Bookshelf Speaker recommendations?

So, I’ll be moving into a smaller apartment in the next couple of months and I’m looking to both upgrade the quality of my speakers while reducing their footprint. I’m current using a pair of KEF Q750s which are great, but a bit large for my future needs. On the upgrade front, I’m looking at spending $2500 to $3000 for a pair of bookshelves. For now they’ll be powered by my Marantz PM7000N (which will be next on the upgrade list) and sourced via Roon (Allo DigiOne Signature streamer) FLAC/Qobuz and a Rega Planar 6 for vinyl.

The big thing though is, I’d also need them to be effective and detailed at lower levels of volume (neighbors). Thanks!

If you like the KEF, how about the LS50, either wireless or Meta? I have the LS50W first version, but the second version, LS50WII, is Roon ready.

Another option I like is the Audioengine offerings, I have the HD3 on my desk and like the HD4 and A5s. They also have a passive offering but I have not heard them.

2 Likes

Im looking also for sth similar. But you need passive solution?
To be honest I always wanted to buy Sonus Faber which looks just great. I don’t like modern design (like KEF).

1 Like

If you were happy with the Q750s why not get the R3’s?

2 Likes

I went with the KEF LS50 Meta’s for a bookshelf and I’m not sad.
I added subs and stayed below your price point.

I drive it all with a Marantz @ 50w (iFi ZenStream for Roon)

If the room size (m^3) doesn’t warrant floor standing speakers, these work very nicely. IMHO

2 Likes

Because I’ll have the money to punch up a little higher and I’d like them to be a bit more on par with whatever integrated amp I decide to upgrade to (probably a Moon 240i or Hegel 390) in the next year or so.

1 Like

I’m definitely not putting a sub in an apartment.

I do need passive. I’ve read great things about the Sonus Faber Sonetto II’s (though the leather top is…kinda weird) and I’m eyeballing the Elac Vela BS403 as well. But I’ve heard the latter doesn’t perform as well at lower volumes.

2 Likes

If you do it right there is 0 reason to not have a sub in an apartment.

1 Like

I have an Arendal 1961 1S paired to a pair of Kef LSX in my office, and it makes a huge improvement to SQ. It would annoy the neighbours if I turned it up, and can easily rattle the doors and pictures I have hanging on the walls, but it also works well to fill out the sound at low to moderate volume.

1 Like

Sorry, but no. I don’t feel like having my neighbors hate me.

1 Like

I am sure they appreciate your caution.

I don’t need powered speakers and like I said, I’d like to spend a little more so that I don’t feel the need to replace them again when I upgrade my amp.

1 Like

One of the concerns I’d look into then is power rating. A lot of bookshelves can’t handle more than 100W peak.

If you plan on pushing any real amounts of power, this will be an issue.

As I mentioned, I’ll be in an apartment and am looking for something that plays well at lower volumes. None of the amps I mentioned (with the exception of the Hegel) push that much.

1 Like

I read great reviews of Buchardt Audio S400 MKII
But I’m not sure if they are real bookshelf speakers…
And efficiency - Sensitivity: 88 dB - not sure if there is any technical parameter which guarantees good SQ for low volume?

3 Likes

Those are absolutely beautiful as well. I’ll do some reading.

You should also consider the Dynaudio Special 40. Dynaudio Special Forty Loudspeakers – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE.

1 Like

Those look great. Prices on them have shot up a bit, but are still within the wiggle range of my budget.

1 Like

Another set of speakers I have liked are the DECWARE model DM945.