Cosmic Texas Groove”. If you like music journalism, you can’t go wrong with anything Joe Nick has written.

3 Likes

Please excuse the shameless plug here but I wanted to share this Blues Kickstarter project with you all. Some of my friends have recorded ten bluesy numbers and would dearly love to press them to vinyl. Please consider offering your support if you are able and so inclined

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roypoulton/bluesbeard-an-album-from-the-roy-poulton-blues-band?ref=thanks-copy

2 Likes

I was lucky to see SRV twice here in the UK. First time (October '86) he was clearly in the midst of his addiction. From my view at the front of the stage he looked about as sick as you can be while still somehow standing up playing a guitar. Amazingly his playing didn’t seem to be impacted at all, such was his talent. Found my old ticket stub!

His problems around the time are well documented, this article mentions the show I attended Addiction and Sobriety

I saw him again when he’d cleaned up - he was pretty evangelical regarding his new found sobriety and was keen to share his experience with the audience. His playing was on a different level - never seen any guitar playing that good before or since. A massive loss.

6 Likes

Great ticket stub.

The fear of addicted musicians is that they will never play as well sober…Ray Charles, Clapton, SRV, etc.

He surely became evangelical, as you note, when becoming clean and sober. The program really evokes that from those who benefit from it. Clapton made money from his addiction (program).

There are now more sobriety options like Smart Recovery.

SRV did a lot of nasal and sinus damage with the amount of cocaine he was using. He got clean here in town. Hygiene was not his forte.

Always interesting to speculate where he…or Cobain…or Hendrix would have gone had they survived.

But this is clearly off-topic.

1 Like

4 Likes

41EA-QI7AFL

4 Likes

Joe Lewis Walker - Hotel California

Builds very strongly toward the end

Interesting article I thought…

3 Likes

Great article - thanks for sharing! A few of those I know well, others not so much, so will be exploring quite a few in the coming weeks. No doubt there’s some great “younger” blues/blues-rock artists out there.

1 Like

YW!
I thought it would be of interest to quite a few music lovers here.
Likewise I will be working my way through the unknowns as well.
Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I’ve seen Martin Harley a few times, also when he tours with Daniel Kimbro and Sam Lewis. Amazing Talent. I’ve also seen and met Amythist Kiah at a small gig in Coggeshall when James Partridge (Blue House Music) was managing a tour.

There are so many great players missing from that list who usually play in bands…

Joe Wilkins ( Elles Bailey)
Joe Coombs (Annie Keating)
Max Milligan (Danni Nicholls)
Jim Maving (Case Hardin) and (Mick Ralph’s Blues Band)

This is just of the top of my head…

Some links… Joe Wilkins with Elles and Walter Trout

Joe Coombs with Annie Keating

Max Milligan

Jim Maving with Don Gallardo

Check out this playing…

I forgot to add Emily Linden playing with the Frankie Davies Band… Check out this cover of, The Chain…

6 Likes

4 Likes

9 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/NaWtZ8U.png

6 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/lPwEz5K.png

3 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes