Brief click noise when tracks change

Mac Mini - Hi Face 2 - REGA DAC - Bi-Amped Cyrus

When I am listening with Roon I am now often getting a clicking noise when tracks change. This seems to mostly happen when the new track is at a higher bit rate than the previous track. This did not happen before latest software upgrade. I have tried manually setting sample rates to only 96 or 192 and that has helped somewhat. Are there other reasons this could be happening and any other solutions rather than upsampling?

Thank You

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

Try maybe upsampling in dsp to a fixed rate that works for dac.

Yes I did that. I upsampled to 96 but kept my 192 files at 192. This has helped somewhat. But I don’t really like upsampling.

You might search this forum for hiface and see if others have had similar issues…seems to ring a bell

Hi @Joe_Bornstein,

Just to confirm, this issue only happens on the Hi Face 2 zone? Can you please provide a screenshot of the zone’s Device Setup tab? Device setup looks as follows:

I have only noticed it on my Hi Face 2 zone connected to my stereo. My other zones are SONOs so they don’t have hi res files and connection there is wireless. Also problem only started after Roon upgraded software

Hi @Joe_Bornstein,

Can you verify that the firmware on this device is fully up to date? As seen below we’ve seen similar reports of this with this device and the issue was resolved with a firmware update:

Yes my firmware is up to date. Last week I changed some settings to upsample my files to 96 or 192. Now clicks are fewer

Hi @Joe_Bornstein,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs as well as what track is playing. Then respond here with that time and the track, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

So far issue has not repeated

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @Joe_Bornstein. If you see this issue return please do let us know.

All I did was set all low res files to upsample to 96 and all files higher than 96 to upsample to 192

Hello Dylan. Sadly the click problem just reoccurred today Friday at 3:58 pm Toronto time. The track that was playing was basic CD quality up samples to 96. The track following was same quality. At last 3 seconds of first song I heard scratching and clicking noises and then new song came on.

The first track was

and second was

Hi @Joe_Bornstein,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hello @Joe_Bornstein,

Thank you for your patience while we had a look at your diagnostic information.

From what we can determine, Roon is behaving normally during sample rate changes, and the interface isn’t reporting any issues through the USB driver either.

I’m not sure what could have caused this issue to pop up for you with the latest update, my understanding is that no changes were made in this area. The only thing I could think of is that the new update somehow enabled “Exclusive Mode” when is was disabled previously.

We do not have the Rega DAC-R in-house for testing, so we are unable to speak first hand about the issue. I tried changing sample rates with a handful of DACs on macOS using Exclusive Mode and did not experience any “clicks” during my testing.

Taking a look online, it appears that the Rega DAC-R “clicking” during sample rate changes has been reported by a few different users:

Given this information, my recommendation would be to use Roon’s DSP Sample Rate Conversion if you wish to avoid this behavior.

-John

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.