Bug report: play single track with convolution filter

Simple test: Play a single track (play now) with and without a convolution filter enabled and listen to the end of the track. With the filter enabled, the last second or two repeats. With it disabled, then track finishes as it should.

Build 269. End-point doesn’t seem to matter nor does the type, resolution or bit depth of file. Here’s a basic setup that will reproduce the issue every time. (It’s easier to hear it on a track that comes to an abrupt end and doesn’t fade out.)

What happens if you use Core Audio and not the OS Mixer?

Same result. I don’t think the end-point device matters. Only enabling or disabling the convolution filter causes the issue playing a single track only. It’s as if the buffering/processing of the convolution filter causes a problem figuring out when the track should end. If you select “play from here”, the end of the track plays fine and the next track starts without a problem.

Hi @pbphoto ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to pass your report over to our QA techs for further investigation but would like to gather the following information/materials from you to attach to my report. Please see below.

• Please provide a brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• Please provide us with a copy of the convolution filter and media that was used during your test in a “shared” dropbox link. While I understand that this appears to be a general issue I want to make sure the team has your testing materials just in case we come up with a different result :wink:

• I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account so we can have a closer look into what is going on when you are using convolution with a single track. Would you kindly reproduce the issue a few times, and let us know the exact time when you the error occurs during playback.

-Eric

Thanks Eric.

I was just testing with an AAC file on the Roon Core’s local SSD playing to the local core audio device to reproduce the problem between 15:15 and 15:35 US Central time. There is no network or NAS involved with this simple test. Your QA team should be able to reproduce this in 5 minutes with any music file - just pick one that ends abruptly and doesn’t fade out slowly.

Here’s the link to my convolution filter:
[moderated]

My Roon Core server:

05 PM

Here’s the path - note the source was in the local SSD Music Folder:

Hi @pbphoto ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested materials. Confirming that the convolution filter has been downloaded and attached to my report.

Once our techs have completed their testing I will be sure to provide you with an update ASAP. Your patience is very appreciated, while the team conducts their investigation!

-Eric

Hi @pbphoto ---- Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the wait.

To bring you up to speed, I have been able to reproduce the behavior you’ve noted in your report and have passed all materials over to our QA techs who will be carrying out the remainder of the investigation.

Once I get some feedback on their progress I will be sure to reach out with another update asap. Your continued patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @pbphoto ----- Thank you for your patience here while our team has been looking into the reported issue.

Moving forward, our devs believe that they have identified the issue and a fix has been set into place pending our next build release. Once the next build goes live, please update and let us know how things hold up.

-Eric

Hey @pbphoto,

Build #274 should fix this issue, let us know if you are still experiencing it.

1 Like