Bookshelf Speaker recommendations?

I wholeheartedly advise Harbeth p3esr: I’ve been owning them for a few years now and enjoy them all the time. Excellent imaging, neutral presentation, beutiful mid range, tight bass, never fatiguing, small footprint, excellent construction. End game speaker.

I recently bought a pair of D&D 8c’s to replace my Kef R3s. However, as much as I love the D&Ds I just couldn’t let go of the Kefs and so I simply moved them to another room. I think that they are astonishing value for the money.

1 Like

Yes, and it’s configurable. From the factory the screen showed the album cover, artist, and titles. I’ve since changed mine to display their version of VU meters. I can see all the details about what I’m listening to on my iPad. Seemed a waste to have the same information on the M33 screen, too.

Have a listen to Totem Signature Ones!

Also consider PSB Synchrony b600, they’re in your price range and punch well above their weight - and don’t rule out the Sf Sonetto.
https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/synchrony-b600-bookshelf/

Saw this KEF R3 listing on Amazon. Should I jump on this price? Seems weirdly cheap.

Am I missing something here? For the non-clickers, a pair of R3s is priced at $1666 rather than $2199.

I believe KEF is clearing old inventory probably in anticipation of new R Meta models or just an inventory alignment. Deals like these come along a few times a year and can be a great opportunity if you are in the market.

I went ahead and pounced on it. That’s just too good of a deal to pass up. I’m not seeing the discount at other vendors quite yet, so it made me a little hesitant. Now I just have to find a buyer for my Q750’s.

4 Likes

Excellent John, look forward to hearing about them after you get them set up. Timing is everything, glad you were able to take advantage, agree this is a fantastic price.

1 Like

Does anyone have any stand recommendations for the R3’s? There are the S2’s, but I’d rather not pay close to $500 for those.

I have heard good things about Monoprice speaker stands, but don’t know if their height or style match what you need. There are lots of options from other vendors at many price points.

1 Like

That seems like a good path to go down. Fill them with sand and call it a day.

EDIT: Yeah, Monoliths. That’s the way I’m going to go.

1 Like

I’m in the market for a pair of Tannoys, but if I were to covet a pair of powered bookshelves I’d give these serious consideration.

Powered with built in DSP and room correction. Save yourself some money on the integrated you were planning.

I already grabbed the R3’s, and all-in-one solutions like those speakers make me itchy.

Yeah, I saw your post after I made my post. Tried to delete my post, but the damn forum software wouldn’t let me.

Agreed, but these speakers seem to be state of the art. Still, longevity is something to think about.

Have fun with your new kit.

The R3’s showed up at about 5:30 (thanks Amazon) this morning and I rather groggily hooked them up. Even though I’m only using AirPlay right now (the Roon streamer setup is packed away) the difference between them and the Q750 was noticeable. They’re much more detailed and agile. Lacking a tiny bit on the low end, but that’s to be expected. They’re exactly what I wanted right now. I can’t wait to get them hooked up to the Roon environ and see how much better they can sound.

Thanks everyone!

7 Likes

And the KEF R3s are back up to $2,200 on Amazon. Glad I happened to glance last week and get them for that steal. Strange that it was just that one model, on that one site, in black that dropped in price for a short bit.

1 Like

I haven’t looked through the entire thread, so it had been mentioned before; but how about the ATC 19s. They might be a bit above 3K, but well worth the stretch!

I already bought the KEF R3s at a great discount. :sweat_smile:

Enjoy them!!!

If the KEFs should go from whatever reason, have a look at the ATC 19s :grinning: