Bookshelf Speaker recommendations?

KEF R3 are an excellent choice. Plays nicely at lower volume but clarion resolution at higher volumes. I have a NAD M10 which matches beautifully.

1 Like

Like I’ve said a few times already, I’m shooting for a higher price point to future proof.

@John_Claude
The brother of a very good friend - he had fantastic floorstanding speakers - wanted great sound in a small cabinet and chose the Magico A1. He is so happy that he can’t contain himself. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to hear the system yet; but he said you can buy the A1 blind. He hasn’t heard anything comparable yet.

Sorry - they are out of budget, I suppose. It was just an idea… :wink:

Haha. Yeah, just a bit out of my range.

1 Like

:flushed:
I must be daydreaming myself…

Similar to your setup, I’m running the NAD M33 into the KEF R3. Great combination.

A tiny bit of a stretch, but for the unique series crossovers, beryllium tweeter, and ScanSpeak Revelator woofer (very high-quality parts), the Fritz Carrera 7 BE is worth considering. My favorite stand-mount monitor so far, and I’ve had a bunch of them in my room (15.5 x 10.1 ft).

2 Likes

Kind of surprised not to see anyone recommend Bowers & Wilkins. They have a decent bookshelf speaker for just about every budget. And I’m not sure about distribution and pricing in the states but maybe check out the offerings from Fyne Audio. I loved my 701s and they also have a good range of bookshelves for different budgets.

2 Likes

Hi John. I’d like to add my two cents which I hope will help you rather than offend you by sounding patronizing. Please don’t exclude some pretty special candidates based on their price (or lack of a more hefty price rather).
My dirty secret, which I try to deny on a daily basis, is that I enjoy the LS50’s more than the R11’s. Price be damned!
That’s not to say the LS50’s are for you because they love broadcasting your beloved music to unwitting neighbours so you may get kicked out of your neighbourhood - unless you hook them up to 300B’s when they’ll sound wonderful at low levels. I only use the LS50’s as an example because my experience is based on these speakers. I hope you find the perfect partner for you.
Good luck and have fun in your quest!

3 Likes

For me also 2 things are important:

• not made/assembled in China (should be easier to achieve than other audio components) - because… In my case I live in EU and I want to support EU (covid case showed how bad was an idea to rely only on China + current political situation maybe not as important for most Roon users living in USA)
  • long guarantee which is maybe less important for passive speakers but then I feel that company believes in its products - 5y or more maybe?

Ok I forgot about less known brand - great looking speakers Xavian Perla:

NAD & KEF seem made for each other.
Thanks for reaching out.

1 Like

More money spent doesn’t necessarily buy better. KEF make wonderful speakers. LS50s are excellent. I have LS50Ws and R3s powered by NAD M10. Non-stop enjoyment…

4 Likes

I am leaning towards the KEF R3s now. It’ll let me put a little more money towards an upgrade from my PM7000N.

2 Likes

Does Roon utilize the screen at all on that M33 to display what you’re playing?

1 Like

These also look very promising; DALI RUBICON 2 - Compact loudspeaker with large performance

1 Like

Audiovector QR1. Beautiful with or w/o grilles, AMT gold leaf tweeter, front port so can be positioned near walls, 45hz-45 khz, $2399

Revel Performa3 M106s or M105s would be a very good choice. I own both and they sound fantastic.

1 Like

You said you want to “reducing their footprint” but speakers on stands don’t really take up less space that floorstanders do they? (I’ve yet to own any floorstanders).

For consideration, maybe take a look at the Proac range (DB3,DB1,D2)
https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/products/

I’ve not heard these specific speakers but I’m still in love with my small Proac tablette reference 8 signature speakers that I bought second hand 12+ years ago.and they sound great at modest volumes.(which is how I listen most of the time).

Check out review of the Tablette 10 Signature edition as well.

Sorry I wasn’t being overly specific. I just don’t want a monstrous floor stander which can be a pain in the ass to move around and aren’t terrible adaptable if I decide to not use stands.

1 Like