Build 1392/1390, Bug-fixes and performance improvements

Noted! If you haven’t done so already @dhusky, please share your ideas in the Feature Request section of Community. Our product team monitors the recommendations there. :+1:t3:

Hooray; great work all! The list of improvements has hit a lot of my personal pain points, so I’m excited to give Roon another spin shortly. Hopefully these changes will have me back to an ongoing subscription.

1 Like

First report about ARC showing only 12 results for a genre was in September 2022 (and there were a number of posts about it later), and it’s still the case:

This was a year ago:

And the only way in ARC to list a genre (12 items of it) is through an album‘s or artist’s Info tab and the genres there, AFAICT, and there’s a feature request also from September 2022:

[Edit: not true, just awkward to find, see @dhusky‘s post below]

2 Likes

I have to say, when we started compiling the Roon Icons playlist series (now playing in the Playlists by Roon section of the Roon home page for streaming users), I expected The The to be right up at the very toppermost of the poppermost based on how many searches people on Community make for them. But nothing, not even in the top 250, I was shocked! :scream:

A fix for that particular bug wasn’t included in our tally. But yes, there is an issue with that search string. There’s a ticket in, and it’s being investigated. We’re not sure yet why it’s taking longer for that query to return results, but we’ll get to the bottom of it as well. Matt Johnson fans will rejoice, the band will enjoy a long-delayed spike in popularity, and we’ll have all had a hand in that. :loud_sound:

2 Likes

FWIW there’s also the ‘More’ link on the home screen genres, although I agree that filtering by genres needs to be much more obvious, as well as working beyond the 12 album limit.

1 Like

Thanks, I forgot about this. As you say, this is subject to the 12 items limit as well.

And probably it would be easier to find and more naturally placed on the My Library screen:

3 Likes

Great work and well appreciated :+1: After installing and restarting my system performance (NUC12i7 ROCK) seems to have significantly increased when browsing through my 150k+ tracks library and I agree with the impression of what other have already described as “more snappy”, to which I would add “lighter” and “more responsive”. However, the performance improvement may vary depending on the individual configuration & setups. But apparently, my setup seems to have benefited from the fixed issues and bugs. Impressive improvement, thank you very much and keep up the good work…

1 Like

I don’t usually comment on new releases, but I’m really pleased with this one. Performance increase is clearly noticeable on my somewhat older hardware. Excited for more of these “boring” maintenance releases. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

4 seconds for me, FWIW

2 Likes

This update brings some solutions for long standing problems. Happy with the improvement on speed overall, and the sorting of albums in Arc. So far for me these were the ones in my top three. But the biggest bug, which also affects my general experience of Roon the most, is still there: the freezing of Roon remote after an album has finished. It’s under construction, I know. Patience will pay off some day :blush:

2 Likes

I am without reboot for the second day in a row now. Roon still responding, searches are ok. Looks good so far.

Started the day with a restart again. Album art loading slow, took about 20 seconds. Music stopped. Tried the famous The The search and after 30 seconds the result was “ can’t connect to Roon search “. Heaven doesn’t last

Edit: tried The The search for a second time. This time typed the search and pushed enter. Music stopped, lost audio endpoint and search crashed.

1 Like

Remote crashing when phone put to sleep or app pushed to background still very prevelant. This is the most pressing fix needed from my point of view. It affects my use of roon all the time every day as it does all users it’s affecting.

A focus on nailing this next would be greatly appreciated it will be 4 months by the time next update is likely out since this began to happen. I think most would agreed this is way too long for such an issue to prevail that has been replicated by your team.

8 Likes

Some new defects:

1. Search album no longer working
  2. Some covers disappeared
  3. Background audio analysis running endlessly

Raise a support thread for your issues and include your system information to get the quickest response.

1 Like

It is also my experience. Very, very annoying. I have to restart the app (up sweep) for it to connect again. Last listening session I might have done that about 20 times (I was in my “DJ mode”, not listening to,entire albums. All,too often, when I got my iPad to,select the next song to play, the app failed to,connect).

Agree on a quick fix needed.

3 Likes

Concur - I’m also regularly annoyed by the iOS Roon Remote app desyncing. I fix it with a manual swipe-kill and relaunch.

This is particularly annoying because I tend to hit it when I’ve been listening to Roon for a while (eg a full album) and then get interrupted by life. I want to quickly adjust volume, change track, pause… and that’s exactly when iOS has decided I’m not actually using the remote app!

There’s probably some logic that could push the Roon Remote app selectively into a more power hungry persistent mode. If I played something from the remote and it’s still playing, I probably want the remote warm. Plus I only use the remote app when I’m at home, so battery drain isn’t a huge issue.

Over all very happy with this recent focus on core performance and stability! This is the main thing I expect from Roon as a premium music engine, and the reason I pay for it instead of hacking together my own solution.

3 Likes

In general, some areas appear snappier on older hardware (Nucleus+ revA) but there are still some work to do, ironing out the bottlenecks.
I said that bringing up Focus was much snappier initially, but it doesn’t add up properly.
After a restart of Roon Remote (on iPad Pro 12.9" 2020, iPadOS 17.4.1) today, it takes way too long. And also rendering the new view when applying focus takes way to long (in my mind):

1 Like

Have you fed the Roon squid today? It might be hungry, hence why it’s hanging around :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You don’t need to apologize, on the contrary if all of this will only be about the marketing then roon will get the Oscar. Unfortunately for us it’s very much about the software and what can i say, for some time now it just looks more and more like something between Razzie and Golden Raspberry…